Bing Crosby Radio show from 60, 65, or 70 years ago this week !

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Pepper, Mar 4, 2014.

1. wvk3

wvk3 Senior Member

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  2. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry? Thread Starter

3. Dr. Pepper

4. Dr. Pepper

Bing Crosby Podcast 1950-10-25 (039) - Guest Claudette Colbert (Stacey & Mindi)

[​IMG]

No. 39 25th October 1950

Transcribed in San Francisco. Announced by Ken Carpenter. With Jud Conlon’s Rhythmaires and Claudette Colbert.

*Where The Blue Of The Night Opening Theme

*Life Is So Peculiar (a) with Rhythmaires

*Harbour Lights (b) with Rhythmaires & Ziggy Elman (Cornet)

Comedy Dialogue Bing Crosby & Claudette Colbert

‘Triplets’ Sketch (c) Bing Crosby, Claudette Colbert, Joe Venuti & Ken Carpenter

*La Vie En Rose (d) with Joe Venuti (Violin)

*Mona Lisa (e)

Where The Blue Of The Night Closing Theme

5. Dr. Pepper

Bing Crosby Podcast 1950-11-01 (040) - Dorothy Kirsten (Stacey & Mindi)

No. 40 1st November 1950

Transcribed in San Francisco. Announced by Ken Carpenter. With Jud Conlon’s Rhythmaires and Dorothy Kirsten.

*Looks Like A Cold, Cold Winter (a) with Rhythmaires

*All My Love (b) with Rhythmaires

Comedy Dialogue Bing Crosby & Dorothy Kirsten

Ouvre Ton Coeur (Bizet) Dorothy Kirsten

*Let’s Do It Again with Rhythmaires

*Accidents Will Happen (c) with Dorothy Kirsten

*Indian Summer (d) with Dorothy Kirsten

*Beyond The Reef (e) with Rhythmaires featuring Loulie Jean Norman & Danny Stewart (Hawaiian Guitar)

6. Dr. Pepper

Bing Crosby Podcast 1950-11-08 (041) Guest Dick Powell (Stacey & Mindi)

No. 41 8th November 1950 (a)

Transcribed in San Francisco. Announced by Ken Carpenter. With Jud Conlon’s Rhythmaires and Dick Powell.

*Life Is So Peculiar (b) with Rhythmaires

*Harbour Lights (c) with Rhythmaires & Ziggy Elman (Cornet)

Comedy Dialogue Bing Crosby & Dick Powell

*Play A Simple Melody (d) with Dick Powell

Medley:

*I Only Have Eyes For You with Dick Powell

*You Must Have Been A Beautiful Baby (e) with Dick Powell

*Jeepers Creepers (f) with Dick Powell & Buddy Cole (Piano)

*Lullaby Of Broadway (g) with Dick Powell & Rhythmaires

*Thanks A Million with Dick Powell

*Autumn Leaves (h) Bing Crosby

7. Dr. Pepper

Bing Crosby Podcast 1950-11-15 (042) Guests Bob Crosby, Toni Arden (Stacey & Mindi)
    No. 42 15th November 1950 (a)

Transcribed in San Francisco. Announced by Ken Carpenter. With Jud Conlon’s Rhythmaires, Toni Arden and Bob Crosby.

*Silver Bells (b) with Toni Arden

La Vie En Rose (c) Toni Arden

Comedy Dialogue Bing Crosby & Bob Crosby

*Let’s Do It Again (d) with Bob Crosby

*Beyond The Reef (e) with Rhythmaires featuring Loulie Jean Norman & Danny Stewart (Hawaiian Guitar)

This is undoubtedly the programme in which Al Jolson was scheduled to appear when he died on the 23rd October, at the St. Francis Hotel in San Francisco, a few hours before the show was due to be recorded.

“Crosby, Cantor Shows To Salute Al Jolson” (Headline)

“On the show to have been taped with Bing Crosby tonight, (24th), Al Jolson was to be paid high tribute for his recent Korean trip. Jolson was to have dueted with Crosby in a medley of Jolson hits, with Joly also to have soloed ‘Japanese Sandman’. Tonight’s taping was cancelled by Crosby and will be done Friday or Saturday instead. Writer and co-producer said a tribute will be paid to Jolson and it is likely that the musical portion will comprise songs identified with the Mammy singer.”

