Grand Funk Railroad

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by laughalot, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

Are you forgetting the Page/Plant collaboration? They put out a studio album in 1998 and toured extensively in the 90s.

2. rjp

rjp Senior Member

3. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I've got the debut On Time and the Live Album and enjoy them both but I have a feeling that's probably all I need.

4. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

You need the red album

5. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Boy he sure does. A must.

6. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Closer To Home, too!

7. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Yeah what he said!

jsayers likes this.
  8. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

My favorite is still "Survival". Just love that album.

Rick A.

sewerdog, Zeki, jsayers and 1 other person like this.
  9. jsayers

Might as well toss in E Pluribus Funk while we're at it...... : )

sewerdog, Terry, joelee and 1 other person like this.
  10. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

Would YOU want to talk about how you were upstaged by Grand Funk Railroad?

Zeki likes this.
  11. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Tellyawhat, I saw GFR at the Fillmore East when On Time was released. Fat Mattress (Noel Reddings band) was 3rd billing, GFR 2nd, and Jethro Tull was top billed. Grand Funk absolutely killed it! I won't say they upstaged Tull, this was their Stand Up/Benefit era, but it was pretty damn close!;)

12. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Tellyawhat, I saw GFR at the Fillmore East when On Time was released. Fat Mattress (Noel Reddings band) was 3rd billing, GFR 2nd, and Jethro Tull was top billed. Grand Funk absolutely killed it! I won't say they upstaged Tull, this was their Stand Up/Benefit era, but it was pretty damn close!;)

13. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

14. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

15. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

16. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Sorry, I still think Were An American Band is the most consistent from top to bottom. Also, you mentioned the Live album. So, I am thinking you also need Caught in the Act. An excellent live album. Also you could include Live the 1971 tour.

17. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I think the Red Album could be a g hits.

Rockin' Robby, joelee, Chew and 2 others like this.
  18. ILO

ILO Well-Known Member

I got Japanese made GFR SHM-SACDs WAAB and Shinin’on. After listening to them I can say that difference between them and ones I have on CDs (WAAB is multiple versions but I like most 24K Gold mastered by Steve and Shinin’on is also Japanese Pastmasters though I have other versions too) is subtle. Hard to say which ones – CDs or SACDs are better. Steve Hoffman’s WAAB is certainly the best but again not because of CD format but because of mastering and would probably sound even better on SACD. And I would say Shinin’on Pastmasters might be better than SACD too but again SACD has some subtlety that CDs lack but mastering on Pastmasters is better. Cover says than mastering for SACDs are done by Japanese engineer from original tapes. I also have most of Black Sabbath on SACD.

19. jsayers

I'll bet those sacds are mastered either from the tapes they used for the Past Masters or the digital tapes Capitol made for the 2001 US remasters. I really, really doubt they got the actual master tapes from Capitol in the USA. Not that that's a bad thing, the tapes Japan had that they used for those original Past Masters and Cool Price cds produced the best sounding cds out there until this day.
    Thanks for the honest appraisal - usually when a higher priced version comes out it seems it's always high praise until a few years later when the truth comes out!

20. ILO

ILO Well-Known Member

Thanks. I just collecting everything GFR so have several copies of every CD. Regarding SACD vs CD - I compared some samples made from exactly same masters using different encodings including different bit rates and the differences are very subtle. I some felt though that DSD sounds more natural than PCM but it is just IMO - DSD is dead anyway. I think audio components have more impact on SQ than encoding given that it is lossless and is at list CD quality. I have several ELP Deluxe editions where DVD-A and CD made from exact same masters by same engineer and can hear noticeable difference - CD sounds kind of steely while DVD-A more refined, so I prefer SACD, DVD-A or BDA just in case - it does not cost anything extra. CD format should be abandoned by now - there is no point to get stuck in XX century tech. Thankfully it already happening though for wrong reasons. I also prefer FLAC and APE files ripped from original vinyl LPs - they sound more refined than CD versions usually. I prefer media files because nothing mechanical or optical is involved - it is just straight digital to analogue.

21. old school

old school Senior Member

How many times are you going to tell us?

22. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Didn't know WTH you were talking about 'til I backtracked and saw what happened, sorry about that! I was obviously experiencing technical difficulties!;)

23. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I-pod on shuffle and Richard and Linda Thompson's "Walking on a Wire" finishes (superb....and RT isn't to be found in RS' best songwriter's list! A travesty) and the next song up is Nothing is the Same from Closer to Home. The drumming, the bass...everything about the song is fantastic. I don't know if I've ever seen anyone here mention this particular song.

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  24. jsayers

It's one of the reasons Closer To Home is my favorite GFR album. :agree:

Zeki likes this.
  25. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/searc...+the+same&t=post&o=relevance&c[thread]=311984

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.