Are there any movies better on DVD than Blu-Ray?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Eric B., Aug 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
    Digital noise reduction was used heavily to the point where people actually look waxy at times. Stick with the special edition DVD.

Any incarnation of 'Predator' doesn't necessarily look good just because of the nature of the film stock used and the lighting conditions throughout the picture, but avoid the 'Ultimate Hunter Edition' blu-ray at all costs. It is just disgusting looking. That is unless you don't like texture or any sense of realism in the picture. Everything is unsettlingly smooth in appearance. The jungle looks as though it is full of plastic plants from a car dealership, and Arnold's close-ups are straight out of Madame Tussauds.

dlokazip, driverdrummer and Eric B. like this.
  2. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Yellow Submarine only has the isolated music tracks available on the DVD unfortunately.

McLover, PhantomStranger and dkmonroe like this.
  3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Interesting! Glad I never got rid of the DVD!

weirdmikebeard likes this.
  4. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

5. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

that one is a keeper :thumbsup:

dkmonroe likes this.
  6. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Lots of isolated music tracks didn't get porter over. Missing DVD extras on Blu-rays is another can of worms.

TV on DVD have some examples of things re edited or re framed when returning to the original film elements. Especially if the went from 4:3 and expanded to 16:9 with added information on the sides of the frame. That 70's show had some things changed but nothing too noteworthy that I recall.

Jarleboy likes this.
  7. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

You're better off with the original BluRay of Predator. It's not perfect but it's better than what we currently have.

Eric B. likes this.
  8. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

"The Truman Show". A screwed-up aspect ratio presentation of Blu-ray.

9. audiomixer

Going through my collection, I sense that in the DVD era, there was a sense of pride about the product; packaging, menus, extras galore. Does the blu-ray counterpart look better? In most cases, yes. But there just seems to be something missing in terms of commentaries & extra material that was associated with DVDs. I thought I would be ditching a lot of DVDs if I had the blu-ray, but that is certainly not the case.

10. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

Yes - Symphonic Live. You have the option of removing the animations with the DVD. You're stuck with them on the blu-ray.

Star Trek The Motion Picture - the only way you can get the Director's Cut (by far the best version of the film) is on DVD. The blu-ray is the original theatrical version.

Star Trek II The Wrath Of Khan - the DVD has the "television" Director's Cut version; the blu-ray doesn't.

[email protected], SamS and Eric B. like this.
  11. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

12. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

The DC gives context to Constanze's contempt for Salieri, climaxing with the line "I regret we have no servants to show you out." But the DC has many irrelevant scenes (for example the two where Mozart is tutoring the daughter of the guy with the dogs).

The DVD also offers an isolated music track absent from the Blu.

Eric B. likes this.
  13. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Hannah and her Sisters.

14. audiomixer

Does it look bad on the blu-ray?

15. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

The Concert for George looks much better on DVD than BluRay.

LSP2003, Drifter and Dublintown like this.
  16. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

You'd be surprised at how many BluRays are just upscaled from SD and not taken from the original source, so there's little to no improvement over that a competent player like an OPPO can make to the DVD version.

SandAndGlass and Eric B. like this.
  17. Jerry Horne

It looks like someone took the dvd and copied it to another dvd then copied it to a blu-ray.

18. Jerry Horne

Dang, don't say that! I've yet to open and enjoy my blu-ray :(

19. chacha

Do you already have the DVD?

20. Jerry Horne

Someone loaned me a dvd copy (watched it) several years ago and I instantly ordered the blu but haven't cracked it open.

21. chacha

The DVD looks great - looks like film. The Blu looked grainy to me and nowhere near as nice unfortunately. I got rid of it immediately. The DVD is also a nicer package.

Dublintown likes this.
  22. Eric B.

Eric B. Active Member Thread Starter

:righton: Bro you nailed it, the 'tampered with' star wars blu-rays, with ADDED special-fx cgi are an excellent example, and I wanna add 'Star Trek' to that, with the new cgi fx added.

23. Eric B.

Eric B. Active Member Thread Starter

:tiphat: I own the older Predator Blu-ray, which wasn't perfect, so I got the ultimate hunter vesion from Netflix. It really did look like plastic plants and wax Arnold. The actors have no pores, truly 'enhancement gone wrong'.

profholt82 likes this.
  24. Well that was corrected and another version like the original look of the film is out there.

25. Except thst you're not forced to watch Star Trek with the visual effects. It has both the original and redone effects. In some cases the redone effects are superior for example for "The a Doomsday Machine" blows away the visuals in the original.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.