(“Variety” 25th October 1950)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  8. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Good stuff. Thank you Dr. Pepper!

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  9. Dr. Pepper

You are so welcome! As the late Al Jolson might have said, "You ain't seen nothin' yet!" In the next couple of months Bing will have as guests Bob Hope, Ella Fitzgerald, Judy Garland, Fred Astaire, Nat King Cole, Louie Armstrong, Dinah Shore, Jimmy Stewart, and many others. This just may be Bing's greatest season ever! Radio was still trying to beat TV in quality and , radio killer "I Love Lucy" was still over a year away!

Mr. H likes this.
  10. Dr. Pepper

Bing Crosby Podcast 1950-11-22 (043) Guest Paul Douglas (Stacey)

No. 43 22nd November 1950

Transcribed in San Francisco. Announced by Ken Carpenter. With Jud Conlon’s Rhythmaires and Paul Douglas.

*Mele Kalikimaka (a) with Rhythmaires

*Accidents Will Happen (b)

*All My Love (c) with Rhythmaires

Comedy Dialogue (d) Bing Crosby & Paul Douglas

*Nevertheless (e) with Rhythmaires

*That Christmas Feeling (f) with Rhythmaires

Where The Blue Of The Night (g) Closing Theme

Mr. H likes this.
  11. Dr. Pepper

Bing Crosby Podcast 1946-11-27 Guest Judy Garland - Thanksgiving Show (Stacey & Mindi)

No. 7 27th November 1946 (a)

Transcribed in Hollywood (11th & 13th November 1946). Announced by Ken Carpenter. With Chorus, The Charioteers, Skitch Henderson, The Les Paul Trio and Judy Garland.

*Ol’ Buttermilk Sky (b) with Chorus

*Gotta Get Me Somebody To Love (c) with The Les Paul Trio

I’ve Got You Under My Skin Skitch Henderson (Piano)

Comedy Dialogue Bing Crosby & Judy Garland

Liza Judy Garland

‘Wild Turkey Hunt’ Sketch (d) Bing Crosby, Judy Garland, Ken Carpenter & Skitch Henderson

*Wait Till The Sun Shines, Nellie (e) with Judy Garland

*All By Myself (f) with Skitch Henderson (Piano)

*You Keep Coming Back Like A Song (g) with Chorus

*Where The Blue Of The Night (h) Closing Theme

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    wvk3, Mr. H and JAG like this.
  12. Dr. Pepper

65 years ago today! Oh, and we have started our new season, do folks want me to keep posting?

Bing Crosby Classic Podcast 1951-10-17 (077) - Bob Hope and Martha Tilton | Comedy Podcasts | PodOmatic »

[​IMG]

No. 77 17th October 1951

Transcribed in Hollywood. Announced by Ken Carpenter. With Jud Conlon’s Rhythmaires, Martha Tilton and Bob Hope.

*Chesterfield Jingle with Rhythmaires

*Bright Eyes (a) with Rhythmaires

*Hello, Young Lovers (b)

Painting The Clouds With Sunshine Martha Tilton with Rhythmaires

Comedy Dialogue (c) Bing Crosby & Bob Hope

*Sweet Violets (d) with Bob Hope & Rhythmaires

*Chesterfield Jingle with Bob Hope & Rhythmaires

*The Morning Side Of The Mountain with Rhythmaires

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    wvk3, MichaelM, JAG and 1 other person like this.
  13. wvk3

wvk3 Senior Member

Yes, please! Thank you!

Dr. Pepper, drbeachboy and Bob F like this.
  14. MarkAJ

MarkAJ Forum Resident

These posts are very cool. Thank you, and please keep 'em coming!

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  15. Dr. Pepper

Alrighty!

Bing Crosby Classic Podcast 1946-10-16 Guest Bob Hope | Comedy Podcasts | PodOmatic »

No. 1 16th October 1946 (a)

Transcribed in Hollywood (18th/19th September 1946). Announced by Ken Carpenter. With Chorus, Lina Romay, The Charioteers, Skitch Henderson and Bob Hope.

