The Velvet Underground "White Light/White Heat" 45th Anniversary Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Marry a Carrot, Sep 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I still wish that Universal would have issued this like the rarities edition for the first album. All I want is the mono album and the singles.

Mr Sam and DeeThomaz like this.
  2. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Different mix. Sundazed previewed it on the Singles box, where they apparently used a mono-fold down of the stereo mix that appears on this box.

3. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

There is the theory that the version of "Guess I'm Falling In Love" that Cale played on the radio was not from the Gymnasium at all, but from an appearance by the band on the TV show "Upbeat." Sadly, as far as I know, the audio/visual evidence doesn't exist to confirm or debunk this notion.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
    Mike D'Aversa and dino77 like this.
  4. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Chris M likes this.
  5. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I wonder about that, but then they did three(?) nights at the Gymnasium, so it could be from another night. An then why would he get the version of Booker T right and Fever, wrong?

There has always been a rumour that Tony Conrad recorded a gig/tv show over the telephone. Some people have speculated that it was an Upbeat show.

I think there were three appearances on Upbeat. There are first-hand accounts of one or two of them.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  6. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

While Gymnasium tape on third CD is taken from Cale's own tape and by definition it is the master tape, why they not checked common bootleg version taken from vinyl is beyond me. Obviously, bootleg transfer from Cale tape was made many many years ago since at that time there was not that much volume flunctuations and almost no tape drop outs. So we have this situation that bootleg obviously is winner, despite original master tape is used! Just compare Guess I'm Falling In Love on new CD with transfer on bootleg or Peel Slowly & See. Night & Day. So much drop outs and volume issues on new versions so it is just not enjoyable anymore. I will make my own version - restore all guitar tuning + Waiting For The Man announcement & adding The Gift from deluxe. By the way.. is there other songs performed between Sister Ray & Gift? There is strange pause between these two..

I'm sure there is collector sitting on Cale past transfer in much better quality than of 2013, who was the source of vinyl bootleg. There was rumours long before 2013, about The Gift perfomance ommited from bootleg (prob. because it's didn't fit on single vinyl already).

Cale is probably too lazy or didn't care to check his tape archives for further VU tapes. I'm sure there is second tape with Walk & Talk

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
    jay.dee and bluesbro like this.
  7. hallucalation

In fact, isn't there is the story i read either in Unterberger book or in net, that one fan asked Tony Conrad if he had any rehearsal or live tapes from the band and if he have - could he possibly make copies for him? When Cale learned about this he immediatly grab all VU tapes Conrad had and the rest is history.. BTW, that was story relating to half-hour tape of Primitives rehearsals from late 64.

8. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

This whole fiasco is another reason I only wanted the two discs with the mono album, singles/outtakes. I just wanted disc one and two. Is it too much to ask Universal to slap together the material from the two most desirable discs minus the stereo mix into one nice humble but affordable package?

Mr Sam likes this.
  9. hallucalation

I'm suprised how much mono is better than stereo. Even if it's almost fold-down. Stereo lacks the punch and i'm surprised how much clipping is in stereo master. WL/WH and I Heard Her Call My Name is almost unlistenable on high volume..

DeeThomaz likes this.
  10. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I don't need another stereo mix of this album. I have the old 80s CD, the 1996 remaster as well as the tracks on the What Goes On box. The mono mix/singles/rarities is all I want.

11. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I love the mono too.

12. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Perhaps hearsay, but the story is that Cale was worried Lou Reed might set his lawyers on Tony Conrad. Lou Reed had become very sensitive about that stuff.

13. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I remember a person who visited the VU forum said that he had a DAT with Walk and Talk it on. He might have been winding everyone up and disappeared soon after.

14. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I'm REALLY curious if that tape exists, or if Cale was just mis-remembering. Obviously, the band probably played the song while he was still a member (hard to imagine him citing a song that completely post-dated his work with the band) but I'm not entirely convinced it was actually captured live.

John Cale, please prove me wrong!

15. hallucalation

In fact there is a rumours about soundboard (or very good quality) tape from Rhode School Of Design, 1967. I'm sure there's people sitting on it..

notesfrom likes this.
  16. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

The story about that tape is pretty wild!

17. hallucalation

I think someone copied Gymnasium tape for his collection and then send master tape for Cale very long time ago. Then this copy was bootlegged in 2008 and pressed on to vinyl. Booker T was ommitted probably because it was already released on Peel Slowly & See and Cale Paris EP. Gift probably left off because of vinyl space, as i said before.

18. hallucalation

Could you tell? I have some vague info about this.. I remember some guy from VU forum tried to get this for many years..

19. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Which versions are you comparing? I almost never listen to the mono as the stereo separation helps open up the sound for me. My instinct takes me to the stereo but I wonder which is the best mono to listen to?

20. hallucalation

I have compared CD 2 from the box with Sundazed version from vinyl box and CD is winner. Much more power and punch + vocals sounds a lot cleaner than in stereo.

Marble Index likes this.
  21. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Yes, I thought the Sundazed mono was a bit flat and lifeless. I've enjoyed the WLWH box remaster (my fave VU Super-deluxe) - at least up there with the mfsl. But you say the box stereo sounds clipped?

22. hallucalation

I guess that's what in recording. When you play LOUD some really loud distorted tracks (which itself recorded very loud) - you know what i'm talks about.. Especially if this recordings are dull too! The same vocal clipping is in Gymnasium tracks when vocal overpowered all. Maybe i mean distortion, not clipping. My English is not so strong

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  23. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I always thought the distortion that creates mental-earache was a problem of digital mastering. But then I realise too, that Sundazed made their WLWH vinyl very quiet. Maybe for the same reason? I remember, that when Bill Levenson oversaw the remaster of the album in the 80s - the first (and quiet) CD of WLWH, he said that they could not leave the distortion of the original recording in there.

WLWH is one of my top ten favourite LPs, so I'm going to give your observations (mono v stereo of the remaster) some thought time in listening.

btw. I thought the vinyl remaster was underwhelming

hallucalation likes this.
  24. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I really think the new stereo one is better than the '86 and the '96. But I reckon good things do and can happen.

25. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Edit. Actually just played the '86 and it does sound great loud.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.