The Beatles 1 and 1+ : DVD, Blu-ray, CD, Vinyl releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by abbeyrdsteve, Sep 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randy Malone

Randy Malone Well-Known Member

Has anyone successfully ripped audio from the blu rays, and if so, what software was used?

2. HoundsOBurkittsville

HoundsOBurkittsville Deep Wine List Sonic Equivalency

OK. I've heard the original live audio, too.

But how about using some other in-concert guitar playing by Harrison, doing "A Hard Day's Night" from the 1964-1965 era, to insert into the DVD's Paris performance?

Yeah, I know already. That would make too much sonic sense.

3. gaels7592

gaels7592 Forum Resident

Does anyone else have pages cut off in the deluxe booklet?

Jerry Horne likes this.
  4. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

sallymae, there you go again, you nattering nabob of negativism. :D ;)

5. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Now sallymae, don't be a "nattering nabob of negativism!" :)
    [​IMG]

EDIT - Glenn Christinse beat me to the quote!

6. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

How many pages?

7. DennisF

DennisF Forum Resident

I think its got too much bass on the CD. Sounds a bit overdone.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  8. ABull

ABull Forum Resident

Interesting question. I hope you get an answer without having to wade through the incessant long-time poster who posts purloined pasted portions of Wikipedia entries and/or older comments from SHTV threads. Then of course, there are the cluttering so-called comedians. :blah:

omar ravenhurst likes this.
  9. HoundsOBurkittsville

HoundsOBurkittsville Deep Wine List Sonic Equivalency

Do you think Paul and Ringo --- still alive, thank goodness! -- would have anything to do with the bass and drums being loud in the mix?

It's probable and perhaps those cats put a lovebug in the earmuffs of Giles...

In any event, I enjoy being able to hear the Paul and Ringo contributions more clearly.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
    FJFP likes this.
  10. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

No actually it would pretty impossible. The only place that giitar exists on a track where there aren't drums etc etc is the studio version.

funkydude, Tero and Onder like this.
  11. InRoom19

InRoom19 Forum Resident

Hollywood bowl 3-Tracks. Guitars are on their own, well, apart from the audience...

nikh33 likes this.
  12. eeggddss

eeggddss Forum Resident

Regarding the CD audio stereo mixes…

Beatles songs are not sacred artifacts that we must revere at an untouchable distance. They are art pieces that were represented in physical form with the best technology available at that time, about fifty years ago!

Probably most of us know that songs by memory, note by note, bit by bit, word by word. They are imprinted in our memory in an indelible form.

Now we have the opportunity to hear these pieces of art on a new light, with different instrument or voices placing, with a distinct and analytical clarity never before possible.

And they still are pieces of art, beautiful music, brilliant words, probably the best that popular music ever produced in the 20th century.

So please let us be immersed in that beauty, be thankful that we lived that era, stop being so critical about trying to hear it on a different way.

We all have the original mixes if we prefer, but the new ones let us experience The Beatles on a new light.

I really hope the remixing work continues on the rest of the catalogue, not to replace the originals, but to complement them.

13. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I agree that doctoring some of these things was unnecessary, the Roof performance was better untouched as seen on youtube even with the dumb watermark. Still, I am happy to see and hear these blu-ray discs, nothing is going to be perfect.

Grant and HoundsOBurkittsville like this.
  14. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

But that wasn't untouched audio and video. Both the audio and video were restored and remixed by none other than Ron Furmanek.

15. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

The Roof performance? re-read my initial post, I meant to say unnecessary.

16. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

True but the audience is very loud on the guitar track. It would be just as obvious.

Onder likes this.
  17. Rocco

Rocco Find My Way

Would any kind soul PM me a link to a rip of the 2015 remixes of FAAB and Real Love? Bought "1" but waiting for Xmas on "1+"...

18. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

To many the new mixes do not complete or bring to perfection the originals. To many they do just the opposite. And those who think so arent being critical to hearing things a different way. They simply think the mixes suck for various reasons. And guess what? They have the right to think that and express that, just like those who think the remixes are awesomely awesome have to ramble on about how great they are and those who dont should be silent.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  19. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Yeah, I was reluctant to pile on but there is such a thing as constructive criticism-----leading to better things like sparing use of NR and compression on the remasters. Maybe quality control will step up with the rest of the remixes with stuff like the out of sync drum overdub on Eight Days a Week being pointed out.

Tullman likes this.
  20. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

For this release, the team just re-compiled the original rooftop promos that were created for Get Back (1970) and Don't Let Me Down (2003) with restored footage and remixed tracks that were used on the original (single version for GB, LIBN for DLMD). Hopefully, the actual performance of the rooftop gig will someday see the light of day on a future Let It Be DVD release.

musicfan37 and Tullman like this.
  21. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

And this from the foremost Beatle expert* - so period and end of discussion.

*between the 490 and 500 blocks of Mallory Lane

Glenn Christense likes this.
  22. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

I thought the No-Noised 2000 release of 1 was great (sounds great in the car!), so what do I know?

By the way, I cringe uncontrollably every time I watch the Penny Lane clip where they flip over the table, and Paul nearly drops the Hofner. The camera cuts away before he fully gains control of it - I really wish they would have extended that a bit in the new release so I can rest easy that the Hofner was not dropped :D

23. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Very cool! It was a lot of fun watching this set with my wife, and originally it wasn't the plan. She just happen to come down and saw what I was watching. She said she'd watch one video but stayed for the whole thing. I actually got to enjoy it more seeing how taken in she was. She really doesn't care about how something sounds and doesn't make a fuss, but she was impressed with the sound of this set. We had it pumping through my Focals and the bass and kick drum was really something. I actually didn't mind how loud it was, and felt it added to the power of the visuals, like a modern take on a classic set of songs. I didn't even have to turn down so I feel some are exaggerating about the loudness of the set.

24. Frank

Frank Senior Member

MakeMKV to rip the individual videos to hard drive (via Backup feature - split them to their own files automatically). eac3to (with the HD Streams Extractor GUI) to rip the audio streams from the videos.

25. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

A good burger?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

goodiesguy, misko and Mal like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.