Favorite Painting of All Time

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Gallileo, Jul 20, 2013.

1. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Did some work for a company, and traveled through the area of Solon, Iowa that travel and time reminds me of this painting by Grant Wood:

[​IMG]

2. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

I haven't posted to this thread in a couple of years. This bold fantasy piece by Keith Birdsong is among my favorites...

[​IMG]

3. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

One thing is, I wish I could see many of these paintings in person. I remember the first time I saw a major exhibit in Munich. One of the paintings was the famous Van Gogh "Sunflower". I had seen this painting many times in print. I always thought "Hmm, big deal". But when I saw it in person I was mesmerized. I stood there looking at it at many different angles for so long the gaurd got nervous and came stood next to me.

The impact of seeing a classic work live and as the real deal can be startling.

Some amazing works being shared here. Thanks.

Tuco, eddiel, drh and 2 others like this.
  4. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

The Barnes Foundation/collection story is amazingly sad and I watched it after I went to the new museum and I felt like crap, knowing that this is exactly what Dr. Barnes never wanted to happen to his collection. With that said, his original home sadly fell into disrepair, along with the issues of the neighbor's in that neighborhood, hating all the visiter's, so in the end, this new museum was the only right thing to do, as it preserves the paintings and allows any of us to see it. In the end all of this proved one thing, no matter what you put in your will, once your dead, that NOTHING is forever!

zobalob likes this.
  5. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

It amazed me that when the National Gallery of Art has a Pre-Raphaelite exhibit, the Washington Post's art critic panned it because it was a worthless, dead end art movement. A worthless critic IMO.

I believe I've mentioned it before on this thread, the Delaware Museum of Art in Wilmington has the largest Pre-Raphaelite collection in the US. It's a great collection on permanent exhibit and online, no Waterhouse though.

http://www.preraph.org/

6. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I was in Iowa for the first time this summer, off of I80 in the western part of the state, and it indeed looks like that with paved instead of dirt roads. It also reminded me a lot of rural areas of Europe that I've been too with a distinct demarcation between villages and farms. Most other rural areas I've been to in the US, the villages sprawl.

7. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I have a large canvas print of Lady Of Shalot. Love it.

Karnak likes this.
  8. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

9. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

A couple from Patterson Ewan:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

blutiga and drasil like this.
  10. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

A couple from Jack Bush:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

smilin ed and drasil like this.
  11. Pete Norman

Pete Norman Forum Resident

Rembrandt's last self portrait when he was in his 60's.

blutiga likes this.
  12. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

[​IMG]

I can easily identify with Lowry's 'Going To The Match'. Makes me feel warm inside. Nostalgia for a time I almost knew (from memories my father passed on).

johnnyyen and smilin ed like this.
  13. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

14. Andy Smith

Does it say "Bugger off you lot, I need to lock up. Go home!" ?

15. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Here's another that I spend a lot of time staring at; Peter Blume's, 'The Rock'. this was originally commissioned to hang in Frank Lloyd Wright's 'Fallingwater' in Pennsylvania. It now resides in Chicago at the Art Institute.
    [​IMG]

OZmosis, Tuco, zobalob and 4 others like this.
  16. redmetalmoose

redmetalmoose Forum Resident

My daughter took me to the Hokusai exhibit in Boston this summer.His command of subject matter from landscapes to supernatural dreamscapes and wildlife were stunning.
    [​IMG]
    Painting he did on silk to wrap a present.
    [​IMG]
    And this Hokusai painted based on a novel from the 1803 and the kabuki plays based on it.An unfaithful wife and her lover kill her husband.His decomposing corpse returns,tearing the netting down above them while they lie in bed.
    [​IMG]
    It was really cool.So much more to this master than just the big wave.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
    Tuco, zobalob, smilin ed and 3 others like this.
  17. Andy Smith

About '86-'87ish I was in the Tate, looking at 'Ophelia'. After 30 seconds or so I turned around to move on and The Police's guitarist Andy Summers was right behind me, looking on in admiration. A hushed world-famous art gallery is NOT the place to noisily gush how I thought that 'Can't Stand Losing You' was the single of '78. So I didn't. Neither did I follow him around the rest of the building because that would simply be weird (and my wife wouldn't let me). Which is a shame because I've never had the opportunity since. Like he'd care about my opinion anyway... But still.

Tuco and smilin ed like this.
  18. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

White Swan, Crow (late 19th century):

[​IMG]

Tuco, zobalob, Mark E. Moon. and 2 others like this.
  19. GullGutt

GullGutt Hei hopp

Edvard Munch's Madonna 1894
    [​IMG]

20. doublenaught

doublenaught Forum Resident

Some previous posters are correct. You can't pick a favorite painting, especially if you've studied art. I'll post my favorite painting that belongs on a music forum: "Swing Landscape" by Stuart Davis. I've seen it many times and it always draws my attention.
    [​IMG]

bluesky, Binni, Tuco and 3 others like this.
  21. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Even if you haven't studied art

doublenaught likes this.
  22. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

It's nice to see something other than The Scream. I don't think I've ever seen any of his art in person.

23. Andy Smith

If I can be slightly irreverent on one occasion, I admit to loving this. Pete McKee's 'Lexicon Of Pub' (which I've previously posted some while ago on a Hoffman ABC thread)

[​IMG]

eddiel likes this.
  24. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Tuco, zobalob and johnnyyen like this.
  25. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

Too sentimental for many; not for me.

Angel | 1887 | Abbot Thayer

[​IMG]

Tokyo Ghost likes this.