Michael Hedges - Aerial Boundaries [AF SACD]?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Galley, Jul 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Galley

Galley Forum Resident Thread Starter

One Bit Audio has the artwork for the SACD, which hasn't been announced yet. The link leads to the vinyl version. Hmmm...
    http://onebitaudio.com/?p=12403

2. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Yep, I wrote AF asking if there was going to be an SACD along with the vinyl since it's being advertised but have gotten no response.

3. YouKnowEyeKnow

YouKnowEyeKnow Forum Resident

I have a mint original vinyl I bought for $1 that sounds unreal, so I think I will pass on this reissue for either format.

Max Florian, dadonred and ruben lopez like this.
  4. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Finally got an email back from AF -

I apologize for the delay in responding to your inquiry. We will
    be releasing Michael Hedges "Aerial Boundaries" 180g Vinyl on July 24th. As for
    the SACD, we do have that in the works but it is not scheduled for release yet.
    I understand some websites have started advertising the SACD in error. This
    will most likely be a 2016 release. Once we are ready to release this we will
    announce it on our website. Keep checking back with us.

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

To Audio Fidelity's point, the Aerial Boundaries SACD is available for pre-order on amazon.com (link below). They claim a release date of August 21st. I'm not holding my breath.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010FP0V08

triple likes this.
  6. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Wonderful news! :)

7. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Wrong year Amazon. ;)

8. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Anyone pick up the new vinyl addition of this?

9. KeithH

Amazon.com now shows October 16th for release of this SACD.

10. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Seriously, why do we need Hedges' Aerial Boundaries in SACD? I fully believe in supporting AF, but I think the original CD was well recorded and I won't be able to distinguish the two in blind hearing tests. Yes, I recognize others may be more discerning listeners -- go for it.

My slight disappointment is that there are so many other titles out there where 1) good sounding CDs are hard to find; or 2) non-existent. How about Uriah Heep, Salisbury? Trapeze, You are the Music . . ., CSNY, Deja Vu; Muntain, Mountain Climbing; Jeff Beck Group, Truth; The Guess Who, American Woman; James Gang, James Gang Rides Again . . . with mileage variation.

11. KeithH

From what I know (which isn't much), licensing Deja Vu is impossible due to Neil Young. Audio Fidelity is releasing a Jeff Beck Group SACD. Maybe more Jeff Beck SACDs will follow (though Analogue Productions has already announced SACDs of Blow by Blow and Wired). Audio Fidelity did release an SACD of The Best of The Guess Who.

Regarding Aerial Boundaries, while the original CD is very good, why assume you won't be able to hear a difference compared to the SACD? Many SACDs have bested good-sounding early CDs.

townsend likes this.
  12. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

It's funny. I was strolling thru the AF catalog (the vinyl section), and couldn't help noticing the randomness of the collection. The Scorpions Virgin Killer? 3 Sade albums? Really? Not to knock anyone's taste here, but they are pretty low on the totem pole in terms of licensing agreements, esp. compared to AP.

townsend likes this.
  13. KeithH

Analogue Productions has done a slew of SACDs of '50s and '60s jazz albums that I would say a lot of people aren't clamoring for these days. They've also released Joan Baez, Tony Bennett, and Harry Belafonte SACDs.

14. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Yes, but along with those, they have big releases such as SRV, Doors, Beach Boys, Miles Davis etc etc. Plus, they're preservation to historic jazz and classical records is highly commendable, esp considering that they are not, as you state, big sellers. But Virgin Killer? The bad 80s Clapton albums that flood the used bins? The Best of Bread? I'm not knocking their work, but these are hardly selections I'd pay 30 bucks for, much less anything at all.

Six String and Echo like this.
  15. I just got the vinyl, and I'm really happy with this Kevin Gray remaster. The sound is enormous and very detailed when turned up. Sounds like I remember Michael sounding in concert.

Gardo and Cardanken like this.
  16. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I'll take Virgin Killer, Sade and Aerial Boundaries ANY day over that list.

17. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Well, apparently AF is doing a Michael Hedges SACD since I just got invoiced for it as well as for Sly and the Family Stone.

18. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Does anyone else have any info about this SACD coming out soon?

19. KeithH

Well, bubba-ho-tep posted just above you that he has been invoiced for the disc by Audio Fidelity. That must mean it is shipping very soon. Meanwhile, amazon.com shows a release date of October 30th. Audio Fidelity will ship it before Amazon.

20. jonstatt

jonstatt Forum Resident

I have the vinyl version of this and have been blown away by the dynamics, clarity and detail. Absolutely jaw dropping stuff in my opinion. I went for the record of this because according to Fremer some of the tracks are AAA (e.g. analogue from recording to vinyl record). A mixture of recording techniques was used for the various tracks on this album. I still can't get over the dynamic range of this recording....sensational.

Gardo, driverdrummer and SergioRZ like this.
  21. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I have had this SACD in my collection for about a week now and I must say that it is a beautiful sounding disc. I had never heard of Michael Hedges before I received this disc, but I have played it several times in the last week. It is very beautiful music and the sonics of the SACD are superb. Kevin Gray did a fantastic job with this title.

Gardo, JediJoker, Cardanken and 3 others like this.
  22. KeithH

Good to know, Rocky. Thanks!

therockman likes this.
  23. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

October 16 release date (again) according to Amazon, this has always been a fine sounding recording. I am sure the SACD will be a treat.

24. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Same here. This was the first that I had heard of Michael Hedges. Last night was the first time I actually got to sit down with the new SACD and really listen. Beautiful stuff. I listened to the SACD twice in a row, which is something that I very rarely do.

25. The SACD came today. I already have the recent vinyl re-issue, but Michael Hedges was one of my four or five favorite artists ever. Simply had to have this. I know Aerial Boundaries forwards and backwards (and perform several of the songs on guitar when playing). Kevin Gray did a superb job on this.

Gardo, driverdrummer and Cardanken like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.