Who else dislikes iTunes?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by vinyl13, Oct 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinyl13

vinyl13 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Me and I'm sure many others have come to dislike iTunes. Whats you opinion?

MikaelaArsenault and snowman872 like this.
  2. SF Georgie

SF Georgie Forum Resident

Player: no
    Transfer: no
    Store: no
    It's far from convenient, yet the casuals won't really complain & the ones who care end up using it anyways most of the time.

3. Muddy

Muddy Large Member

Awful.

Apple's evil app.

Hattipper, Sean, melstapler and 6 others like this.
  4. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

It's a pain, but it's all I know and my entire cd collection is there now, so I just grin and bear it.

5. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

I don't use it to play music, but for organizing, tagging, smart playlists, tracking play counts and dates (syncing between iPhone and AppleTV), it is great.

dbone828, tedg65, SteveS1 and 6 others like this.
  6. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member

I've been a Mac user for over twenty years and have never used it, other than to listen to some of the internet radio they offered about ten years ago. I don't recall using it at all since I purchased my 07 iMac.

7. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

iTunes is like Democracy. Awful except for the more awful alternatives.

8. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I only use it on my iPad but I tried it on my p.c. years ago before I owned an Apple productand I didn't like it then.
    So I don't bother with it much as I don't use the iPad for a serious music source. I have a few things I've bought from the store that were either hard to come by otherwise (Ryan Adams tracks) or a weak moment (Keith Jarrett's Somewhere).
    It's really inconsequential in my life.

9. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

Foobar is better than iTunes ever has been or will be

And to answer the original question: I used iTunes more during the 3-month Apple Music trial period than I had in the previous ~15 years combined. At the conclusion of the trial period, I promptly went back to not using iTunes.

10. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I dislike the coercion factor. I use it for the sole purpose of putting music on my iPhone, and not for a single damned other purpose.

Prophetzong, 2141, duggan and 16 others like this.
  11. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

It has been known to wipe my whole collection. Haven't used it since it last did that. Don't know if they've changed how it works. I wipe my pc and reinstall all software every few months to keep it running fast. I don't think Apple planned on that. All of a sudden it thinks it's someone else's computer so won't let me get my music back. Never bought music from Apple anyway. Originally used it just to import my music collection before transferring to iPhone. Why can't I just copy and paste like Android?

12. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Drag & drop would be a wonderful alternative.

CBC, goodiesguy, Chip Z and 4 others like this.
  13. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I haven't really had too many issues with it. They've removed some features that I wish they hadn't though.

14. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I think this thread is set up poorly. Your headline is "Who else dislikes iTunes?" But then your survey question is "Do you like iTunes?" I got to imagine a lot of folks will answer based on the headline question.

15. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I'm not voting, because I've got a feeling that this poll is going to end up pretty one-sided without my help, but sure it's a piece of software that is just hopelessly inefficient. There's no way that every other function of iTunes should be locked up when it's ripping, and I'm running it on a 2012 iMac, so grunt or hardware can't be the problem. Also, why no sort function for year, so that you can have both recording and reissue dates on a file? There are loads of problems with it basically; I'm boring myself even starting to think about it.

But ... no one seems interested in competing with it meaningfully. If your main opposition is Foobar, why would you bother to make it any better?

16. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Was going to say the same thing.

I'll admit, I've bought into the apple/iTunes ecosystem. iTunes could be more customizable, but it is very functional once you learn your way around it. The integration with my phone and also with my home stereo system is extremely convenient.

17. SteveS1

SteveS1 Forum Resident

This.

18. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

So what do you use to play, if you use iTunes to organize your files?

19. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I've used it for 10 years. It's far from perfect but I've never felt the need to change.

Smart Playlists were the big game changer for me, fantastic invention (whether it was Apple who invented them or not, I neither know nor care).

Nick Dunning and JimC like this.
  20. motionoftheocean

virtually every device save for my desktop computer is an Apple device. I use iTunes for literally nothing.

21. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

good thread, its the worst software I have seen, puts me off buying a Mac.

klockwerk and Rhett like this.
  22. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I hate it but I use it only for purchasing the occasional album or if I need to do maintenance work on my iPhone. I'm running an i7 water cooled quad core with 8 gigs of RAM on an SSD and iTunes still struggles to operate in a timely fashion. It is so slow it's borderline unusable.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  23. motionoftheocean

you don't need to use iTunes on a Mac at all

motownboy likes this.
  24. Tyler Chastain

Tyler Chastain Forum Resident

Foobar, Mediamonkey and Musicbee are all viable alternatives to iTunes. At least on windows. I don't know what's available for Mac or Linux.

Musicbee converts my FLACs to ALAC (during synchronization) to use on my iPod. Can iTunes handle FLAC at all? Nope.

Max Florian and klockwerk like this.
  25. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

itunes is garbage and the reason I'll never buy another Apple product again.

To read more, please update your system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.