Is The Force Awakens critic proof?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by amonjamesduul, Aug 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just thinking with the recent Fantastic 4 movie on how possible it is to totally botch something up.So if episode 7 just totally blows,like the worst thing ever ,would it still make a billion just cause of the brand?many will say episode 1 blew and still made a mint (tho some people like it),I wonder if it would take like 3 or 4 bad Star Wars movies in a row to destroy the franchise or maybe it's armor plated cause of it's nostalgia.

2. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Episode 1 made a mint because people were truly that hungry for more Star Wars. Plus it was directed by the creator George Lucas. What could go wrong? It WAS armor plated because of nostalgia.

Episode 7 is almost armor plated. I think JJ Abrams is overrated as a director (I hated his Star Trek films). But the fact the Lawrence Kasdan is involved makes me somewhat optimistic. The only way it will bomb is if it truly gets abysmal reviews across the board and the people who line up at 2 a.m. in the morning come out of the theater screaming "I'm embarrassed I kept my kids out of school for this turd". Who would've thought that pulling it out of the hands of its creator would be a bonus.

enro99, mikeyt and gabacabriel like this.
  3. FastForward

FastForward Forum Resident

When did fanboys care about what the critics say about Star Wars anyways?

4. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

The fact that there are actually people who like the prequels and the travesties that Lucas turned the original trilogy into makes it critic proof. I hate, despise and loathe Abrams two Star Trek films but Lucas set the bar so low that he will need a shovel to go lower so I am optimistic.

FOX/Disney just announced that they are releasing the craptastic films that people already own in shiny new steelbook packaging and they are ordering them like crazy.

5. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

I think it is critic-proof, but if it is awful, the second one won't be so shielded...

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

Deuce66 likes this.
  6. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm just hoping for a good movie in the series ,i don't think there is anyway to recapture what Star Wars(ekk I can't stand saying A New Hope) or Empire felt like.

Jarleboy and lbangs like this.
  7. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I think Disney is well aware that if they blow it it means the loss of billions in future profits on the planned sequels and spin-offs. This one will be good but I wouldn't count on it for the future ones.

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It can't miss making a billion. But the trick is how far above that they can go. If it's even a little disappointing (as as Man of Steel was), it casts a shadow on all the future sequels they're planning.

eric777, Jarleboy and Captain Groovy like this.
  9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I think it's going to be the darling of both critics and fans, and wipe the Prequel bad taste out of fans' mouths for good.

MikeInFla likes this.
  10. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

If Disney get this right it could rival Avatar in box-office receipts (almost three billion)...if they get it wrong, it'll still do Transformers like business (a billion plus).

So yeah, this one movie is critic proof.

Personally, I have a feeling that the anthology titles - of which Rogue One is the first - might struggle a little. Seriously, who gives a rat's *ss about who stole the plans for the Death Star?

11. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I, and I'm sure many others, give at least a thousand rat's asses about Rogue One. There's no way that it's going to struggle at the box office. I'm sure it's going to do very well.

12. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

No. Movies are dead.

13. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Star Wars is coming to Disney Hollywood Studio soon in a big way.

They are not going to screw this movie up, nor Episodes 8 and 9.

Encuentro likes this.
  14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The other spinoff movie about the life of Han Solo as a 20-year-old could actually be very interesting. The word is that he's basically an orphan who grew up on the Wookie planet, which is how he met Chewbacca. If they can find a charismatic actor that looks like Harrison Ford in his late teens, and have that kind of cocky, arrogant-but-charming attitude... it could work.

Jarleboy, agaraffa and Encuentro like this.
  15. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Cocky, arrogant, charming, and looks like Harrison Ford...

Okay, I'll take the part. :)

Jarleboy and Encuentro like this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Here's the casting info:

The film, which already has a release date of May 25, 2018, will focus on "how young Han Solo became the smuggler, thief and scoundrel whom Luke Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi first encountered in the cantina at Mos Eisley."

The toughest task may lie ahead: Lord and Miller will need to use The Force to find a young actor who can embody the swagger, charm and chip-on-his-shoulder attitude that Harrison Ford brought to the iconic loner.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/young-han-solo-star-wars-807182

Note that Harrison Ford was almost 35 when he played in the original Star Wars, 38 years ago.

17. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Can it be any worse than the last lot?

lbangs likes this.
  18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yes.

[​IMG]

Dudley Morris, Vidiot and OcdMan like this.
  19. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

THe new star wars 3 were not that terrible, so ,yes, this can be worst.
    But JJ mostly makes decent movies.

Jarleboy and fuhrsy31 like this.
  20. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

I used to like Star Wars prior to the prequels... but I think it's all a load of **** now. I'll probably watch SW7 because I did enjoy the Star Trek reboots though.

21. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

Surprised there are folks who hated Abrams's Star Trek movies. Both of them were an absolute blast, IMO, and received critical acclaim. Not too fond of Khan's character in the second movie and Abrams' overuse of lens flare but otherwise both movies were excellent.

I highly doubt Episode 7 will disappoint. Everything I've seen and read about it so far seems top notch.

Encuentro likes this.
  22. Wondering

Wondering Well-Known Member

Not really a Star Wars fan, but kinda liked them all in a way.

I think they waited far too long between the old ones and the 2nd batch.
    Too much time has passed.
    Expectations are totally different over a few decades.

23. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Agreed on all points.

Heck, Jurassic World was critic proof, and that has a much smaller fan base than Star Wars.

John K.

24. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

I do think this one is critic proof. I haven't seen a movie in the theaters since 2005 (King Kong) and I can't wait to go see it. Despite growing up in the 80's and being a huge Star Wars fan as a kid, I still haven't seen any the prequels... I caught about 15 minutes of Episode 1 and that stupid Jar Jar Binks and that was enough for me. I think it was a wise move to bring back some of the original actors. I know it sounds stupid, but for me this is the first Star Wars film since Return of the Jedi... I don't really even consider the prequels at all.

By the way, I know they're probably not going to be the primary story, but does anyone know how big of roles the original actors are going to play? I hope it's more than just a glorified cameo.

25. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Rumours going around suggest that
    Han Solo plays a major role, Leia a supporting role, and Luke only appears briefly, as the plot revolves around his disappearance and the search for him.
    But... rumours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.