Actors who played the same character in different (non-sequel, non-series) films

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Monosterio, Sep 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

What about Leonard Nimoy as Spock in the original Trek films and in the reboot?

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Will Jordan played Ed Sullivan in six different movies - does that count? :D

[​IMG]

3. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

That reminds me that Danny Trejo has played Machete in both Machete and Spy Kids, which weren't related. They've both had sequels though.

mattright and minerwerks like this.
  4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

And don't forget the Machete "trailer" in "Grindhouse"! :)

Aggie87 likes this.
  5. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Edward Everett Horton and James Gleason in Here Comes Mr. Jordan (1941) a not-musical in BW, and in Down To Earth (1947) a musical in color.

6. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Bela Lugosi played Count Dracula in the 1931 classic, and later as the same character in the comedy classic ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN. That same movie also gives us Lon Chaney, Jr. playing Larry Talbot, the Wolf Man, a role he reprised from the 1941 THE WOLF MAN. I don't think you could consider the ABBOTT & COSTELLO movie a sequel.

Harry

7. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

Michael Sheen played British Prime Minister Tony Blair in both The Queen and The Special Relationship (a TV movie). And Helen McCory played Blair's wife Cherie in the same two films.

GodShifter and hellion like this.
  8. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Peter Ustinov as Hercule Poirot in Death on the Nile (1978) and Evil Under the Sun (1982).

9. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just looked it up on Wikipedia, and he played the character six times--in three theatrical movies and three TV ones.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hercule_Poirot

10. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Burt Reynolds played Gator Mcklusky in White lightning and Gator.
    it may be a sequel?

11. Monosterio

The Machete films were spun off from the Spy Kids series, so that counts. :righton:

12. Monosterio

Yeah, that would be like Stallone with First Blood and then the movies with Rambo in the title. Gator and Rambo are the central characters in their respective films, so they don't count.

And, btw, neither does the Hercule Poirot example above, as to me that was a series--or two series, if you want to count the theatrical and TV movies differently (but Poirot was still the central character in both).

13. Monosterio

Paul Newman played private detective Lew Harper in the 1966 Harper and the 1975 The Drowning Pool. One more and it would have been a series. (I guess it could be considered a sequel, though.) :)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  14. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Peter O'Toole as Henry II in Becket and A Lion in Winter

15. redsmith7887

redsmith7887 Forum Resident

I know you were keeping this out of the world of TV but the Belzer character is an interesting one. He appeared in:

Law & Order
    Arrested Development
    X-Files
    The Beat
    The Wire
    A Very Brady Sequel (movie here)
    30 Rock
    Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
    Muppet on Sesame Street

16. Monosterio

Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy played their Before Sunrise series characters in another Richard Linklater film, Waking Life.

mattright, SuntoryTime, FVDnz and 2 others like this.
  17. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Dan Aykroyd did a cameo of his Ghostbusters character in the 1995 film version of Casper.

18. Timothy Olyphant

Deadwood and Justified :D

(well - TV series)

19. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

He also played Marcia Brady in some Snickers commercials. ;)

Aggie87 and PHILLYQ like this.
  20. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

Marlon Brando in The Godfather and The Freshman. Technically not the same character but really it kinda was.

fr in sc, Hot Ptah and halfjapanese like this.
  21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Dan Aykroyd played Dr. Raymond Stantz in Ghostbusters/Ghostbusters II and had a cameo as the character in the live-action Casper movie from 1995.

22. Ok to me thst IS a sequel.

23. That wasn't the same character. May be similar characters, same actor but not the same character.

24. Monosterio

In what way? Before Sunset is the sequel to Before Sunrise, and then there's a third part. But Waking Life is a whole different movie that includes those characters in one section. And it's animated.

SuntoryTime and Dudley Morris like this.
  25. Well, I could be wrong. I think of a film with the same characters as a sequel since they are continuing the journey/story of the character in some way.

I mean a sequel is defined:

A sequel (also known as a follow-up) is a narrative, documental, or other work of literature, film, theatre, television, music, or game that continues the story of, or expands upon, some earlier work. In the common context of a narrative work of fiction, a sequel portrays events set in the same fictional universe as an earlier work, usually chronologically following the events of that work.

It's your thread though so carry on. I just find that most of the examples to fall within that context.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.