Johnny Carson Returns: Antenna TV to Air Full ‘Tonight Show’ Episodes

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Aug 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Yes, I hated Carson's Comedy Classics that WGN used to show late at night (early 1990s). Pre YouTube though the idea of ever seeing this stuff again was a pipe dream.

This is cool news though.

2. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

There are some YouTube channels that have hundreds of full Late Night episodes (82-92). It's very fun to revisit.

Moshe, chilinvilin and MMM like this.
  3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

There needs to be a Talk Show Network that shows old daytime talk shows (Geraldo, Phil Donahue, etc) during the day and old nighttime talk shows... um... at night! There's hundreds of thousands of hours of shows available.

4. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

BTW, the only way the Carol Burnett Show is syndicated is the Carol Burnett and Friends package that MeTV airs and has aired in syndication off and on for years. This is a half hour edited version.

Spaghettiows likes this.
  5. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Yes, I remember the greatly missed Trio doing this. Needs to happen again, even if online or digital only (since I don't have cable this would serve me very well!).

dan c

6. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I am so in.

7. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Yeah - his original show that was on NBC.

Moshe likes this.
  8. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Great idea. I would watch it - at least at night.

9. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

I sure will watch.
    I suspect they will hold up well to the older demo that gets the topical jokes (How do you explain "Ralph Williams Ford" being funny to someone?) and the pacing which will seem snail like to anyone under 45.... at best.

10. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

I'm surprised this has gone unchallenged. Depending on who the guests were, the interviews could be some of the best parts of the show. Carson was a far more skillful interviewer than any of his successors (with the exception of Letterman) could ever hope to be.

11. Kevin W

Kevin W Well-Known Member

12. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Yeah ok, I'm hosed. Nothing even close.

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I did not know that. Yah-hah.

chilinvilin and Jamey K like this.
  14. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Lets not omit The Fugawi Indians. Funny thing is, now Johnny can say Fugawi on TV. But he can't say Indian anymore.

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

My Carson impression is impeccable, but nobody under 30 remembers who that was anymore.

"Coming up next is Regis Toomey, Billy Mumy, and Rosemary Clooney starring in 'Rin-Tin-Tin Gets Fitted for a Truss!'"

That was a zing-er.

Scooterpiety, chilinvilin and Alan G. like this.
  16. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i don't think time-warner has antenna TV :(

17. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Its no different with the Howard Stern show. Celebrity interviews are mostly a bore to me. Comedians being the exception

18. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I think that’s the problem. Interviews on these shows have *always* been spotty. There may be more of a focus on plugging a specific project/product these days than there was in, say, 1965 or 1975, and maybe there was more room for old timey “walk ons” from the hosts’ pals or something. But I’ve watched some old talk show stuff, and it was just as likely for even a good interviewer to get a stinker of a guest, or just a case where the host and guest don’t gel well.

I always felt Carson’s 1984 interview with McCartney was pretty abysmal. McCartney didn’t help either, but Carson seemed only mildly interested in or familiar with McCartney, asking weird questions like if McCartney still wrote his own material (either that, or Carson was offering an *extremely subtle* dig on the quality of McCartney’s then-current new material).

I used to record Conan’s show, and I usually just recorded the monologue (only sometimes) and the highlight of his show, the comedy sketches. The interviews were almost always bleh, and the few times Conan’s interviews were entertaining, it was usually because of something unexpected or unrelated to the guests, like when the fire alarm in the building would go off, or Norm MacDonald heckled the guests that came on after him.

19. kippy

kippy Forum Resident

I am shocked this is happening. Interesting that only Johnny Carson shows are being shown (no guest hosts). I will definitely record every show.

20. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Good point. Although I can see why they wouldn't air the ones that Bill Cosby guest hosted.

The Joan Rivers ones would be great to see, but I don't think Carson's heirs want to open that can of worms up either.

21. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

So your real name is Harry Shearer?

22. jojopuppyfish

Would love to see Gary Shanling guest hosting. Liked him much better than Jay Leno.

And looks like Woody hosted a few times

somnar likes this.
  23. jojopuppyfish

chilinvilin likes this.
  24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's right -- the Credibility Gap. Ten points for Cheepnik!

25. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Yeah, I do a mean "well helloooo matinee lady" but my kids don't get it.

Regarding Buskin's book, it is really good and very insightful. But if you have Johnny on a pedestal, you may want to avoid it. It strips Johnny quite naked.

Vidiot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.