Phish: What Are You Listening To?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by B-Mike, Jul 27, 2015.

1. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident Thread Starter

This thread is a shameless rip-off of the Grateful Dead thread of the same name, which is one of my favorites on the forum. There seem to be enough Phish pholks around here for it. (I'm no Phish expert; I just like to listen.)

Yesterday, I put on an old favorite for the first time in a while -- 11/17/97.
    13 songs in the show, 7 of which are 12 minutes plus.
    Show opens with 32 minutes of Tweezer & Reba. After that, more nice long jams, including the Denver Jam, Ghost, Disease, and YEM. And throw in covers of Fire and Johnny B. Goode.

Live Phish 11, 11/17/97, Denver, CO
    http://www.livephish.com/browse/music/0,489/

[​IMG]

2. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Watched the first set of the Star Lake '98 DVD set last night, very strong set overall, with an interesting jam out of Fee focused on a riff done with harmonics by Trey, going into an excellent version of Maze. Will probably not get a chance to watch the second set for a few evenings, but it is on deck for whenever I have a chance.

Previous recent listens (other than seeing them play an excellent show at Shoreline on Friday) have been the Amsterdam box (I was at the 2/17/97 show) and the Bomb Factory '94 show, which I picked up used 3 months ago or so. I've got about 7 or 8 of the original Live Phish series releases, but don't have and have never heard that Denver '97 show. Great era for the band, of course.

3. phish

phish Jack Your Body

I'm listening to the Amsterdam box.

4. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Not sure if this is really the place to say it, but I wish their live releases generally had more in the way of liner notes. At least the Bomb Factory one had a little bit of history from Mike about that show, but even that wasn't much, and most of the rest are even more bare bones. The early Dick's Picks releases were somewhat sparse as well, but in recent years the GD have been doing a much better job of providing context for the shows in the liner notes, photos, contemporary newspaper reviews, etc., and would be nice if Phish could do something similar more often.

Thanks for starting this thread, btw, looking forward to getting some ideas for future listening here.

5. B-Mike

10/30/2010, Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City, NJ
    The Zeppelin Show

[​IMG]

http://phish.net/setlists/?d=2010-10-30

Set 1: Kill Devil Falls, Cavern, Foam, Guelah Papyrus, Chalk Dust Torture -> Whole Lotta Love[1] > Chalk Dust Torture, Ha Ha Ha, Walk Away, Wolfman's Brother[2] -> Undermind> Bathtub Gin, The Squirming Coil

Set 2: Tube > Possum > Tweezer -> Heartbreaker[3] -> Tweezer -> Ramble On -> Thank You[3] -> Tweezer -> Stairway to Heaven[3], Halley's Comet > Also Sprach Zarathustra >David Bowie, Show of Life, Backwards Down the Number Line > Good Times Bad Times

Encore: Sleeping Monkey > Tweezer Reprise

[1] One verse only.
    [2] Vocal jam.
    [3] Phish debut; Incomplete.

Teases:
    · Whole Lotta Love tease in Ha Ha Ha
    · Whole Lotta Love tease in Bathtub Gin
    · The Rain Song and Thank You teases in The Squirming Coil
    · Whole Lotta Love and Sneakin' Sally through the Alley teases in Possum
    · Whole Lotta Love tease in Tweezer
    · Whole Lotta Love quote in David Bowie
    · Whole Lotta Love tease in Tweezer Reprise
    · The Lemon Song tease

ODShowtime, warewolf95 and Crispy Rob like this.
  6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I believe Live Phish 17-20 were the "Mike's Picks" series where he chose the shows, and the CDs included his journal entries about the shows. I remember once on Phish's site they posted one of his other journals, about the 11/2/96 show, with a promise there would be others, but it didn't happen. It would have been interesting.

warewolf95 and Crispy Rob like this.
  7. radiogod

radiogod Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Love the Tweezer from this show.

jay.dee likes this.
  8. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Live Phish 6, 11/27/1998, Worcester Centrum Centre

[​IMG]

Set 1: Funky Bitch, Ya Mar, Carini, Runaway Jim, Meat > Reba, The Old Home Place, Dogs Stole Things, Vultures, When the Circus Comes, Birds of a Feather
    Set 2: Buried Alive > Wipe Out > Chalk Dust Torture -> Mirror in the Bathroom -> Chalk Dust Torture -> Dog Log -> Chalk Dust Torture > Sanity > Buffalo Bill > Mike's Song -> I Am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove -> Wipe Out -> Weekapaug Groove > Weekapaug Groove Reprise > Run Like an Antelope
    Encore: Wading in the Velvet Sea, Golgi Apparatus > Wipe Out

http://www.livephish.com/browse/mus...-download-11-27-1998-The-Centrum-Worcester-MA

It must have felt like it had been back 1994 and their phunk metamorphosis had not happened at all. :)

Even though I have got somewhat oversaturated with their 1994 agility, speed and bravado, I must admit that the expanded and stuffed Chalk Dust Torture and exquisite Run Like an Antelope rock mightily my boat.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
    Erik B., uncleroy and Crispy Rob like this.
  9. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Played Set two of the third night in the Amsterdam box this morning.

mark renard and Crispy Rob like this.
  10. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

I was at this show....terrific memeory

I am listening to the recently released Toronto show from 1992....boy the 90's were simply great!