*Where The Blue Of The Night (b) Opening Theme

*I Got The Sun In The Morning (c) with Chorus

*Moonlight Bay (d) with The Charioteers

Turkey In The Straw Skitch Henderson (Piano)

Comedy Dialogue Bing Crosby & Bob Hope

*Put It There Pal (e) with Bob Hope

Comedy Dialogue Bing Crosby & Bob Hope

Love On A Greyhound Bus Lina Romay

Philco Commercial (f) Bing Crosby & Ken Carpenter

*Cynthia’s In Love (g) with Skitch Henderson (Piano)

*Where The Blue Of The Night (h) Closing Theme

Notes:

(a) The complete programme was issued on Totem LP1002 - “Bing Is Back” AND on

Radiospirits 40062 (6-CD set) “On The Road Again”

(b) Bing sings only the first two lines, commencing “When (sic) the blue of the night”. This deliberate alteration sets the pattern for the series and is used, almost exclusively, throughout.

Commercial Recordings 23.11.31; 20.7.40; 17.7.45 & 21.4.54. (As this title will appear on every page, no further reference will be made to these commercial issue dates).

(c) Windmill WMD260 - “ Bing Crosby - Favourite Melodies”

Musidisc 30CV1356 - “Bing Crosby - His Greatest Hits”

HRB Music BCP1001 - “Bing Crosby And Friends”

Japanese MCA9301 - “Bing Crosby Radio Show”

Precision Records & Tapes NCP710 - “Bing Crosby - The Radio Years Volume 3”

GNP Crescendo GNPD9052 (CD) - “Bing Crosby - The Radio Years”

Intertape 500.027 (CD) - “Bing Crosby”

Sepia 1053 (CD) – “Bing Crosby Meets Al Jolson – The Complete Radio Duets”

Bing Crosby Enterprises CD: "Bing Sings The Irving Berlin Songbook"

(d) Windmill WMD260 - “Bing Crosby - Favourite Melodies”

Musidisc 30CV1356 - “Bing Crosby - His Greatest Hits”

On The Air OTA101978 (CD) - “Great Moments With Bing Crosby And Friends From The

Radio Shows”

Jasmine JASCD 357/8 (CD) – “Bob Hope & Friends – Put It There Pal”

Jasmine CD JASCD 714 "Swing Low, Sweet Charioteers"

Commercial Recording 22.3.51

(e) Commercial Recording 8.12.44 (Lyrics differ from commercial issue. Some lines are lost in this version due to a ‘fluff’ by Bob Hope).

(f) Worth noting, as a non-event. Bing decides that there is insufficient time for the commercial and tears up the script to the obvious delight of the studio audience.

(g) Windmill WMD260 - “Bing Crosby - Favourite Melodies” (Shewn as “My Cynthia’s In Love”)

Musidisc 30CV1356 - “Bing Crosby - His Greatest Hits” (Shewn as “My Sin Is In Love”)

(h) Bing whistles a few bars only, on fade-out.

“Crosby’s Clicko Wax Radio Network - Debut For Philco History Making” (Front Page Headline)

“The Bing Crosby disc show for Philco, probably the most publicised debut on record, hit the air lanes via ABC and a flock of Indie Stations last Wednesday (16th) and make no mistake about it, it’ll go down in industry annals as a precedent shattering event. The long awaited ‘wax in your ears’ debut is fraught with significant undertones and overtones. The implications from a standpoint of radio entertainment are as far reaching as anything to hit show business since the advent of talking pictures. The boys who have long contended that it would take no less a personality than the Groaner (and Philco and the dealers backed them up with one of the top coin investments in radio sponsorship) to cue a whole new pattern in broadcasting which would invite a mass exodus of radio’s top headliners from live broadcasting to transcribed shows have even a more solid base for argument, today. For on the basis of Crosby’s initial show and it was a honey, you can’t minimise the importance of that argument and what it might well do to bring about an entire new change in NBC and CBS policy, regarding their present ban on transcriptions.

