Moody Blues 2017 Reunion Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Om, Oct 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Om

Om Make Your Own Kind Of Music Thread Starter

There are talks of Hayward and Lodge trying to get Pinder and Thomas back for their 50th anniversary of Days of Future Passed. Pinder and Thomas might not agree to a tour but possibly a few shows. Just hopes and dreams for now but this is a huge step because up until now both Hayward and Lodge were not up for it either. We will see where this leads.

"The Moody Blues’ John Lodge is trying to arrange a return of co-founding members Ray Thomas and Mike Pinder to mark the 50th anniversary of iconic album Days Of Future Passed.

Thomas, who retired in 2002, has remained in touch with his former colleagues. Pinder, who left in 1978, hasn’t seen them in years, but hopes to meet up when the Moody Blues’ current tour takes them near his California home.

Lodge hints that the band could stage some kind of reenactment of the classic album – but admits the difficult part will be “finding a way of doing it without them having to tour.”

https://www.teamrock.com/news/2015-04-22/moody-blues-reunion-hope-ray-thomas-mike-pinder

2. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Coolness. As long as Ray's health issues don't interfere I would like it but I'd take a new album with all the guys and no concerts over..a concert or concerts. I'll take what they offer though.
    They are all still alive and that's a rarity for a 60's band these days.

bhazen, zelox, forthlin and 3 others like this.
  3. Lonesurf

Lonesurf Forum Resident

Thanks for this. I'm curious, but time, logistics and frayed relationships are tough to overcome. As long as all 5 are (relatively) healthy, who knows?

4. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

New Moodies album? Count me in! Throw in Pinder and Thomas and I'll put my money down now!

5. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Jeez, do we have to keep constantly enduring these geezer reunions because they didn't plan their retirements properly?

It's embarrassing.

6. Glenn Christense

I didn't see any qualifier that for this to happen you are forced to attend, or even post in this thread for that matter, if they bore you.

7. AppleCorp3

Because we care what you think. There are some folks that are excited about this.

What kind of person gets satisfaction from jumping into a topic they clearly don't care about to criticize those that do?

8. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Nothing in the story about their finances (which I assume is good all around) so I'll chalk your comment up to hyperbole :agree:

I adore the Moody Blues but I'd pony up to hear a complete live version of OCTAVE before I'd pay to sit through DOFP in its (sorry fans) largely Muzakky entirety, let alone pay what would no doubt be a high price to hear them do the same 14 songs the Pinderless band has been playing live since 1990 or so. Now a nice selection of deep tracks...that would be tempting.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  9. Carl Swanson

Point taken; I'm usually pretty good at controlling the impulse to jump into a thread whose title says I should steer clear.

10. AppleCorp3

Ugh - you have no idea how much I know what you mean!

Anyway - sorry for the tone...I missed these guys when they were in their prime (born in the 80s) so i get excited about this stuff because it's a way for me to experience it in some way.

11. Carl Swanson

No worries. Enjoy the show if you get to go.

MikaelaArsenault and AppleCorp3 like this.
  12. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I could care less about seeing them live. If they get back together for anything, it better be a studio album.

AppleCorp3 and Jet Age Eric like this.
  13. AppleCorp3

I want a new album too. Dexember was too good to not continue after.

BarneyRubble and tedg65 like this.
  14. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Replies like yours are typical and embarrassing as well.
    It's what they do. They're musicians. It's their job. One of their members retied in 2002. He's doing fine financially.
    It's not ALWAYS about the money, believe it or not. Some fans want to see this. If you don't- don't go.

Maranatha5585 and GodShifter like this.
  15. Carl Swanson

Read ahead. I walked it back.

16. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

You're right. You did. Sorry!
    My bad! I'm all grouchy tonight......

bluerondo and Jasonb like this.
  17. Carl Swanson

Me too, apparently. No worries.

Jasonb likes this.
  18. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

I've seen The Moodies twice, and I would gladly see them again, over and over and over. Fingers crossed.

keyXVII, MikaelaArsenault and Om like this.
  19. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

Were this to happen, t'would make my year. I never got to see the Moodies with Mike, back in the day ... Days Of Future Passed is a "desert island" disc for me.

My only concern would be how in shape Ray and Mike would be for such a project. Mike hasn't done a gig in decades, and Ray has been off for well over a decade; last I saw him, he was getting around quite painfully with a walking stick or cane.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  20. Glenn Christense

Let's see. The last time I saw them live was in October 1968 in a club.
    Well, I think I'll wait a few years and skip these shows if they do any. The last one I saw is still too fresh in my mind. :p

21. Glenn Christense

So Ray sits down and Mike can still play, it's not like he's a Jagger-esque frontman running around.:D

Still, I'll take a new album that includes all of them , and then they can stay home, and so can I.:p

22. Defrance

Defrance A Northern Soul

As a lifelong Moodies fan, this would be outstanding to see. Their best bet would probably be to stage 5 shows in London, then 5 shows in San Fran or LA a few weeks later, assuming Ray can travel.

I'd like to see them do two sets, with the first being DOFP, and the second an assortment of hits and album tracks from the Classic 7 only. As an idea, they could market one or two of the shows for "massive fans only" and have the second set be no hits and just deep album cuts. Boy, would I love to see them play "Watching & Waiting", "When You're A Free Man", "Out & In", and "The Actor".

MikaelaArsenault and Om like this.
  23. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

The logical West Coast gig would be in Seattle ...

Hey, it's where I live. :D

24. Om

Om Make Your Own Kind Of Music Thread Starter

Just to hear "Melencholoy Man", mellotron and all would melt my soul.

25. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

pinders been to recent gigs already when they played in no. cal earlier this year he totally was there i saw pics

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.