DCC Archive Can CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vivaldinization, Oct 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member Thread Starter

Hey all,

I just caved in and bought Can's "Soundtracks" and "Tago Mago" discs (they're GOOD...VERY good...didn't think I'd like that sort of thing, but then again, I like Beefheart, so...)

Anyway, my question: both are incredibly skimpy on art. I assume the original LPs were more colorful? (and the band, perhaps to be 'mysterious,' decided to go the minimalist route for the CDs?)

-D

2. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I don't have the latest issues on CD but the original CD's booklets(actually just fold over sheets) were better than the original LP's. Soundtracks was a non gatefold issue and Tago Mago had only minimial words inside. The UK version of Mago was better than the German art which is the source of the CD.
    I highly recommend picking up the Can Box from about 3 years ago the Video is great and includes their legendary FREE concert at the peak of the power. You must get Ege Bamyaski by far their best recording with Damo. I've been a fan of theirs since 73 and even their reunion album from the late 80's was good.
    Start with their earliest albums and work your way forward.

Mad shadows likes this.
  3. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Why not get the new Vinyl releases. Very nice

4. cubbykat

cubbykat Bringer Of Pain To Your Face

I'm going to hazard a guess that wasn't an option in 2001...

5. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Dude that post was from 14 years ago

6. Inner ear

Inner ear Forum Resident

Listening to Tago Mago. Never heard of these guys before today.

It's Felix likes this.
  7. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

My faves are Future Days, Soon Over Babaluma, Landed and Saw Delight. :agree:

It's Felix and Inner ear like this.
  8. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Yup! Some threads get stuck in a time warp. :laugh:

9. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

Weird - just watching a documentary about Can when this appeared.

10. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Please let us know if you liked it. Thanks.

bleachershane likes this.
  11. Inner ear

Inner ear Forum Resident

I am quite intrigued. I have to listen to more of their stuff but definitely it is very interesting music. I was also trying to figure out what was intriguing about it but have not gotten that far yet. It is amazing that there is so much great music out there, a lot of it 40-50 yrs old, which I am discovering now as opposed to back in my youth.

12. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

I ordered Tago Mago from a seller on Discogs last weekend, it'll be my introduction to Can. Can't wait to get it. You're perfectly right about the amount of great music. I'm 55 but still, I discover great bands and great albums all the time. Amazing. Thanks for the post !

It's Felix likes this.
  13. Inner ear

Inner ear Forum Resident

Same here. I'm 53.

dennis the menace likes this.
  14. It's Felix

I know but look at the new fan its resurrection garnered

Alexlotl likes this.
  15. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

It's funny that I have been listening to the excellent 'Sacrilege' remix album for years but have only very recently started to investigate the actual albums that the tracks are from. The 'John Peel Session' that is on youtube is well worth hunting down as well as the live stuff from the Damo years.

It's Felix likes this.
  16. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

I think Monster Movie is a brilliant album.

It's Felix likes this.
  17. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Out Of Reach and, to a lesser extent, the S/T are the only ones (IMO) that are not really worth investigating. All the others are quite brilliant (and that includes the often underrated Virgin albums).

18. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

This was my introduction to Can. Blew me away. Get to the mid-section where the tempo goes up, the powerhouse drummer's hi-hat pedal breaks and he just keeps powering through. "Tago Mago" is a great starting point for anyone on this thread that hasn't heard of them before!

It's Felix likes this.
  19. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Can't understand how Spoon/Mute could release 'Out Of Reach' on CD before 'Prehistoric Future.' Priorities, people! COME ON!!

crozcat likes this.
  20. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I've seen a CD of Prehistoric Future once (didn't buy it, sadly), but this may very well not be legit...

21. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Start at the beginning until you get bored. Actually, some people are put off by "Aumgn" and "Peking O" on Tago Mago, but these tracks are actually the best ones on the album. Tago Mago is one album that changed my perception of music.

22. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

The internet can't seem to agree, so does anyone know for definite how to pronounce Ege Bamyasi?

23. It's Felix

For Can virgins. I recommend Future Days. Surely the best four song album ever made. Seems to have invented Ambient, post rock, madchester baggy and Indie dance music all by itself. I may be exaggerating a little.

24. It's Felix

Not heard sacrilege. What are the remixes of?

25. It's Felix

Yeah but I wanted a 'line' to get people talking about Can again!

cubbykat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.