Is DVD Audio dead?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ocd1, Nov 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ocd1

ocd1 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have a few discs and an Oppo universal player, but I haven't seen a new title in quite a long while. I'm figuring it's either pronounced dead or on life support. Too bad. The discs I have sound very good to me.

2. GEK

GEK Still Rockin

The Wilson remixes of Yes and Tull are available on DVD.

PhilBiker, sound chaser and gkella like this.
  3. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

No, it just smells funny. :)

4. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

King Crimson reissues still come out in DVD-A.

dlokazip, PhilBiker and sound chaser like this.
  5. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Pretty much. But you have an Oppo, you've also got Blu-Ray Audio.

klockwerk and tmtomh like this.
  6. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

I think that the new Fleetwood Mac 5.1 version of Tusk, part of the Deluxe package, is DVD-Audio.

mdm08033 likes this.
  7. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

XTC Wilson remix dumped the DVD-A option for Oranges & Lemons, so only out in Blu Ray. I consider it on life support if it is in fact not dead.

tmtomh, dennis the menace and scobb like this.
  8. rhubarb9999

rhubarb9999 Forum Resident

There is software that will burn DVD-A if you rip the files from DVD, BluRay, DTS, or SACD. I do this to get 5.1 in my car.

Bingo Bongo, Drifter, tmtomh and 2 others like this.
  9. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

For me I use DVD-A almost daily. I burn all my hi-rez purchases to DVD-A to play in my car player and occasionally on my Oppo 105D, though it's usually much easier to bring it up on my squeezebox touch.

Drifter and rbbert like this.
  10. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Still alive and well.

sound chaser likes this.
  11. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Even more of a niche than it once was, and there are fewer titles released in this format than SACD. In addition to the previously mentioned titles, the ELP reissues were released on DVD-A.

12. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

As long as I have my Oppo, it is alive.

klockwerk, chili555, tmtomh and 3 others like this.
  13. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It's DVD-A that is being discussed and not simply DVD. A different format that Wilson's remixes do not always appear on, notably "Thick as a Brick".

(Edit) it is in fact just DVD that the OP mentions, I stand corrected.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
    scobb likes this.
  14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I've read that it's not in the DVD-A or DVD-Audio format. It will be in the DVD-V format. A different flavor of DVD for sure sadly.

15. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

It's resting, it's pining for the Fjords!

klockwerk, cadeallaw, krisbee and 3 others like this.
  16. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It appears to me the at all these disc formats are fading from being major media formats and all are kept going by a small cult audience of a couple million people tops.

sunspot42, tmtomh and Brother_Rael like this.
  17. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

I have a correct PS3, and I've regularly used it to extract and make use of 2-channel DSD and 2-channel conversions to wave/flac. There is a possibility I will be acquiring a car that supports multi-channel DVD-A playback, and it'd be pretty cool if I could transform multi-channel DSD to multi-channel DVD-A. Would you mind posting your software chain that can support this? I'd really appreciate it, thanks.

18. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Thanks for the clarification... that's too bad.

19. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

What a shame.......lossless 5.1 would have been great on DVD-A or BD.......even an official download.

They really missed the boat badly on this one.........DVD is so..............nineties!!!!!!!!

Hopefully it's at least DTS audio......... and even more hopefully........full bit rate.

20. rhubarb9999

I use DVD Audio Extractor to pull anything off DVD and BR. I don't do the SACD extractions myself, I have a friend with the PS3 .. I just give him my discs and I get back 5.1 WAV or FLAC files. I will ask what he uses to do it. My car will only play 44.1/16 so I make sure the files are at the proper sample rate before burning them.

I then use Cirlinca HD-Audio Solo Ultra to burn the DVD-A. Cirlinca also supports VST plugins and comes with a stereo ->5.1 converter. I find that for live recordings it does a really good job moving the audience and room reflections to the back .. really creates a sense of the live space.

darkmass likes this.
  21. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

Has this been confirmed? Last I heard it was speculation.

22. rhubarb9999

23. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

With your comment, your avsforum link and a little bit of additional investigation, I've learned a lot about how to convert multi-channel DSD to multi-channel DVD-A. Thank you.

It seems I already have most all that I need. A most important part of the puzzle is that foobar2000 is able to convert multi-channel DSD (I use .dsf format files produced from iso's by the free "iso2dsd" application) to multichannel wave/flac. Although not a necessary part of things, I then use Sound Forge Pro 11 for viewing the multi-channel PCM conversion results and as a way to convert foobar 176.4k/24 5.1 to 96k/16 5.1 to fit uncompressed DVD-A standards.

The one problem I have yet to resolve seems to be a result of trying to make a DVD-A with my copy of Cirlinca rev. 4.4 of DVD Audio Solo. (I purchased the DVD Audio Solo last year to make high-rez 96k/24 stereo DVD-V format discs, and it works well for that.) I use DVD Audio Extractor to extract the Cirlinca multi-channel output results and view once more with Sound Forge Pro, and the tracks I get out are not the same ones I put in. The output track count is correct, but the output tracks look, and sound like, "blended" versions of the input tracks. As examples, the original 5.1 center channel and the original 5.1 LFE channel no longer appear as before...they are merged into left and right channels, and for that matter the output center and LFE channels are also blended tracks. Maybe it's kind of a Dolby Digital 5.1 effect.

The same thing happens to the output if I import a multi-channel file as a single file in Cirlinca, or if I break the original 5.1 file into six mono files and use the file naming scheme Cirlinca advises.

For now I'm assuming that Cirlinca HD-Audio Solo Ultra is better behaved, and I'll try that once I e-mail Cirlinca and see if I can get upgrade pricing. Should HD-Audio Solo Ultra work, I'll be home free. If HD-Solo Ultra also modifies my 5.1 channels I'll see if I can track down some other DVD-A authoring package...one of the Minnetonka discWelders might work.

24. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

IMO, the best use of the format.

klockwerk and gd0 like this.
  25. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I thought that the DVD-V format does not support 24/96 LPCM? Or are you planning exactly that, but will have an out of spec disc - which is cool too if it works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.