Bob Dylan: "Trouble No More 1979 - 1981" - The Bootleg Series Vol. 13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Though you're certainly correct about the lack of set list or arrangement variation, I may beg to differ here. Dylan in live performance from that period to me is more interesting than hearing a bunch of alternate studio takes, as their character often varied depending on mood, audience response, etc.

In fact, the famous electric Manchester is relatively tame compared to gigs like Liverpool and Melbourne. Also, the acoustic performances changed in texture over the course of the tour - Dylan mostly playing it pretty straight early on, later changing his approach with more exaggerated phrasing and expansive playing, particularly the final gigs in London at the Albert Hall.

Moreover, the variations in the character of the recordings themselves make them that much more intriguing. Finally, you have the wealth of chessnuts from his audience interactions - including his brilliant techniques of "crowd management".

DeeThomaz and cc-- like this.
  2. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

It feels like those amazing performance SHOULD be made available. I'd certainly buy a box entirely of '66 Tour Recordings. But it's hard to see a likely path to that happening next year. At best, I think we may get some uncirculated performances on the '66 Copyright Extension set. But even worse, if they're confident the recordings they have aren't going to leak out, we might not even get that, and they only issue the circulating material on that year's CES.

3. INSW

INSW Senior Member

TV Talking Song is great.

Claudio Dirani and DeeThomaz like this.
  4. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Blood On The Tracks is long overdue.

5. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Holy crap! I guess I need to get that book ... Has Heylin softened on Oh Mercy and/or the Lanois collaborations, or is he still a hater?

DeeThomaz likes this.
  6. Sean Murdock

Ah.

7. Joe N

Joe N Forum Resident

I'm rooting for Blood on the Tracks, especially the New York sessions of those songs.

8. DeeThomaz

Not entirely, but I've never seen him as a "hater" so much as having an "attitude"-- which may be a distinction without a difference, as they say, but to me implies a person who is open to re-evaluating their opinions when confronted with new evidence. In any case, he has a good nose for establishing facts, a very valuable trait.

The book (books, actually, as Revolution In The Air & Still On The Road are a two part survey of all Dylan's extant compositions) is highly recommended. Even if his tone can be obnoxious, I think it's the best one-stop shop regarding it's subject matter.

He did suggest Oh Mercy could be a "masterpiece" if had been better compiled from the available material. I can't say I disagree with that assessment.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
    Claudio Dirani and fallbreaks like this.
  9. DeeThomaz

It does seem overdue. Not to mention an awesome prospect on it's own merits.

cboldman and JohnnyQuest like this.
  10. Sean Murdock

Since this is still a "speculation" thread, here are all the potential Bootleg Series projects that are "on the table" -- according to sources who have spoken to Rolling Stone:

BLOOD ON THE TRACKS: "Sets for Blood on the Tracks and Blonde on Blonde will eventually come out." (July 2013)

"We don't know exactly what the next Bootleg Series is going to be," says a source close to the Dylan camp. "There's a couple of things on our minds, but the natural next one is Blood on the Tracks." (January 2014)

"We're thinking we'll revisit the 1975 era and Blood on the Tracks," says the source. "The unheard stuff from there is crazy. You can hear the first day of recordings before they put all that echo on. It's amazing." (August 2014)

"We'd also love to revisit Blood on the Tracks, Infidels, Oh Mercy and the gospel albums." (September 2015)

SUPPER CLUB: A CD/DVD set of Dylan's famous 1993 stand at New York's Supper Club was nearly released (in 2010) instead of the Witmark Demos. "I decided I liked the story of the Witmark Demos better than the Supper Club," says the source. "That will definitely come out on CD and DVD sometime soon, though." (August 2010)

ROLLING THUNDER: We asked our source about the documentary of Dylan's 1975/76 Rolling Thunder Revue, which has been in development for years. "We’re still working on it," says the source. "I hope it comes out in the next couple of years." (August 2010)

Another project that's been in the works for years is a documentary about The Rolling Thunder Revue … "We're going to keep mum on that for the time being," says the source. "We have no clue when it's going to come out. Maybe this year, but we're just hoping it happens sometime in our lifetimes." (January 2014)

BOOTLEG SERIES DVDs: After [a Rolling Thunder documentary] does finally come out, the Dylan camp plans on releasing a series of Bootleg Series DVDs. "We'll put out the [1976] Hard Rain TV special," the source says. "We have other TV special we'll put out after that." [NOTE: I assume they meant "specials" (plural) rather than "special."] (August 2010)

