Are there any movies better on DVD than Blu-Ray?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Eric B., Aug 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Hutch and Eric B. like this.
  2. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I would be, because I don't think I own one. You got some examples?

3. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

The DVD of The Rutles was re-edited and featured a number of differences from the VHS version, included extensions of scenes that were originally cut on film.
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/the-pre-fab-four-fab-or-not-fab.107095/page-5#post-2440610

The VHS version had been edited to flow like an uninterrupted film anyway, when it originally aired with commercial breaks. I've been hoping for years to find a copy of that original broadcast.

The Blu-ray I hear was further tampered with - cropped to 16x9 and remixed for stereo. I intend to purchase it at some point, but the price hasn't dropped low enough (even on used copies) to entice me.

4. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Thanks. Too late to return to Amazon. I'll just have to check it out.

5. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Did the original mono soundtrack ever make it to a blu-ray release of The Terminator?

6. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yeah I bought it from Amazon too. Once I played a bit of it brought it to a used record store the next day. I think they gave $4 for it. Ridiculous.

7. Eric B.

Eric B. Active Member Thread Starter

Do the Star Trek Blu-rays have both versions on the same disc, or a seperate disc? I do agree some of the new fx are pretty cool, and having both options would be a cool upgrade.

8. Eric B.

I own some examples of Blu-rays that are actually upscaled SD, some have better lossless audio, some even have the lossy audio from dvd version, the AC/DC 'Let There Be Rock' Blu-ray is pretty much Identical to the DVD, with a 5.1 audio thats just mono anyway, the reviews claimed it was a 'revelation', but the source material is poor condition, (still a great concert with Bon Scot). Dianna Krall 'live in Paris' says 'upscaled from SD', and is labelled SD-Blue-ray, however the lossless audio is actually a nice Improvement from my DVD version. Also The Rolling Stones 'live from Hampton Coliseum 1981' is upscaled SD, and say SD-Blue-ray as well. Many concert dvd releases are 'bootleg' quality and aren't even DVD quality (Kissology vol.1 is so bad on DVD its like they recorded it over a payphone into a broken tape recorder), so a Blu-ray release isn't really any improvement.

9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

The lossless audio improvement alone makes the Blu ray better. I disagree with the negative review strongly.

POSITIVE review I agree with : http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Concert-for-George-Blu-ray/19429/#Review

I gave my DVD to a friend.

Jarleboy likes this.
  10. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Well, releasing an SD video on blu-ray while saying on the packaging that it is an SD blu-ray, I don't really have a problem with. It's honest and they're either selling "better" audio or cramming a lot of material on fewer discs. The post I responded to seemed to indicate that there are a lot of "sneaky" blu-rays that actually claim to be HD, but are merely ported over. I think a more likely scenario is that blus of some older films don't have a pronounced increase in resolution over a standard DVD. The improvements are there, they're just subtle. Of course everyone's monitor and interpretation of "improvement" is different. Another scenario is films that have been cleaned up too much, thus fine detail is removed and again, might not look any better than a DVD. I recently bought a blu of THE THIEF OF BAGDAD (silent) that was so cleaned up, I think a DVD wouldn't be any worse. I think DVD can look really good, by the way.

As for the original concept of this thread, I've kept my standard DVDs of DUMB & DUMBER and FRIDAY, because the blu-rays don't have original cuts on them (I know this for D&D, and I'm fairly sure about Friday).

Eric B. likes this.
  11. I'm assuming you mean the original series. Same disc. You can toggle between either original or new digital effects so, yes, they are on the same disc.

Eric B. likes this.
  12. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I definitely wouldn't lump in stuff like Eagle Vision's "SD Blu-ray" releases. They make it very clear that those releases use SD video sources and high-rez audio. It's basically a high-rez audio release for which they throw in SD video.

The potential for an increased bitrate even with SD video means that these releases could still offer at least a slightly better picture than a standard DVD as well. But either way, they make it very clear what you’re getting, and I have yet to hear a report that one of these “SD Blu-ray” releases are *worse* than a DVD counterpart.

13. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

No. I believe the last time it was available on a home release was on the laserdisc. The current audio track is a 5.1 which was mixed by Cameron.

