Rush - new 2015 vinyl and hi-res reissues thread. (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

well, when I wrote that I preferred the original 2112 to the new reissue people stomped all over me too!!

2. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

The original JAMF vinyl does sound really good and does have more detail. The added bass kind of nudged me in the Reissue's direction. (I always thought 2112 was a little bass-shy)

3. motionmover

motionmover Forum Resident

Everyone has different preferences, it is what makes the world and interesting place.
    We all have different setups, different equipment and different rooms. So it is not surprising some people prefer the original vinyl pressings over the 2015 releases.

For me, I prefer the 2015 vinyl releases. I have compared them to the original Anthem pressings and I find the originals to be brighter sounding and less punchy. In some one else's system they may sound less bright.

Let's respect each others preferences and tastes.

4. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

The original Anthem CD or vinyl pressings? Most of the original Anthem vinyl pressings are inferior to the US/UK's.

5. motionmover

motionmover Forum Resident

I was referring to the original Anthem Canadian vinyl pressings. I prefer the 2015 vinyl pressings.

6. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I think I prefer the originals as well. And to sacrifice usable vinyl space in order to squeeze in a gimmicky hologram was a bad decision IMO.

Hawklord likes this.
  7. Thrakintosh

Thrakintosh Well-Known Member

Yep. My original GK FBN pressing is not nearly as ... "defined" ...as the reissue.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  8. I think it sounds great in spite of that (just my opinion, of course).

boboquisp and Mij Retrac like this.
  9. cement_head

cement_head Forum Resident

One of the biggest reasons I've been looking forward too the RUSH reissues, is that for years I've been looking for clean, decent originals and couldn't find them. Found originals, but they were beat up beyond belief, especially 2112. So, for me these (and other well done reissues, e.g. the Steve Wilson remix & reissue of Aqualung (JT)) have been a real blessing.

10. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I've done my own comparisons. I like the Gilbert Kong masterings, but his are usually slightly compressed with a gentle boost in the upper mids. I like that because it just sounds great at normal volume. I personally have no problem with analog compression, especially when judiciously applied by a master like Kong.

I love the new reissue because it can be cranked up and it's still dynamic and punchy. My system can handle it well at higher volumes and doesn't break up. It's a great experience to crank it up like that.

So I like them both, and can't say one is better than the other. They are just different and I'm glad I have both.

I had the same reaction comparing Kong's version of Rod Stewart's "Never A Dull Moment" with the DCC LP from Steve Hoffman. Kong's version ROCKS and I recall Steve even telling us that the mastering notes from Kong specified EQ and compression settings. At first I thought Steve's version was wimpier, until I played it at high volume. :)

11. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

To echo what others said... If you have spotless, super-quiet original presses, there's a good chance these reissues WON'T top them. Especially if you've grown used to the original EQ choices on your treasured vinyl. But for those who haven't found decent originals of their favorite Rush records, these are a godsend. Especially if you don't have NM originals to compare, every one of these reissues sounds amazing.

I'm fortunate to have a nice Rush collection already... To the point that I wasn't tempted by the new 2112, and won't be tempted by anything from Moving Pictures (double RL!) on. But my noisy FBN has been upgraded to the new reissue... I finally have a nice AFTK... And this Hemispheres sounds far better than my noisy red vinyl. (Even if it doesn't look as cool.) I'd say those are all wins.

I'm holding out hope for the new Exit Stage Left... My original definitely has room for improvement in the mastering!

Geee!, Ben Adams, c-eling and 3 others like this.
  12. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I agree on Exit, my BK's not the greatest mastering wise, I may plop for the lp instead of the dl for this one :)

marblesmike likes this.
  13. henry babenko

henry babenko Forum Resident

cant wait to hear about ..exit stage left too.. hope its better than the orginal lp. which was muddy.. I wonder what labels they will go with, the original first couple pressing used the Chicago skyline. and later ones used the black backround..

14. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I have a feeling Exit can't be saved by mastering. The issue is in the mix.

Frankly, I like the sound of that album!

Thrakintosh, Veovis and Rockos like this.
  15. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

I half agree with you, I think Exit can't be saved but I do think it needs to be saved. Apparently the band must not have liked the sound of ATWAS (which I loved) because they went the completely opposite direction with ESL. I think they finally found a good balance of rawness/polish on A Show of Hands, unfortunately most of the live releases of the last decade make ESL sound good.

16. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

So I went to Amazon to preorder Moving Pictures. It's not listed anymore. And then I looked at the listing for PeW and it says Amazon has pulled it from their inventory due to customer complaints.

Does anyone know why?

17. The Slipperman

I am guessing that people are being really picky with these and sending a lot of them back. Being a cheapskate, I have purchased CoS, ATWAS, and Hemispheres from Amazon Warehouse deals for a grand total of $50 (new regular price on Amazon for those would have come to $87) so I am guessing they were all returns. ATWAS was brand new still wrapped and only had a slight bend/crease in the cover. The other two LPs had a slight bowl shape but sounded great to me and the price break I got made it a more than satisfactory purchase.

bigal00769 and MikeInFla like this.
  18. marblesmike

Judging by some of the people in this thread that must be the case. Some people hear two ticks during a quiet song and see that as a defect and send it back.

19. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Some people need to pull up their big-person pants if they want to be dealing with vinyl.

20. marblesmike

It's not that as much as some surface noise is to be expected with the format, but also it can be mitigated with equipment upgrades.

Ben Adams and c-eling like this.
  21. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I agree Mike, quite a difference just going to a Micro line styli I've noticed with some of my less desirable condition lp's

22. Rockos

Rockos Forum Resident

Two ticks, download mp3 version and THEN send it back.

23. The Slipperman

I was surprised to see on the two LPs I got from Amazon that had been opened, the code hadn't been used on either one.

24. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

This is probably because Amazon provides free Autorip mp3s when you order the vinyl, so whoever sent them back to Amazon was probably OK with the Autorips.

25. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

If they use the Autorips and return the vinyl they get charged for the MP3s.