Once the switch-over of top names from live to transcribed shows gets under way and that’s inevitable, the NBC/CBS brass, rather than risk the loss of their star-studded rosters will have no other recourse but to let down the bars. Today, they still say it won’t happen but get a flock of wax shows under their belt that will pitch in the same high register as last week’s opener and they’ll be singing a different tune. Crosby proved it can be done. It was argued that wrapping up the transcribed show would strip it of the spontaneity that an on the spot performance before a live studio audience invites. Also, the ad-lib quality and the off the cuff bantering that made Crosby’s Kraft Music Hall semester one of radio’s real boffs would be lost forever. Through the simple expedient of waxing his shows before an audience, Crosby has invalidated these claims and you can match Philco’s Number One on the Crosby Disc parade with any of the live shows he’s done in the past and that goes for the spontaneity and the ad-libbing and the overall free play on the banter which only leaves us a possible pitfall, the element of timeliness and topical slant. A sufficient reserve of substitute transcriptions could be the obvious solution.

The pay off on the Philco premiere was that without the tag-line revealing the transcription auspices, this might just as well have been done live, thus accenting the Groaner’s own claims as to the multiple advantages of “going platter” i.e. you can eliminate ‘muffs’ via re-takes similar to pix, you could spot your show at the most advantageous time and it virtually solves the problem of wrapping up guest talent. As one of radio’s top coin packages, the Philco half-hour is solid showmanship but that not only goes for Crosby but in the permanent cast line-up, including Lina Romay, The Charioteers, Skitch Henderson and John Scott Trotter and his Orchestra, as well as the overall production under the strict ‘pro wand’ of Bill Morrow and Murdo McKenzie and the scripting contribution of Morrow, Jack Benny’s ex-writer Al Lewis and Larry Clemens. Show business, in general had its ear tuned to this new Crosby show, in view of distributing reports that the Groaner’s voice ain’t what it used to be, however the Crosby three-way vocalising of, “Sun In The Morning”, “Moonlight Bay” with The Charioteers and Orchestra and “Cynthia’s In Love” with Skitch Henderson and the band should put a quietus on the rumour mill. If there is any deterioration in the groaning department, it wasn’t audible.

Last Wednesday’s show format adhered pretty closely to the Kraft Music Hall lay-out where principal emphasis on the vocal, with the glib Crosby cross-firing. The Trotter Orchestra and The Charioteers have moved over from KMH along with Der Bingle. Spotting of Bob Hope as the guest star on the getaway show was a natural with the two ‘B’s’ slugging it out in their now, standard needling routine and chirping a novelty tune, “Put It There Pal” to accent their Pittsburgh Pirates versus Cleveland Indians baseball ownership rivalry. Ken Carpenter does the announcer chores - he’s as smooth as ever, both on script, continuity and the sales pitch. The Philco commercials weren’t commercials as such. The plugs were so inoffensively integrated, so sparsely used, as to make them an innovation. The Jimmy Carmine welcome of Crosby to the World’s largest radio audience on behalf of Philco was a blending of commercial copy with showmanship. The rating on the new Crosby show will be watched closely. It will have a lot to do with charting radio’s new pattern.”

(“Variety” 23rd October 1946)

JAG likes this.
  16. AlecA

AlecA Forum Resident

Just stumbled upon this. Listening to Bing & Peggy Lee & Louis & Jack Teagarden!

Many thanks. I need to download a bunch of these and listen to them during my hour-each-way commute.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  17. Dr. Pepper

These will be perfect for you! The shows really grow on you and the sound quality is astounding for how old these shows are. The guest star list is amazing from Bob Hope to Judy Garland to Louis Armstrong to Jimmy Stewart, Stars of stage, screen, and music all stop by to spend time with the Bingster! I'll post some of my other shows that you should give a listen to as well, like the Jack Benny Show and The Phil Harris and Alice Faye Show. Enjoy.

18. Dr. Pepper

19. Dr. Pepper

70 years ago this week!

Bing Crosby Podcast 1946-10-23 Guest Spike Jones | Comedy Podcasts | PodOmatic »

[​IMG]

No. 2 23rd October 1946 (a)

Transcribed in Hollywood (19th September 1946). Announced by Ken Carpenter. With Chorus, Lina Romay, The Charioteers, Skitch Henderson and Spike Jones & his City Slickers.