Bobbeyo and jay.dee like this.
  11. mdphunk

mdphunk Sharing in the groove

While tour is gong on, I tend to just listen to each show and their related highlights so I can keep my ears fresh. Ideally I would go on a Phish "fast" leading up to any show I saw, but it's just too tempting to stream every night and re-listen to the great jams the next day.

Shoreline Blaze>Twist>Light has been in heavy rotation for me, and I'll be on the couch tonight for the Austin show.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  12. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Really glad to see this thread pop up, I've been following the Dead equivalent and was hoping this may come eventually. It's what finally motivated me to leave the land of the lurkers and create an account. This is my first post, in fact.

I've been catching up on the Bend tour openers, they sound promising enough. I like the new songs (especially "Blaze On") and while there weren't many big jam vehicles, the energy level was great.

Like others, I've also spent this week's commutes working my way through the Amsterdam '97 box. Highlights so far have been the "Carini" debut, the fantastic 7/1 "Cities" (on the boards as a candidate for my favorite version ever), and the 7/2 set 1 "Mike's Groove" bookends.

Woozoom939, Scopitone, JayB and 3 others like this.
  13. B-Mike

11/2/96, Coral Sky

[​IMG]

http://phish.net/setlists/?d=1996-11-02

Saturday, 11/02/1996
    Coral Sky Amphitheater, West Palm Beach, FL

Set 1
    : Ya Mar[1], Julius[1], Fee[2] -> Taste[1], Cavern[1] > Stash[1], The Lizards[1],Free[1], Johnny B. Goode[1]

Set 2: Crosseyed and Painless[1] -> Run Like an Antelope, Waste[1], Harry Hood[1] > A Day in the Life[1], Sweet Adeline

Encore: Funky Bitch[3]

[1] Karl Perazzo on percussion.
    [2] Karl Perazzo on percussion. Trey sang verses through megaphone.
    [3] Karl Perazzo on percussion, Butch Trucks on drums, Fish on Trey's percussion rack.

Teases:
    · Dave's Energy Guide tease in Crosseyed and Painless

Noteworthy Jams: Ya Mar, Fee, Crosseyed and Painless (highly recommended), Run Like an Antelope, Harry Hood

[http://phish.net/setlists/?d=1996-11-02]

14. KDubATX

15. GuidedByJonO)))

Still finishing up with Bend, I'll probably get to that one some time next week. Initial thoughts? That's a lot of songs!

Erik B. likes this.
  16. uncleroy

uncleroy Forum Resident

That 2nd set with the "Wipeout" teases interspersed is fun as heck (LP 6 Worcester)

17. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I listened to 12/1/96 "Tweezer" from Live Bait a few days back. Good version hinting at the '97 funk approach with some of the older weirdness mixed in, and a funny ending. Also a bit of Trey on his percussion rack (an aspect of 1995/96 Phish I don't miss much).

18. KDubATX

1st set was a nice, almost greatest hits type set for a big portion. The 1st section of set 2 through Ghost is what I'm hot to check out again. I was on the lawn so was a bit quieter than I would have liked. Was a really big Tuesday night crowd, had to be within a couple thousand of a sellout (so maybe 11-12K?) - hopefully they will keep the venue in the mix for future tours.

GuidedByJonO))) likes this.
  19. GuidedByJonO)))

Really wishing I was heading up to Alpine next month, but I blew my concert budget for the summer on Fare Thee Well, so.... Of course there are far worse problems to have! I'm hoping they'll broadcast one of those nights.

20. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

I often thought about doing this thread but didn't think it would take off. Hope this proves me wrong.

I just dl'd the first 4 nights of Summer 2015 so I am going to hit that today at work.

21. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Phish 7/25/2015 Inglewood Forum, So Cal

johnnypaddock likes this.
  22. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

7/25/2015 Los Angeles, CA

23. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Austin from last night 46 Days->The Dogs->46 Days
    I've been keeping watch for any appearances of the Halloween songs.

Actuarybrad and Erik B. like this.
  24. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Next up:

Waves 5/26/11 from the tech rehearsal in Bethel, NY.
    Not from an official show, but if it were, it would instantly vault to near the top of their greatest jams.
    Must hear for everyone, fan or not.
    http://phish.in/2011-05-26

B-Mike likes this.
  25. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

The last thing I listened to was the latest Shoreline show, the day after I went to the show. I'm really impressed with their playing since they reformed in '09, and it seems to be only getting better. I'm glad they have lots of new songs, maybe another studio album sooner rather than later?

I also listened to part of the new Amsterdam set recently, but lately am on a tremendous Rush jag (I went to the R40 San Jose show the night before Shoreline).

GuidedByJonO))) likes this.