Video quality-wise, the new blu-ray is exceptional. There is an earlier blu release which looks like crap, avoid it. This is the one to get.
    [​IMG]

[email protected] and Vidiot like this.
  14. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I sought out a used copy of the first Blu Ray edition of Predator for just that reason, I didn't want the noise reduction.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  15. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Except I (and I think a lot of people) hope Disney will eventually release these without the added FX from a proper transfer. Lucas had such contempt for the "non-special editions" that he begrudgingly agreed to let them port over the old laserdisc transfer to make the "original" version DVDs. In other words, it's better than nothing, but it's not the greatest transfer in the world.

Eric B. likes this.
  16. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Here's a somewhat obscure one. If you like the Director's Cut of Sam Raimi's "Army Of Darkness", it is currently only available on DVD. The caveat, however, is that the Hong Kong edition on MGM is the one to get. Anchor Bay's old Limited Edition DVD of the Director's Cut is the wrong aspect ratio (for some reason they presented it as 1.66:1 as opposed to the correct 1.85:1) and the inserted scenes are sourced from an inferior work print. Supposedly there was a rights issue regarding the footage in the U.S., so they couldn't use the actual film stock for the restored scenes. The Hong Kong release on MGM, however, has the correct aspect ratio and the restored scenes are from a film source, so the quality is uniform and the look of the film overall is seamless.

A search just revealed that Shout! Factory is releasing a 2 disc collector's edition on blu ray in October of this year, so perhaps they will finally get a good looking blu ray of the director's cut. They've yet to reveal details of what their set will contain.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  17. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Can you confirm, the Extended Edition DVD has the "normal" colour scheme?

The Blu-Ray of the Theatrical Cut is the original colour-scheme.

(P.S. - looking like it's about to rain, not uncommon for those parts of New Zealand! ;-) )

18. I also have the Ultimate Hunter version. Does anybody know what the 3D version looks like? I almost bought it and then remembered how terrible the UH version is.

19. Eric B.

I agree with you on Eagle Vision, they are clearly labelled 'SD Blu-rays ', and its the improvement in audio (Dianna Krall 'live in Paris' for example) that is the selling point. I have read reviews of people feeling 'cheated' or 'decieved', but I think its a fair compromise to get SD video with Blu-ray lossless sound.Thats why I bought the Stones Hampton coliseum 1981 on Blu-ray.

Jarleboy likes this.
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's the biggest crock I've heard in months.

Huck Caton, audiomixer and wayneklein like this.
  21. Eric B.

I wrongly assumed the new fx were 'permanent' on Star Trek original series. Having the ability to toggle between them is a pretty awesome feature, I stand corrected on that point.:ed:

22. Eric B.

Quick question for the collection, what's the preferred version of Die Hard?

23. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

My favorite BluRay is "How The West Was Won," which just looks breathtaking on a good-sized screen. It has the best picture quality of any disc I own. But I recently bought the three-disc Ultimate Collectors Edition DVD because of the incredible extras, which include small-scale replicas of the original movie program and the press book as well as an assortment of black and white production photographs and some color stills from the film designed to look like lobby cards. I haven't checked yet to see if the third disc in the set (which is all bonus special features) includes content that didn't get carried over to digibook edition of the BluRay, but I love the DVD set's packaging and printed extras. This Ultimate Collectors Edition DVD is just $18 at Amazon. I bought a sealed copy on eBay for $8. A must-have for fans of this Cinerama classic.

Eric B. likes this.
  24. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Sometimes the menus are easier to navigate on DVD. I have found that out.

Eric B. likes this.
  25. Eric B.

Another Blu-Ray with heavy handed DNR is 'The Longest Day', it looks like Predator-Ultimate Hunter. Really waxy, cartoonish even. The previous SD collectors edition has a few problems, including an anamorphic squeeze problem. However , the older letterbox DVD is better than the Collectors edition and the Blu-Ray , without the DNR of the Blu-Ray, or the squeezed image of the SD Collectors edition. The letterbox version has better subtitles as well, placed in the black bars below the picture. Hopefully its remastered again for Blu-Ray, its an important film for historical reasons, and the letterbox DVD is far from ideal, but still better than the scrubbed clean Blu-Ray.
    :tiphat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.