Check out my new Grundig Console

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by kippy, Jul 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kippy

kippy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have been looking for one for about 6 months to fit the space. I only wanted to buy one with a great finish. I was thinking about putting some McIntosh gear into it, but it is not deep enough without modifications. I may just make it into a bar. The wood is fantastic. I bought it from the son of the original owner. They even have the owner's guide and some other original documents that came with it. There is also some maintenance records as well. The son said it used to work fine but when he powered it up to sell it it did not turn on. I checked and the fuse was blown. I ordered some new fuses. I probably should replace the caps. This unit is very clean. Persistence pays off some times. Price = $200.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EVOLVIST, SirMarc, billnunan and 18 others like this.
  2. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Very cool and looks great! I found this 1969 Z931 Danish Modern Zenith console last year for $125 at a local electronics fix-it shop. Everything works great. I added a Bluetooth receiver to the Tape input so I can not only play thrift shop records or listen to the tuner but can stream anything from the WWW via my phone or iPad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

I'm guessing the changer in the Grundig has been replaced. The 45 adapter says "Rex PE" which is what I'd expect to find (Perpetuum Ebner) but what's in there is a Garrard, yes?

The FRiNgE and PhilBiker like this.
  4. kippy

You are correct. Good call.

5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The Garrard was most likely installed when the Perpetuum-Ebner Rex changer had issues or was not capable of handling Stereo records. P-E changers were very difficult to repair, and hard to find parts in the USA. So, the Garrard was a good move. Especially as they were easier maintained, and it could handle stereo records without damage.

6. 389 Tripower

389 Tripower Just a little south of Moline

Very nice console! I love Grundigs.
    [​IMG]

7. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

eddiel and 389 Tripower like this.
  8. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Nice! :righton:

Wish I could move my Grundig into the house. It's relegated to the garage.

[​IMG]

Jimi Floyd, GT40sc, PhilBiker and 4 others like this.
  9. Six String

Six String Senior Member

My mom has a Grundig console they bought when we lived on Germany (59-61). It has a turntable as well as a space at the opposite side for a reel to reel or storage. It's made of teak and really beautiful. I've had ideas of doing something with it but I don't have the spce. I think my brother is starting to get ideas....

Baron Von Talbot likes this.
  10. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Very nice! A shame it has to live in the garage.

longdist01 likes this.
  11. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

This should be tube instead of SS? No?

12. ARCCJ

ARCCJ Forum Resident

The Grundig radios have a very distinct and classic look. A relative had one of the radios and it sounded sweet for its age. :)

PhilBiker and McLover like this.
  13. kippy

Yes..it is tube. I hope it comes to life when I replace the fuse.

14. coopmv

:agree:

longdist01 likes this.
  15. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I have a Grundig Virginia model large table top tube radio multiband. Nice warm tube sound.

16. coopmv

Just about all stereo console made in the 50's are tube, not SS. I have a Telefunken stereo console from my late father in my basement. It is more nostalgia than anything else ...

17. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Remember, the Europeans stayed tubed a bit longer and began transitioning to SS around 1966-1967.

18. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

I am set to inherit an all original KS752U model here in the next few weeks. Total "Mad Men" setup from my wife's grandfather.

Stereo Console KS752U Ch= CS250U+NF250U Radio Grundig Radio- »

I found a description and schematics on line. Not sure where to go for recommendations on how to get it refurbished. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. Since it's solid state I'm sure there is no Collector's value and I am not expecting the sweet sound of my Dad's 1964 all-tube Sylvania that I grew up with. I have the perfect space in my house for it.

Any recommendations on where to start (should I even try to plug it in and play it?) would be appreciated. Any chance this old solid state device that has probably not played in over a decade will actually work?

19. 389 Tripower

389 Tripower Just a little south of Moline

It'll probably work fine, as far as the radio and amplifier sections go. Even being solid state, it should still sound nice. Get a can of Deoxit and clean the volume and tone controls if they sound crackly. You can get that at your nearby Guitar Center. Just do not get any fluids into the tuner. I'll bet the turntable will need service - cleaned and lubed mechanics, along with a new stylus.

I have a Grundig tube console from around '64-65. It's never been serviced other than a couple of tubes (by me) and I installed a Dual 1009 changer into it, with a small hidden preamp for mag phono cartridges. It still sounds great to this day!

Nice console - Enjoy!

PhilBiker likes this.
  20. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

That is Nice!!

21. coopmv

Here is the Telefunken, all-tube stereo console from my late father. It is now in my basement ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. coopmv

:agree:

23. coopmv

:edthumbs:

24. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Make sure to use that record changer on your 45rpm Blue Note, AP, MFSL records.:p

ZenMango, Sneaky Pete and PhilBiker like this.
  25. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

This was the console my dad bought and the first music box I heard as a toddler - He played records every sunday morning, which I liked very very much. Earliest childhood memories .
    Amazing how beefy and powerful these 60 year old consumer music boxes were- You need a turn table, Receiver or Integrated amp and a tuner plus floorstanders to get the same room filling sound !

jamesmaya likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.