Teenage Fanclub Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wayneklein, Jul 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wayneklein

wayneklein Forum Fool Thread Starter

big fan of these Scottish rockers and wondering if anyone else is? I just picked up the five for one Original Album Classics releae from Sony for my brother and while we were rocking out it brought back memories of first hearing "Thirteen" (first album I bought by them).

Gotta love a band that names one of their songs after one of their idols (a la The Replacements with Alex Chilton) for the song "Gene Clark".

Thoughts, comments, guitar noise?

2. JohnBR

JohnBR Forum Resident

I usually see that song title printed as "Gene Clarke," so I always wondered if it was a double tribute to both Gene Clark and Michael Clarke? Seems like the clever sort of thing they would do.

I like this band too, especially their early classic "Everything Flows." But I don't know much about their history, basically only what can be read on the wikipedia entry. I remember when "The Concept" was in heavy rotation on MTV's 120 Minutes.

3. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

I'm a long-time big fan.
    Saw them play live many times between 1991 and 1995.
    I seem to gravitate to Gerard Love's tunes the most, but they're such a well-rounded band.

Speaking of Alex Chilton. Here's a great performance that he did with The Fanclub:

Purple Jim and Brudy like this.
  4. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

I'm a long-time big fan.
    Saw them play live many times between 1991 and 1995.
    I seem to gravitate to Gerard Love's tunes the most, but they're such a well-rounded band.

Speaking of Alex Chilton. Here's a great performance that he did with The Fanclub:

dlemaudit likes this.
  5. dbeamer407

dbeamer407 Forum Resident

Big fan of the band. I've been slowly trying to pick up the CD singles over the years. If there are any UK fans here that can get them for 25p or 50p all day long let me know! It's a different story here in the US, I think most of my singles come from a trip to London and another to Edinburgh and Glasgow.

6. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Is there any consensus as to what's their best album? I hear the name Bandwagonesque bandied out. Is that the best place to start?

7. stephencorkery

stephencorkery Forum Resident

Pretty big fan here. First saw them supporting Nirvana in '92 and caught them another 5 or 6 times over the years. Such a great live band, they could really nail those harmonies.

8. stephencorkery

I reckon Grand Prix would be considered their peak by most fans.

9. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

I actually love their last 3 albums almost as much as their early stuff. Howdy is possibly my favorite album by them.

wayneklein, s m @ and Marty T like this.
  10. stephencorkery

Some amazing songs on Songs from Northern Britain and Howdy! for sure. The quality fell of a cliff after that IMO...couple of songs like "It's All in My Mind" and "Baby Lee" hit the heights but they are few and far between.

11. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

It's correctly spelled "Clark" on the album. Don't think I've ever seen it spelled with an "e" in reference to this song (although it's been misspelled elsewhere plenty of times).
    Plus Michael was still alive at the time of the the album's release.

zobalob likes this.
  12. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Grand Prix is one of the greatest power pop (or, indeed, rock) albums of all time. Also love Songs From Northern Britain, and there are some good songs also on the other albums.

But they really peaked with GP, I think.

13. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Not for me. That album was more popular in the U.S. than the later albums, but, IMO, only a couple tracks on it are worthy of matching what would come on the next three studio albums: Thirteen, Grand Prix, and Songs From Northern Britain. There a bit of a grunge-lite feel to some of the material on Bandwagonesque that dates it unfavorably for me.

14. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

I'll see your "Gene Clark" and raise you a "Neil Jung"..... :D

Rick B., theMess, Bob J and 5 others like this.
  15. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I like Teenage Fan Club, they still sound fresh to me. I bought their debut album back when it came out.
    I also have the UK single cd, Star Sign with the bonus track, Like A Virgin. I was wondering how you all rate the album Thirteen. I have the cd with the extra songs on it, I think it's really great.

Man at C&A likes this.
  16. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

I'm a big fan of Teenage Fanclub. Songs from "Northern Britain" and "13" are my favorite albums but I like 'em all. "I Don't Want Control of You", "Straight and Narrow", "Everything Flows" and "If I Still Have Thee" are pop masterpieces. -Marty

dlemaudit and trumpet sounds like this.
  17. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

I love Thirteen (Big Star reference in the title, by the way) but don't think it quite matches the subsequent two albums for consistency. I'd rank it 3rd among TF albums.

18. Tom34772

Tom34772 Forum Resident

Add me to the list of Teenage Fanclub fans...

I would start with Grand Prix, then move on to Songs From Northern England, then to Thirteen and finally to Bandwagonesque.

The other albums are good as well, so if you are still loving them -- dig deeper...

Just my 2 cents,

--Tom

19. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

Coincidentally, I just ordered Bandwagonesque on vinyl from cdimports. The only other album I have is Songs from Northern Britain, which I thoroughly love.

trumpet sounds likes this.
  20. Tom34772

Tom34772 Forum Resident

Bandwagonesque is less song oriented and noisier than the other albums I mentioned.

But there two songs on there that are absolutely heavenly -- "The Concept" and "What You Do To Me".

21. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Bandwagonesque is my go-to for crunchy-play-loud just-for-fun power-pop.
    The Concept.
    What You Do To Me.
    December.
    Star Sign.

For some reason, it set a standard that when I heard their subsequent LPs, I was disappointed. Now I must replay them again...

Brudy, mooseman and Tom34772 like this.
  22. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

To me, their first 2 CDs "A Catholic Education" and "The King" were too loose and noisier, whereas Bandwagonesque jelled for me.

Heavenly is a great description for the powerpopness on that LP.

Tom34772 likes this.
  23. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

One of the great bands.

New album later in 2015.

Guy E, Tom34772 and zobalob like this.
  24. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

Aaaargh! WTF?...Scottish band, I think you'll find you have the title wrong...England indeed...huh...lol.

Tom34772 and rtrt like this.
  25. florandia

florandia Forum Resident

'Gene Clark' from '13' is the dogs bollocks as is the hidden track that follows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.