Record stores in New York

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by ekymetal, Mar 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I agree, I just popped in because I was in the neighborhood and I was pleasantly surprised.

2. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

Bleecker St. Records has moved a few blocks over - it's not far but it's a bit tricky to find now. The large cat is still there (this is an important fact for my girlfriend). Village Music World is only a few blocks away, as is Rebel Rebel. Both the east and west villages are now major foodie spots as well.

Which deli was on DDD? There's a reason Katz's remains popular, but I'm personally a big fan of Sarge's, and they're much less busy (Sarge's is 24/7, Katz's is open until 3 AM on weekends).

3. hornsz

hornsz Forum Resident

My wife is upset because of the move. She would hang out at the little bakery next to Bleeker st Records and take the kids for treats while I ran rampant. Now what is she to do? Actually this is very tongue in cheek....she love Springsteen and digs for stuff too....

She also is the DDD expert. She saw the episode on the Brooklyn Diner and wants to go there. I'll get the name of it and post it when I get home.

4. egoBen

egoBen Forum Resident

Thanks for this thread. I'm soon going to NY and will not spend time on regular sightseeing, I prefer going to concerts, having some beers and stuff like that. Since we are going to Brooklyn' twice to see Luna and Yo La Tengo with Nick Lowe it shouldn't be too hard to squeeze in some records shops! Here's what I've marked so far.

[​IMG]

5. egoBen

egoBen Forum Resident

And here are some on Manhattan. A proper up to date list would be good with opening hours and addresses, but I'm too lazy. This will do.

[​IMG]

6. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

If you drew a circle encompassing Rebel Rebel to Generation Records...man I miss my time frequently visiting that part of the city. There should be some other shops within that "zone" worth checking out as well and some great neighborhood bars to boot!

7. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

FYI, Permanent has moved. And you might want to avoid The Thing (rumors of bedbugs). Everything else looks solid, tho.

8. listner_matt

listner_matt Still thinks music is an inexhaustible resource

Permanent moved to a tiny spot on the second floor of a co-operative workspace near the Gowanus. It's much less of a store than a cubby hole -- and when I went to visit, there wasn't any signage on the street, so I almost missed it.

As for Greenpoint, I'm a major fan of Record Grouch and the Academy outpost. Captured Tracks has a good vibe too, but I've only been there on RSD 2014 and '15.

JuanTCB likes this.
  9. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Trip to NYC upcoming. Any new stores in Manhattan worth a visit?

What are best bets for jazz (besides DMG and Jazz Record Center) ?

10. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Academy Records - 2 locations:

W18th between 5th and 6th Avenues and on E12 and 1st Avenue

11. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

Go to Brooklyn. Seriously. They've really stepped up their game. See Travis at Human Head.

12. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Where is it located?

13. listner_matt

listner_matt Still thinks music is an inexhaustible resource

14. Linus Vendeen

Linus Vendeen Forum Resident

Nothing new to offer but I remember my first trip to New York in 1989 - I came back weighed down with vinyl - so many great places. I was there on my own and knew nobody so I stayed at a YMCA just near the Empire State Building which is gone now I think. I could not believe how cheap stuff was, I have albums from then with little stickers on from a store called Record Hunter - each has a code letter - signifying the price.

Hep Alien, CCrider92 and Tommyboy like this.
  15. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

16. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

That's cool. Great story.

It's a different world. I'll bet most of those stores you visited are no longer there. Very sad.

Linus Vendeen likes this.
  17. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

It is very sad indeed for those of us who recall the glory days of record shopping in New York, especially Greenwich Village. That said it's good to see growth again, especially in Brooklyn. I'm from New York but have lived in Los Angeles for 24 years and am very appreciative of how great it is out here for buying records. Work projects usually bring me to New York for several months in any given year and I always do some music hunting when in my old hometown. I look forward to the next time, whenever that may be.

Hep Alien likes this.
  18. Linus Vendeen

Linus Vendeen Forum Resident

Not in New York but you may be interested to see Hong Kong's best known record shop. Paul, who's shop is his flat which is piled up with vinyl. He literally has no room to move with records taking up all the space.

19. Muggles

Muggles Forum Resident

If you happen to be in NYC this weekend, may want to check out the WFMY Record Fair.

20. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

21. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

22. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

23. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Man, that's a bummer. All my old haunts are disappearing.

24. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Any place to recommend in Queens, or should one just hop over to Brooklyn?

25. drasil

drasil Former Resident

the arepa lady in jackson heights.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.