BORN-AGAIN YEARS: "The only issue is that we fear nobody will be interested. It's not a period people are clamoring for, so it's kind of a square peg for a round hole. That said, exploring the born again period would be very interesting. He played a lot of songs live that weren't recorded and a deluxe box would be fun to do. It's a period that been much-maligned, but with the benefit of hindsight it's clear that Bob was doing some great things." (January 2014)

"We'd also love to revisit [...] the gospel albums." (September 2015)

COFFEEHOUSE BOB: "We've always wanted to do one of pre-album stuff where Bob is just singing songs in Greenwich Village coffeehouses," says the Dylan source. (September 2015)

INFIDELS / OH MERCY: "We'd also love to revisit Blood on the Tracks, Infidels, Oh Mercy and the gospel albums." (September 2015)

GENERAL PHILOSOPHY & DIRECTION OF THE BOOTLEG SERIES: "We're trying to put this stuff out in an intelligent way," says the source. (July 2013)

CHRONICLES VOL. 2: Less likely to see the light of day: a sequel to Dylan's acclaimed 2004 book Chronicles Vol. 1. "I hope there's another one," the source says. "That's all I can say. If it was planned I'd tell you." (August 2010)

A question about a possible follow-up to Bob Dylan's 2004 book, Chronicles: Volume One, elicits a laugh and two words: "No comment." (August 2014)

11. DeeThomaz

Is there an award for Most Useful Steve Hoffman board posts? Because I'm very close to nominating you for one....

12. Sean Murdock

I'd have to go back to my copy of Behind The Shades, but I remember him being really aggravated by the Oh Mercy tracklist, calling it "perverse" and citing the great tracks left off it. I tend to agree with him on some of them, but the "Bob destroyed his album and I obviously know how it could be great" complaint is an old saw of Heylin's that I get tired of. I remember him being REALLY dismissive of TOOM -- to the point where I was shocked when he was hired to do the "Complete Albums" liner notes.

Claudio Dirani likes this.
  13. Sean Murdock

LOL. I keep a running text file compilation of all these bits and quotes; makes it easy to re-post every year when the next round of speculating begins.

14. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

15. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Such as unreleased recordings.

16. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

VOL. 13 PRE-ORDERED! :yikes: :wiggle: :tiphat: :link:

17. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

I think it's stupid that these collections aren't available as legal downloads.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  18. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

And my own perspective is the floodgates are wide open for all unreleased Dylan.

19. Sean Murdock

I can see why they don't want these sets as normal, mainstream BS releases. As much as we value this stuff, and as much as they feel it's worth retaining the copyright for it, these are pretty ragged collections. If they ever do a Super Deluxe Freewheelin' then great -- they've retained the rights to all those outtakes. But look at how some people are griping they've "gone too far" with BS12 -- and that stuff is unquestionably the cream of the crop. What do you think they would say if Sony tried to sell them an entire disc of "Mixed Up Confusion"?

20. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

It's obvious to me that we'll get a Blood on the Tracks set eventually, and when it happens, it seems increasingly likely that there will be a deluxe version that includes every take of every song recorded during those sessions.

I, for one, would be willing to shell out $$$ for a massive box set documenting the 1965-1966 world tour. The box should include every professionally recorded concert from that tour (with the possible exception of the show released as Bootleg Series Vol. 4), the Eat the Document and Something is Happening documents, and, if possible, a concert film assembled from the documentary footage. Heck, they may as well throw in audio or video of the press conferences as well.

It also like to see a more comprehensive document of the first leg of the Rolling Thunder tour.

21. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

The presses that printed the release for the vol 12 set are still warm!

Clanceman and johnaltman like this.
  22. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

As long as the price isn't $600 I'd say "where do I pay"! :yikes:

23. DeeThomaz

That was part of the fun in starting the thread, I have to confess.

beneta, nbadge and gottafeelin like this.
  24. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

I'm skipping Volume 13, but I'm in for the 80-disc edition of Volume 14.

25. Moth

Moth fluttering by

I want the early Knocked Out Loaded recordings that Bob tossed aside. Barring that (because how many people would actually be interested in something like that), I'm in for a BS on the gospel years.

Still hesitant about the seeming lack of material for Blood on the Tracks.

jamiesjamies likes this.