• Lindsey Buckingham Interview: His Life & Music •

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by segue, Oct 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

Chops.

2. NotebookWriter

NotebookWriter Forum Resident

Buckingham generally chooses his words pretty carefully. In retrospect, however, I was surprised to hear him say this:

"We went into rehearsals before we recorded that first album, and we, uh, it became very clear to me, a couple of things. One was that these three people desperately needed a musical leader and probably hadn’t had a very strong one in a good long time."

I get that he was brought in to be that musical leader. I'm still a bit surprised that he would openly disrespect personnel who came before him.

I've read that he wasn't a fan of the Bob Welch era. When he and Nicks first joined the band, the set list still included songs like Station Man and Hypnotized. Apparently, he didn't appreciate having to perform those.

3. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member Thread Starter

Stevie became close with Welch, which may have something to do with LB's attitude toward him!

4. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

I wouldn't read too much into that. I seem to recall Bob Welch basically conveyed the same sentiments when he first entered into the FM universe back in 1971. In both cases, the band was dissipated and down on their luck, and leadership was lacking, or at least a focused leadership. When Welch arrived, they had just lost Peter Green and Jeremy Spencer from their front line ranks. When Buckingham joined, Welch had just thrown in the towel after battling a disruptive former manager and a bogus band for well over a year.

I think what Lindsey found was a unit that he probably thought he would be taking quite a few of cues from, especially initially. After all, the group had already notched 10 albums under its belt by that point. It also had been one of the biggest things going only 5 years earlier in Europe. Instead he found himself taking the reins with a remarkable degree of latitude, when he had been told they were mostly looking for a replacement guitar player. He may not have been prepared for that, or the way the rhythm section so thoroughly deferred to, and relied on, the front end personnel - even if they were brand new. Welcome to the Mac machine, Mr. Buckingham! :D

They also hired both Welch and Buckingham without formal auditions, something most bands don't do with new personnel. I think that threw both Bob and Lindsey for a bit to boot, even if they were the direct beneficiaries. Of course after his initial surprise, I'm sure he quickly realized his good fortune and the ideal situation he found himself in, just like Bob did earlier. It was, in fact, just what the doctor ordered!

I've read that he wasn't a fan of the Bob Welch era. When he and Nicks first joined the band, the set list still included songs like Station Man and Hypnotized. Apparently, he didn't appreciate having to perform those.

He and Stevie got along with Bob fine, even appearing on a few of his solo productions as guest artists. And I'm not sure he didn't appreciate performing those earlier works, unless he felt they were coming at the expense of their latest stuff. [Q: Curious, where did you read he wasn't a fan of the Welch/Kirwan era material?] The only earlier member I recall him having an issue with was Peter Green, whom he felt cold shouldered him when the two first met. Whether that was lasting or lingering in his mind is anyone's guess at this point. Didn't stop him from performing "Oh Well" for years thereafter, and pretty well too.

steelinYaThighs, fsutall and JimC like this.
  5. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Yep that was a good watch!

6. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

7. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member Thread Starter

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  8. I didn't find it disrespectful, really. Christine was a strong songwriter, but she's certainly not a band-leader. Danny Kirwan was most definitely not a band leader. Bob Welch may have been closer to that, but despite some strong songs, I'd agree that he also wasn't such a good LEADER of that band. I don't think LB's comment was about musical ability but rather about having a clear vision for the group's integrated sound, involving all the writers. And he absolutely brought that when he joined the band.

9. NotebookWriter

NotebookWriter Forum Resident

I agree with most of what you wrote, except I would say that Welch wasn't just closer to being the leader ... he had become the leader. So, even if Buckingham believes he was a better musical leader, is it really necessary to say as much in an interview? I don't think there was any malice whatsoever. Still, I don't see how you could interpret it any other way than that Buckingham openly implying that Welch was not a strong leader.

10. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

Never thought of that. That would be great Buckingham producing McCartney. Only those two musicians would needed for an album as well!

11. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Lindsey did co-produce (with Stevie Nicks) Walter Egan's debut album "Fundamental Roll" and follow-up "Not Shy" (including the fantastic hit, "Magnet And Steel").

musicaner and steelinYaThighs like this.
  12. Harry Hotspur

Harry Hotspur Forum Resident

Seem to recall he had a go working with Brian Wilson but that it was frustrating because Brian stubbornly refused to try anything more experimental than the fairly routine song they were working on.

13. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

Welp...

ralph7109 likes this.
  14. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

I'm sure Live Nation has the offers out for 2021 with the '77 line-up together. They always hang out the offers.

15. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

You might want to take off those rose-colored glasses once in a while!

16. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Come on dude - this is a friggin 5 year old post you are responding to.

It was clearly one way for a while then something changed recently.

I’ve seen the performances with the two of them on stage and listened to the interviews.

Don’t be that guy... again, it was a 5 year old post.

OberonOz and Chuckee like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.