Alanis Morissette- Jagged Little Pill 20th Anniversary 2-disc and 4-disc editions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Mar 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. camgrant84

camgrant84 Member

Hi there,

I've been reading the forums for the past few months but haven't posted before now.

It was me who uploaded the DR results for the HDTracks 24/192.

I can assure you they're correct. By ear it sounds fantastic compared to the original release.

Re different masterings - the 2015 Van Halen releases have different masterings. The CDs and 24/96 versions are very loud whereas the vinyl and 24/192 versions are very dynamic.

I've also uploaded the 24/192 versions of the acoustic album and Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie (both of which have great dynamic range) for anyone who's interested.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
    skateaway and c-eling like this.
  2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Thanks Cam for the DR on 'Supposed' , noticed that this morning

3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

Alanis looking amazing in 1996. :love:

thestereofan and aseriesofsneaks like this.
  4. camgrant84

camgrant84 Member

5. skateaway

skateaway Forum Resident

Thanks! I had already ordered the CDs, which hopefully will arrive today or tomorrow and am now tempted to get the HDTracks version to do a comparison.

6. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

What's strange is this isn't true 192/24. There is a disclaimer stating it's up sampled from 44.1hz. i would be shocked if there was a different master with this being the case. That being said, I have the new cd box set and will be glad to send you a track for comparison. I wouldn't expect there to be a significant difference. There was no way I was paying for the high res version of the box set on top of the physical box set knowing it was up sampled material.

7. skateaway

skateaway Forum Resident

This is exactly what I thought but my curiosity got the better of me and I have now downloaded the HDTracks 24/192 which I would normally never do for what is just a 44.1 up-sampled version. I have just run the TT DR meter over it and it corresponds with what cam posted, the peak levels and DR are wildly different to the CD - if my info on the CD is correct. It is midday Monday here and I'm hoping my ordered CD arrives this afternoon so I can compare them in a listening session tonight and see if they are indeed different.

8. camgrant84

camgrant84 Member

Glad to hear my results were right...

I ran a couple of other albums just to make sure my results matched those in the database.. which they did.

I'd be interested to know which version you prefer once your CD arrives.

9. skateaway

skateaway Forum Resident

OK, my CDs have arrived and I couldn't help myself - I started doing a quick comparison straight away :D

My previous go to copy of this album is a 1995 vinyl rip, I played the first three tracks from this while I ripped the newly arrived CD. I then played the same three tracks from the HDTracks download and the volume level was similar but the differences were obvious, the HDTracks version was more dynamic, it had more punch and more air around the instruments.......very nice & very crankable! The vinyl sound is reasonably good but it sounded a little flat & muffled compared to the download. I then started playing the CD rip and it was very loud in comparison. My initial thought was that there was possibly a little more bass in the CD but I didn't investigate further as the tell-tale ear ache started and I promptly turned it off and reverted back to the HDTracks version to listen to the rest of the album.

I then ran You Oughta Know from all three versions through Audacity and the results were not surprising given my listening experience:

1995 Vinyl:

[​IMG]

2015 - HDTracks 24/192 Download:

[​IMG]

2015 CD:

[​IMG]

So in summary:

The Good
    The HDTracks download is very nice and will be my default version from now on.

The Bad
    The CD is a victim of the loudness wars, There is clipping and I found it unpleasant at high volumes compared to the 24/192. I've seen a lot worse but my ears are very sensitive to dynamic compression. Maybe others won't find it to be an issue?

The Annoying
    Why do we have to pay a premium to get the best available mastering and then only in an up-sampled hi-res format that is totally unnecessary?

Anyway, as always YMMV. I'd be interested if anyone can shed any more light on the two different 2015 versions.

JayNYC, mshare, agentalbert and 2 others like this.
  10. camgrant84

camgrant84 Member

I'm glad to see your results (and that you haven't wasted your money on the HDTracks version). I totally agree regarding the multiple masterings - It will be interesting to see what results start popping up for the 24/44.1 and 24/96 HDTracks. I'm assuming they will be loud too.

11. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

So no one has actually run the numbers with the actual remastered cd?

12. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Ignore my above post. Skateaway's post wasn't showing when I posted. I'm utterly confused as to why an upsampled 192/24 download beat the cd. I thought the remastered cd sounded night and day better than the original, so I'm really curious about the high res now.

13. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

An MTV interview with Alanis from 1995:

14. skateaway

skateaway Forum Resident

Confused describes how I feel too. I got to thinking last night - is it possible that the 4 disc & 2 disc releases have different masterings? The CD results I posted are from the 2 disc deluxe edition. The only download available from HDTracks is for the equivalent of the 4 disc release.

It would be interesting to hear from others including a waveform from the 4 disc edition.

15. jjjos

jjjos Forum Resident

Did an A/B from my AAC rip and the Apple Music 2015 remaster -- I heard no real difference, maybe less bass on the 2015.

16. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

I have the 4 disc version, but on a MAC so unless someone knows of a way I can post the DR numbers with freeware, I can't do it.
    I have the 4 disc, but I have a MAC and can't post DR numbers, unless there is freeware software that I dont know about. Maybe someone else on here with the 4 disc version can?

17. camgrant84

camgrant84 Member

You can get free software from the database website. Click 'Links' in the top right and then 'Mac OS'.

Here's the direct link: Mac OS

18. camgrant84

camgrant84 Member

My bet is that all the CD versions will be the same, and likely the HDTracks single album (24/44.1).

If it's like the Van Halen release, then the 24/96 version is possibly loud too.

19. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I was under the impression that the 1995 vinyl was "cd on wax" but the reissue from a couple years ago was the only(?) way to get the album in full fidelity. There was definitely backing track stuff I had never heard in the dozens and dozens of times I had heard the original CD over the years.

20. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Thanks. Is that new? Last time I inquired I was told there was no freeware for MAC. I'll do it tonight and post my findings.

21. camgrant84

camgrant84 Member

I'm not sure actually. I only noticed it last week when looking for results on this album.

22. skateaway

skateaway Forum Resident

I suspect you are right on the 1995 vinyl, it was always "line ball" between that and the CD but I had a friend who went to a lot of trouble to rip me the LP :)

I am starting to think maybe that the HDTracks 24/192 version is the 2012 Chris Bellman mastering for LP?? Hell, who knows........I wonder if HDTracks do?

23. onebit

onebit Forum Resident

Shh! Don't tell them - they'll probably pull it and replace it with the less dynamic version :)

Starwanderer and skateaway like this.
  24. camgrant84

camgrant84 Member

I guess you could compare the HDTracks unreleased demos with the CD version of the demos. If the mastering is different here it would have to be new for this release?

Here are my results for the HDTracks version:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed folder: /Users/Music/HDtracks/Alanis Morissette/Jagged Little Pill (Collector's Edition)/untitled folder
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Filename

DR9 -0.10 dB -10.77 dB 14-The Bottom Line.m4a
    DR8 -0.14 dB -9.38 dB 15-Superstar Wonderful Weirdos.m4a
    DR8 -0.10 dB -9.72 dB 16-Closer Than You Might Believe.m4a
    DR8 -0.10 dB -10.75 dB 17-No Avalon.m4a
    DR8 -0.46 dB -12.48 dB 18-Comfort.m4a
    DR7 -0.10 dB -10.03 dB 19-Gorgeous.m4a
    DR8 -0.15 dB -10.61 dB 20-King Of Intimidation.m4a
    DR10 -0.11 dB -12.76 dB 21-Death Of Cinderella.m4a
    DR11 -0.10 dB -13.73 dB 22-London.m4a
    DR9 -0.22 dB -12.10 dB 23-These Are The Thoughts.m4a

Number of files: 10
    Official DR value: DR9

==============================================================================================

Edit: Actually that won't work - the HDTracks version is only 16/44.1 - it wasn't done in "Hi Res"

However the range for the Acoustic album is even bigger than the standard album. Was this redone in 2012?

25. skateaway

skateaway Forum Resident

I don't know but the Acoustic album from the HDTracks download is superb :righton:

Yeah it looks like the demos are the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.