• Lindsey Buckingham Interview: His Life & Music •

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by segue, Oct 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member Thread Starter

Possibly the best interview he's done regarding his life of music.

Recorded May 26, 2015 - (1 hr 45 min)

Lindsey Buckingham shares his life in music at USC as part of Professor David Belasco's series, The Leap:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  2. julotto

julotto Forum Resident

Thank you ... and it's Lindsey with an E.:tsk:

3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

confess i did not listen:

does he mention buckingham-nicks?

4. segue

yes, it's a great interview...

[​IMG]

5. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Around the 15 minute mark.

steelinYaThighs likes this.
  6. Thanks for posting. Enjoyed it very much. Great to hear these young students' love for Fleetwood Mac's music.

7. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I did not see this yet.

However, I did see him on "The Big Interview" with Dan Rather on AXS that I thought was good. Just thought I would mention it to anyone interested.

Rickchick likes this.
  8. Cloudbuster

Cloudbuster Forum Resident

I watched this a couple of months ago. Great stuff.

9. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Simply a genius. After Richard Thompson, my favorite guitarist of the past 40 years. Thanks for posting this!

SuntoryTime and ralph7109 like this.
  10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Cool. Lindsey rules! I love him so much.

11. Lynd8

Lynd8 Forum Resident

Thanks for pointing this out!

12. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Just look at any pictures of Stevie and Lindsey from the last 20 years. It is rare to see two people who are so clearly comfortable with each other and love each other (regardless of their relationship status).

Fullbug likes this.
  13. PacificOceanBlue

He is enormously talented. The interview was fun to watch.

14. 007james

007james Forum Resident

Funny, i watched the interview but did not remember posting, now i see why.....

BeatlesBop likes this.
  15. segue

Genius for sure. Interesting how he now differentiates Fleetwood Mac work with his solo work. The TUSK info was great. The acoustic guitar in "Never Going Back" is always a treat.

16. segue

He mentions at the beginning of the film that Christine McVie had a challenging time after leaving the band, ending a relationship, sold her house, moved out of LA & back to the English countryside and "wiped her slate clean." He kind of chastises her for possibly having sold her publishing! That is the first time I've heard that, and, as he says that's a BIG NO NO.

Fullbug likes this.
  17. PacificOceanBlue

Mick Fleetwood also mentioned in his recent autobiography that Christine McVie did "wipe her slate clean" (obviously not in those same words) when she left the band (don't recall if he brought up the publishing scenario). She wouldn't be the first artist with a lucrative song catalogue to ultimately sell the publishing. It is interesting because the perception is the publishing generally continues to grow in value over time, yet, certain artists decide for whatever reason to cash out. Even Pete Townshend sold his publishing fairly recently (talk about a lucrative catalogue).

18. segue

19. PacificOceanBlue

While a highly regarded catalogue of songs generally will increase in value over time, unless an artist is able to borrow against it, the value mostly remains on paper with the artist enjoying royalty payments from it (and often large annual income). It isn't surprising someone like Townshend nearing 70 wants to cash it out.

20. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

One hour and 45 minutes - ouch. Cliff notes anyone?

Bookmarked.

21. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

There's also the issue of diminishing returns for certain artists as they grow older. In Christine's case, having no children to pass such a gift directly onto, maybe it's not that big a deal by her way of seeing things. And of course, a bird in the hand generally trumps two in the bush. :p

22. DVEric

DVEric Satirical Intellectual

:biglaugh: -- his ego/vanity was even bigger than that obnoxious hair cut. Father Time has made him a bit more humble, but for the longest time he was the sole subject of his masturbatory fantasies.

23. DVEric

DVEric Satirical Intellectual

For this guy, 1 hour 45 minutes is the Cliff notes.

24. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

Wow, anything over 30 minutes often qualifies these days. Thanks for offering up nothing hotshot.

Turmatic and voicebug like this.
  25. NotebookWriter

NotebookWriter Forum Resident

Thanks for posting this, OP. I always welcome the chance to see someone whose music I admire speak at length. If it seems like too much to bite off, you don't have to watch it all in one sitting.

I thought the most revealing moment was when someone from the audience asked him about his motivation for Tusk. I'm paraphrasing, but he explained that, while some of the others had their own identities within the band, he was still searching for his. Perhaps what he was really saying is that, although his fingerprints were all over the previous two albums, the public didn't necessarily think about him when they thought of Fleetwood Mac. He wanted more recognition.

On S/T and Rumours, there was more of a songwriting balance. On Tusk, almost half the songs were Buckingham's. So it's only natural that he took the brunt of the criticism. I agree that Mirage and Tango in the Night were more craftsmanlike but not as artistically significant.

Another fact that seems to get lost in a lot of Tusk discussions is that, other than the title track, a lot of attention was given to songs from other members. Aside from Tusk, the other two tracks I remember hearing on the radio were Sara and Sisters of the Moon. Stevie's and Christine's contributions are strong and accessible. I suppose you could complain that their conventional songs sound out of place among Lindsey's more left-of-center songs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.