Rush - new 2015 vinyl and hi-res reissues thread. (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Ugh I hope not. I didn't think MP was too bright. Then again, I'm listening on vinyl through a tube amp.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  2. Rockos

Rockos Forum Resident

Yeah, MP was fine tonality wise-digital version-, PeW was a tad dark for my taste. Darker than all other masterings from what my ears told me.

3. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

"Signals" in multichannel is the ONLY Rush album that I was interested in buying. I'm hoping these pre-order pages disappearing are not because it's been cancelled?

4. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I had a mini Rush listening session this morning with my recent vinyl buys.

What's the consensus on AFWTK? My copy is cut noticeably quieter than Fly By Night and 2112.
    It's got a lot less bass punch as well, overall it's compressed and disappointing compared to the
    other two records. This reissue is the only copy I have, but streaming from YouTube rocks harder.
    I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion about this, if my copy is at all representative of
    how this record sounds generally.

5. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I thought it improves upon my original JAMF pressing, although it's close.

6. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I would agree that AFTK doesn't quite measure up to the others. I find it varies throughout the recording though. For example, Closer to the Heart sounds faint and lifeless but if I crank the volume enough to enjoy it I'm being blasted out of the room by the time I get to Cygness X-1. Recording levels and sound quality seem to keep changing.

S. P. Honeybunch and DeRosa like this.
  7. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

is the high res release date for ESL still next Friday or did it get pushed back with the vinyl?

Rockos likes this.
  8. Rockos

Rockos Forum Resident

Great question. I assume it will be moved to match the LP release, but I could be wrong.

9. DBR70

DBR70 Well-Known Member

Rush website reflects delayed till 8/14/15. Did it get pushed back further?

10. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

We know the vinyl got pushed back until 9/18. That's why I'm trying to verify the high res, as it was originally supposed to come out when Moving Pictures came out.

11. vanye

vanye Forum Resident

Highresaudio.com is not going to offer Moving Pictures.

They maintain it is no true HiRes and anyway not up to their high quality standards. They offer the 2013 remaster, which they think is the better choice.

12. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

As if the source was different. :rolleyes: It doesn't make sense.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
    ricks, Ulli, Billy Budapest and 3 others like this.
  13. Musicminded

Musicminded Forum Resident

I bought MP and ESL vinyl remasters from Amazon Germany and got both 2 weeks ago. MP sounds very good but the improvement on ESL is not very big, unfortunately. The album still suffers from a somewhat muddy sound, as if the band is actually playing in the distance behind the curtain on the cover. I am very impressed with the work of Magee and his remastering through all the albums but there is only so much he can do with the source material. Reminds me why I haven't played ESL much when it came out originally. And all the pauses between the songs don't help much either. Great songselection on ESL, but give me the rawness and immediacy of ATWAS any time of the day.

Warren Hawk and The Slipperman like this.
  14. Rockos

Rockos Forum Resident

The news on ESL is disheartening. Does it sound darker, brighter than the original?

15. Musicminded

It is still very bass heavy. I would not say darker or brighter, a bit more focused but alas no major improvement. If you still have a good vinyl copy no need to rush out for this edition.

16. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Still waiting for US pressing of Moving Pictures to show up on amazon.co.uk for import...

mitchcortes likes this.
  17. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

ESL is really not that bad people. It's a fantastic album. I listened to YYZ so many times growing up, I still know that drum solo by heart. :) I'm looking forward to that one.

johnny q, UncleHalsey, Rockos and 2 others like this.
  18. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

So ESL was only delayed in the US? If that's the case, why did Germany not get the high res ESL?

Rockos likes this.
  19. mitchcortes

mitchcortes Forum Resident

How is the pressing quality on MP?

20. Musicminded

Overall the pressing of the EU versions are well done. I have them all and have returned only one for a replacement (AFTK) They are flat (not many issues like I read of QP) and great sounding. Only not impressed with the sonic advancement of ESL. You might have some minor crackles of the vinyl once in a while but never major as I am super critical myself. Compared to some other reissue series they do a good job.

21. redteck

redteck Forum Resident

Got angry at Amazon and canceled all my pre-orders. Big mistake. Placed an order at the Rush website for MP. Now, a couple weeks later they've posted this:

Due to manufacturing issues, this item is currently not available to ship. Any new orders and some pre-orders placed for this item will be held until the stock is available to ship. If you have any questions regarding your order, please contact [email protected] for more details.

@#$%$^!

22. Nick Scott

Nick Scott Forum Resident

I ordered it from Rarewaves USA in the end.

Simon_LDT likes this.
  23. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Are they customs friendly?

24. Nick Scott

Nick Scott Forum Resident

Only ever ordered CDs from them before. I think that if you are in the UK and you order from Amazon UK, you can always claim back any customs charges if you get stung.

25. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Been listening to Moving Pictures all day through various digital methods, its much better than the MFSL...EOM