Films not yet released in HD/blu-ray that you're pining for...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by bleachershane, Aug 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident Thread Starter

The trouble with nearly all the TV titles mentioned is that they were originally only committed to standard definition video formats rather than film and therefore there's possibility of HD upgrades. Don't get me wrong, even standard definition material benefits from being transferred to newer digital formats such as MPEG-4 over MPEG-2 (standard definition material broadcast on HD television channels nearly always looks superior to DVD releases) it's still a niche market for such releases. If blu-ray had happened earlier it would've been a great format for entire standard definition television shows to be released on one blu-ray disc as opposed to multiple DVDs...

2. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Some TV series like Cheers, the X-Files and Quantum Leap already have high definition transfers (from film stock) and they look wonderful. For the time being you can only watch them on iTunes or other streaming services.

bleachershane likes this.
  3. bleachershane

I'm surprised that Cheers and Quantum Leap were captured on film, you learn something new every day!

Lucidae likes this.
  4. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

5. bleachershane

6. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

"Cheers is filmed before a Live studio audience!"

7. bleachershane

That went completely over my 6 year old head when I used to watch Cheers ;)

8. mep

mep Forum Resident

I would say that most of my list could easily get a proper BD-Release. There are already HD-Versions for Buffy, Seinfeld, X-Files and HIMYM available via TV-Broadcasting. For Columbo there was a Japan-box-set released. Cheers and Frasier where filmed on film; and Carnivale & Six Feet Under where HBO-Shows, which were shot quite at the same time as The Wire or The Sopranos (and for both shows great BD-Sets were released only a couple of months ago). So maybe Fawlty Towers would be the only one, where a BD-Release could not bring that much of an improvement...

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  9. Albert Brooks' oeuvre on BD is long overdue

10. bleachershane

If there was the possibility of an upgrade for "Fawlty Towers" I'd grab it with both hands, but looking at what the previous DVD remasters I'm taking a guess that's as good as the sources can give us. Of course, the comedy shines through but the video leaves a LOT to be desired.
    "Columbo" has been shown on high definition channels in the UK and compared to previous broadcasts there was a huge upgrade. Okay, it's not sparkly Hollywood, big budget HD, but there was a definite improvement.
    "To commemorate the death of Peter Falk, the complete series was released on Blu-ray in Japan as a ten-season set, taken from new HD masters and original 1.33:1 (4:3) aspect ratio (1989–2003 episodes are presented in 1.78:1 (16:9)."
    I'm wondering if the broadcasts I've seen are from these new HD masters, and why they haven't gained a worldwide release if the work has already been done...

mep likes this.
  11. bleachershane

Buffy:
    Negative Format
    16 mm (1997-1998)
    35 mm (1998-2003)
    Printed Film Format
    Video
    I think this means they'd need to go back to the original camera negatives to create a true HD transfer.

Seinfeld:
    Negative Format
    35 mm
    Cinematographic Process
    Spherical
    Printed Film Format Video (HDTV) (remastered re-runs)
    Video (NTSC)

The X-Files:
    Negative Format
    35 mm (Kodak)
    Cinematographic Process
    Super 35
    Printed Film Format
    Video (NTSC)
    I think this means they'd need to go back to the original camera negatives to create a true HD transfer.

How I Met Your Mother was obviously modern enough to be captured to HD video.

Carnivale:
    Negative Format
    35 mm
    Cinematographic Process
    Spherical

Six Feet Under
    Negative Format
    35 mm
    Cinematographic Process
    Super 35 (3-perf)
    Printed Film Format
    Video

So, yes, HD transfers are most definitely a possibility or have already occurred!

When it comes to Fawlty Towers:
    Camera
    EMI 2001 (studio work)
    Negative Format
    16 mm (location shots)
    Video (studio shots)
    Printed Film Format
    Video

If there was huge demand for it, the episodes could be upgraded if someone wanted to re-scan the location material from the original 16mm camera negative and then recreate the episodes with upscaled video (studio) content. In other words, we'll never see this in our lifetimes! ;););)

mep likes this.
  12. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I forgot to mention Everybody Loves Raymond, full HD versions can be found on iTunes in widescreen format (the DVD's were letterboxed).

13. mep

mep Forum Resident

I read on another thread, that the studio replied to that question, that they think there is not enough demand to release the show on BD. Maybe they just don´t want to ruin prices for their DVD-Releases of the show...

14. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

The Girl Can't Help It

15. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

30 Rock is another one that could easily be released on Blu-ray.

16. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

They are aired in HD, but there is still some serious work to be done with aspect ratios, colour timing, SD/HD effect shots, wrong takes that need to be sorted out. Don't think anyone from Buffy oversaw the HD masters and "mistakes" are currently plentiful.

17. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

A whole slate of 3-D movies from the 50s - 80s. I like some pretty awful 3-D movies, but even some of the classics (It Came From Outer Space / Miss Sadie Thompson / Hondo) have yet to be released on blu in 3-D. In some cases (Hondo fer instance) the 3-D mastering has been done, but no disc release.

18. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

I'm a big Cagney fan, and I have Yankee Doodle Dandy, The Public Enemy & White Heat on blu-ray, but would love Angels With Dirty Face & The Roaring Twenties as well. One.Two, Three would be great, but I don't think Strawberry Blonde even has a DVD release currently

19. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Ghost World is my most wanted.

Wondering, Pinknik and bleachershane like this.
  20. bleachershane

Has been released in Germany, but yeah, still no UK/US release...

21. mep

mep Forum Resident

Sure. But they show that HD-Versions are possible for these shows...

22. mep

mep Forum Resident

I ordered one and could check if it's actually codefree when the disc arrives at my place; in case someone here likes to import the movie...

23. malcolm reynolds

Please do. One of my favorite films.

24. bleachershane

According to the page on blu-ray.com it's region free: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Ghost-World-Blu-ray/98821/#UserReviews

25. malcolm reynolds

Thanks. I read a rumor that Criterion might actually be getting this so my DVD will tide me over a bit I think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.