*My Heart Goes Crazy (b) with Chorus

Hawaiian War Chant Spike Jones & his City Slickers

Comedy Dialogue Bing Crosby & Spike Jones

*Love In Bloom (c) with Spike Jones & his City Slickers and Chorus

Fascinating Rhythm Skitch Henderson (Piano)

Little Surplus Me Lina Romay

*All By Myself (d) with Skitch Henderson (Piano)

On The Boardwalk In Atlantic City (e) The Charioteers

*The Things We Did Last Summer (f)

the sands and JAG like this.
  20. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

These are so wonderful!:love:

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  21. Dr. Pepper

I know, right!

22. Dr. Pepper

Bing Crosby Podcast 1946-10-30 Guests The Les Paul Trio and 1951-10-31 (079) Guest Dinah Shore
    [​IMG]
    No. 3 30th October 1946

Transcribed in Hollywood. Announced by Ken Carpenter. With Chorus, Lina Romay, The Charioteers, Skitch Henderson and The Les Paul Trio.

*I Got The Sun In The Morning with Chorus

The Piccolino Skitch Henderson (Piano)

*South America, Take It Away (a) with Lina Romay

Comedy Dialogue Bing Crosby, Lina Romay & Skitch Henderson

How High The Moon T he Les Paul Trio

*You Are Too Beautiful (b) with Skitch Henderson (Piano)

Bye And Bye When The Morning Comes The Charioteers

*(Get Your Kicks On) Route 66 (c) with Chorus

*Blue Skies (d) with Les Paul (Guitar)

*Where The Blue Of The Night (e) Closing Theme

[​IMG]
    No. 79 31st October 1951

Transcribed in Hollywood. Announced by Ken Carpenter. With Jud Conlon’s Rhythmaires and Dinah Shore.

*Painting The Clouds With Sunshine (a) with Rhythmaires

*A Kiss To Build A Dream On (b)

Comedy Dialogue Bing Crosby & Dinah Shore

I Only Have Eyes For You Dinah Shore

‘The Gambler’s Downfall’ Sketch (c) Bing Crosby, Dinah Shore &Ken Carpenter

*Swanee River (The Old Folks At Home) (d) with Dinah Shore

*Chesterfield Jingle with Dinah Shore & Rhythmaires

*The Morning Side Of The Mountain with Rhythmaires

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
    paulmock and JAG like this.
  23. Dr. Pepper

Bing Crosby Podcast 1951-11-07 (80) Guests Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis and Martin & Lewis Show 1951-10-19 (043) Guest Bing Crosby

[​IMG]
    No. 80 7th November 1951

Transcribed in Hollywood. Announced by Ken Carpenter. With Jud Conlon’s Rhythmaires, Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis.

*Misto Cristofo Columbo (a) with Rhythmaires

*A Kiss To Build A Dream On (b)

Comedy Dialogue (c) Bing Crosby, Dean Martin, Jerry Lewis& Ken Carpenter

‘Road To The South Seas’ Sketch (d) Bing Crosby, Dean Martin, Jerry Lewis& Ken Carpenter

*Sweet Leilani ( e) with Dean Martin

*Hawaiian War Chant (f) with Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis

*In The Cool, Cool, Cool Of The Evening (g) with Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis

*Chesterfield Jingle with Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis &Rhythmaires

*Just One More Chance (h)

24. Dr. Pepper

Bing Crosby Podcast 1951-11-14 (081) Guest - Jimmy Stewart (Stacey) - 65 years ago this week!

[​IMG]
    No. 81 14th November 1951

Transcribed in Hollywood on November 7, 1951. Announced by Ken Carpenter. With Jud Conlon’s Rhythmaires, Anna Maria Alberghetti and James Stewart.

*Bright Eyes (a) with Rhythmaires

*(Ah! The Apple Trees) When The World Was Young (b)

La Capinera (The Wren) Anna Maria Alberghetti (Phil Shukin- Flute)

Comedy Dialogue Bing Crosby & James Stewart

‘Gloria’s Present’ Sketch (c) Bing Crosby & James Stewart

*America The Beautiful (d) with Anna Maria Alberghetti

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  25. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

two of my favorite entertainers