The Velvet Underground "White Light/White Heat" 45th Anniversary Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Marry a Carrot, Sep 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

So there is "ten milliseconds of digital silence?" And, what exactly does that sound like?

jay.dee and Jerryb like this.
  2. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

My original cd from deluxe box after ripping it and listening to it now on iTunes is fine. Track clocks in at 17.32 and plays through to end with no audible silence to me. The track ends with hiss at 4 seconds left after final rave up.
    There is a slight discontinuity perhaps of a click at 12 seconds left but then again this is Sister Ray. I will listen though to my 3 earlier cd versions but I can live with this new experience.
    After a few more cups of coffee.

3. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I guess I'm so exhausted at the end of it having listened to it Earbleedingly loud for 18 minutes that I've never noticed it before. I'll check it out later. If it's inserted silence I can just digitally cut back out, it's annoying but no big deal. If it is silence erasing some music that's a little more annoying. By I listened to that disc at least 50 times this past year and never noticed it

Part of me is annoyed about a sloppy error but the other side of me says I never noticed it before and can likely live happily without a replacement disc or a public mea culpa

4. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

I think it's inserted silence (without erasing anything) because the ends of the sound waves match up perfectly for both right and left channels when the silence is removed.

cc-- and airstreamdriver like this.
  5. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I never noticed this either, but since you pointed it out, I made myself an edit.

Btw, there's an analog dropout at the very beginning of "Sister Ray" from the Peel/'96 CD that always really bugged me. I was glad to find the new remaster to my liking, so that I'd have a nice mastering without a dropout. Guess that was asking too much.

6. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

If this dropout had been noticed right away -- I'm as guilty as everyone else of missing it -- we may have been able to lobby Universal for a replacement disc, in the same way Dylan fans successfully lobbied Sony for the dropouts in their latest remasters of Self Portrait and Hard Rain. More than a year down the line, I'm not sure we stand much of a chance. Might be worth firing off an e-mail or two, though.

Anyone have a likely contact at Universal, rather than a generic e-mail address?

7. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

Yes. There is a dropout on the Peel Set but not on the Deluxe... I just listened to it but I am going to check my individual cd of the Ludwig which maybe identical to the Peel and my earlier Calbi/Drake cd out of curiosity.. Good timing.

8. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Once you know where it is, it must be a deafening ten-millisecond eternity. I am not going to look it up. :)

9. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

Is there any point in getting the Quine Tapes CD if you have the Super Deluxe editions of the first three albums?

10. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

There are a number of tracks on the Quine Tapes CDs that aren't on any of the Super Deluxe editions:

Tracks from The Family Dog, San Francisco, Nov. 7/8/9 1969 and a number of of tracks from The Matrix, San Francisco, ranging between Nov. 23 and Dec 1 1969 as well as Sister Ray/Foggy Notion from Washington University, St. Louis, 5-11-69

The Velvet Underground Super Deluxe has Matrix Nov 26/27 1969

marcfeld69 likes this.
  11. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

Great box set of historical importance that plays well all things considered. I would not buy a remaster of it though. A remix may be interesting but Quine and Lou unfortunately can't oversee the supervision

marcfeld69 likes this.
  12. marcfeld69

Thanks; this explains why I've read good things about it here. I just thought it might have been overtaken.

13. marcfeld69

Thanks. I'll keep an eye out.

14. marcfeld69

My follow-up question. Where does the Maxy's and other live albums fit now after all the Super-Deluxes?

15. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

The Quine recordings are from lo-fi audience tapes, so they'll never be remixed. A remaster is about all they could ever do and even then, it doesn't seem like there is much they could do to make them sound fantastically better, considering the sources.

Max's & Live 1969 are not part of any of the Super Deluxe versions.

jerrygene and marcfeld69 like this.
  16. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Well not exactly but the third album super deluxe live tracks and live 1969 do overlap now, with the super deluxe having superior sound. And we're hoping to get the rest of those matrix songs in upgraded sound eventually too

jerrygene and marcfeld69 like this.
  17. marcfeld69

Thanks to the two latest posters on that.

Can anyone direct me to a good thread on the best VU vinyl and where to start?

18. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Yeah, I don't know why I wrote that. I even looked at Wikipedia before I did. :doh:

marcfeld69 likes this.
  19. marcfeld69

Little bump:

Can anyone direct me to a good thread on the best VU vinyl and where to start?

20. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Just search thread titles containing the words "Velvet Underground Vinyl" and you'll find plenty of information.

21. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

I don't think you can remix an audience tape. Apply EQ, but it is what it is.

jerrygene likes this.
  22. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I tried to rip CD 1 of my deluxe edition only to find a small crack in the disc that is preventing me from ripping it. Played fine on my CD player. Does anybody know how to contact Universal to request a replacement?

23. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I don't have a solution for you.

But I did recently encounter a similar problem. I've been rebuilding my music library on iTunes. However, when I tried to rip the 2nd disc of the VU (3rd LP) Super Deluxe Edition, it would stall out, causing iTunes to become unresponsive. I couldn't see any visible flaw with the disc. And the really weird thing is that I had earlier happened to burn a copy of the disc from my previous iTunes library. But I can't rip from that one either! I suspect it has something to do with when it pulls track details from the internet, but turning that option off didn't help. Frustrating!

24. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

It can happen. I'm sure it's not to do with naming. Two thoughts: your CD laser needs cleaning. Or, try another Audio-CD ripper, like XLD (OS X) or whatever works on your computer OS.

25. dee

dee Senior Member

I love the aesthetic, creativity, instrumentation, daring etc. and 'sonic architecture' and much of what I think people like about the whole album. Just me ears (and my mind lol) can't deal with all the feedback squeals and squawks and the dense tones of distorted guitar so parts of the album and its key tracks are a bit of loss to me, unfortunately. It's too bad for me as I like so much otherwise about those tracks.

I find The Gift as it is in mono a more coherent way to simultaneously listen to the story and the music and I think it's also very cool to include the reading and the band instrumental as individual bonus tracks too. I do like the stereo mix in a bizarre or surreal way too. A kind of directional effect of competing channels.

Fwiw, I prefer Lady Godiva's Operation in mono too maybe due to the two voices seemingly to me feeling a little more connected. I like the stereo for other reasons though, but I guess it comes down to that short section where the voices are panned that puts me off a little and away from that mix. I enjoy the hypnotic and pulsing effect the performance has until then but then the panning of the voices kind of ruins that effect. It is an interruption and I expect an intended one in the overall composition but it feels more like artifice to me than a maneuver that enhances the piece.

There was no doubt in my mind and to my ears what the vocal was saying in Here She Comes Now when I first heard it, however I hear it differently now or alternately now as a result of reading your post. Shiver makes perfect sense to me fwiw, especially when taking into account the shaky, feverish, and stuttering delivery.

I am happy though that I am taken with and enjoy all the bonus tracks from Guess I'm Falling In Love instrumental through to Beginning to See the Light early version.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
    DeeThomaz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.