Your 5 favorite Grateful Dead Europe '72 shows

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by four sticks, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

2. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

No they are not the same sounding necessarily. Some of the archives shows are great sounding mind you and in some cases might be from the multi-track tapes, but the E'72 shows available on Dead.net were recently transferred to hi res from the multi-track tapes, then Plangent Processed, then mixed and mastered on top shelf gear; you are going to be hard pressed to notice these were recorded 43 years ago.

SOONERFAN likes this.
  3. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Interesting that Munich is doing so poorly. For a long time, that was the only Europe '72 show I had in my tape collection, and it never wowed me back then either. It's a good show, but definitely outshined by most of the rest of the tour.

4. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

That is my #1 sleeper show.

ianuaditis likes this.
  5. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I was more impressed with it listening to the box set version than I was on cassette back in the day. It's a fine show, just ranked low in relation to some others, and interesting to see that my initial impression seemed to be in line with the poll. There are no bad shows, and really almost no bad moments, on that entire tour. I'm surprised Aarhus doesn't have more votes, based on the poll results above, that would be my sleeper pick -- except that it does seem to get discussed a lot here, and David Fricke picked it in his Rolling Stones list of top shows.

DrLunchbox and bmoregnr like this.
  6. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Sleeper? Where's the "dislike" button? :mad:

ianuaditis and budwhite like this.
  7. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

NOOO! Sleeper by this definition: "a movie, book, play, etc., that achieves sudden unexpected success after initially attracting little attention, typically one that proves popular without much promotion or expenditure." You can confirm in this thread it is my first show off the bench at #6.

The English language is an f'd up thing, I totally understand your consternation.

The wife and I were driving home last Saturday and a few kids were heading to some EDM festival going on in town, and they had written in soap or whatever “Moonrise Fest 15 whoop whoop!” and amongst other hype phrases wrote “Bassnecter”; and the wife asks what is Bassnecter as in the fish+necter and I said no Bass as in the Bass note, it is got to be a band… and she said oh yeah that makes sense.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    ianuaditis, DrLunchbox and Rne like this.
  8. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Aarhus might be my pound for pound favorite. At least every time I hear it I feel like I am exactly in the following room which is a very cool feeling. Some other shows might technically be better but that is not the same as favorite.

[​IMG]

9. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Maybe there is something wrong with me, but I never get sick of seeing that photo.

bmoregnr likes this.
  10. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

For the phone I have pictures of the band tagged for all the shows, Jerry in a one shot, Bobby and Jerry in a two shot etc.; I even have different pics for each set— for Aarhus that is the only picture used.

DrLunchbox and Crispy Rob like this.
  11. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Damn, so many years studying English for nothing. I agree with you, that show is in fact a sleeper.

ianuaditis and bmoregnr like this.
  12. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Can't imagine how amazing it must have been seeing the Europe 72' version of the GD in that place! If I could only go back in time..

bmoregnr likes this.
  13. JayB

JayB Senior Member

In most cases no...The disc versions at dead.net are superior in most cases and in many cases by a huge margin.

bmoregnr likes this.
  14. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

The Danish shows (4/14, 4/16) and 5/26 are my favorites from the box. No question at all for me.

Red-5 likes this.
  15. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Usually, my answer to many threads is "only one? I can't, sorry". I've been thinking it over and over again, and my answer to this particular thread is "only five? I can't, sorry".

Crispy Rob, four sticks and rbbert like this.
  16. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Hope this doesn't come off as a thread crap but why no "Friend of the Devil" on the Europe 72 tour? I love the slow version they started doing I think by the late 70's.

budwhite likes this.
  17. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

They did an electric, uptempo version later that year - it's good, but not great. I think it was a matter of not having found the right live arrangement at that point. I prefer it uptempo and acoustic, although the Jerry solo version from the Nicky Hopkins years is a keeper.

ianuaditis, DrLunchbox and SOONERFAN like this.
  18. EvanBNW

EvanBNW New Member

I've been digging through the shows a lot over the past year. Not all but about 7 or 8. Love the Copenhagen show, both nights in Paris and Lyceum on 5/26. The one that I seem to never get into that everyone else seems to love is the Rheinhalle show. Sure they play and sound great but to me the energy just isn't there and the crowd is too quiet for me. Plus some of the tracks in there put me to sleep like Me and Bobby McGee.

Red-5 likes this.
  19. Ray29

Ray29 Forum Resident

Dead site selling E72 shows at 25% off. Some have sold out but many are available. Hopefully they don't go out of print.

budwhite and Crispy Rob like this.
  20. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Wow!Looks like many if not all are sold out.Europe`72 the individual shows on physical media gone out of print?!

I`m glad I bought the generic cardboard box complete version way back.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  21. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

It appears so. I grabbed three more shows during the sale.

22. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

I predict someday they will sell this all over again in hi-res. Maybe I'll even still have the ears for it.

23. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Which show did they sing both verses of Dark Star?

24. I've listened to this tour obsessively since it was released.
    It's my Grateful Dead home base.
    I listen to earlier stuff, and later stuff, but Europe '72 is where it's at for me.

Every show is good.
    They are so hard to rank. My choices have shifted since I first purchased the set.

Here are some thoughts after a few years of obsessive listening:
    Olympia 5/3/72 is over-rated.
    The Aarhus, Denmark show is under-rated.
    The Jarhundert Halle show is amazing, maybe my favorite of the tour, and was just not done justice when it was released as Hundred Year Hall back in the 1990s.

Current faves:
    4/8 Wembley Empire Pool
    4/16 Stakladen, Aarhus, Denmark
    4/17 Tivoli, Copenhagen
    4/26 Jarhundert Halle

25. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

Olympia Theatre - Paris, France 5/4/72

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.