The Beatles 1 and 1+ : DVD, Blu-ray, CD, Vinyl releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by abbeyrdsteve, Sep 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

The remix of "Real Love", I think, is the biggest winner here.

25 years after, then another 20 years following that, we finally get a real "new" genuine-Beatle track. It's not the Traveling Beatleburys - it's The Beatles now.

I think had this version come out on Anthology 1 in '95 as the lead single this would have debuted at #1 and today, would have also found a home on the first disc of Beatles 1.

Just fantastic.

Jeff

2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

The Beatles didn't touch any of them, or many of their 63 tunes, after 64 either. They seem to share the delusion that they got better post 63.

3. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

I have watched all vids twice (once in 5.1; once in stereo) as well as listened to the new cd, and I am pretty chuffed....besides the videos, most of the remixes sounded like the real versions (without my A/B'ing and going strictly by a lifetime of memories, of course) and the clarity does not undo the glue for me but I understand it as it may relate to others, same with the EDAW cockup on the end and the drum in Penny Lane (yes it is too loud, and no it didn't bother me).

Sure there are bloopers as there would be in any major project such as this. But I love it, I like the new remixes for the most part, the 5.1 is good, if unremarkable. THEN you get the videos! I am quite happy with this purchase.

4. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I think many of us here suffer from the same deludsion.

johnsmusicbox, Zeki and Kim Olesen like this.
  5. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Yes it is a common affliction to believe that people have recorded music comparable or superior to that which set the world on fire in 63-64.

6. Bill

Bill Senior Member

And, as we all know, after their initial success on Vee-Jay in 1963, notwithstanding an initial burst, the Beatles subsequently had lackluster sales numbers, making Capitol's signing of them something of an industry joke.

goodiesguy, Gems-A-Bems and WPLJ like this.
  7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Gotta love all this sarcasm! :laugh:

But, really man, we gotta find some more substantial stuff to talk about if we're gonna get this thing to 20,000 posts. Certainly there must be more to talk about. OK, maybe not.

Maybe we can go over what changes were made to the mono mixes. Some people believe there were absolutely no changes made to them at all.

8. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

W
    What's so different about it. Besides muting the Lennon piano on the intro, and adding a couple guitar licks ?

How do you feel about the FAAB remix ?

9. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Sorry, but this thread veered to self-parody once 1+ was in our hands and people started complaining. I think it's great and claim my right to call out absurd comments, like the guy earlier today who listens to Rubber Soul in mono 99 percent of the time yet was "mighty upset" at George Martin's 1987 remix of the stereo. Oh, wait- that was you!
    You can't make this stuff up.

musicfan37 likes this.
  10. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

Paul co wrote Day Tripper obviously and less obviously he claims to have significantly contributed to the writing of Mr Kite

11. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Could be. That isn't what Lennon said when he discussed all the songs in Playboy. If a song was 75-25 or 80-20. Lennon didn't seem to think of those as actual collaborations. It's not that clear cut to me.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  12. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

I think it's because John gave him no credit that Paul put this song in his live show. He made a point of claiming back his credit when he did so

theMess likes this.
  13. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

It seems that your assessment of their artistic peak period is shrinking. Next up: "It was all downhill after '62".

14. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

I always thought of it as a John song (with We Can Work It Out being Paul's) but I noted Paul does sing the main melody on Daytripper when watching the video. Perhaps this is another Every Little Thing example where the main author relinquishes the lead vocal (or doubles it) for whatever reason.

Seltarb likes this.
  15. stollar

stollar Forum Resident

More chart updates : Australian ARIA album chart nr 45 this week, 65 weeks on chart.

France album chart nr 36 this week, 31 weeks on chart.

UK official physcial album chart nr 4 this week, 103 weeks on chart.

Sgt. pepper"s lonely hearts club band also re enters the physcial chart at nr 94 this week.

16. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Day Tripper, from what I read, mainly John, but Paul did contribute.

17. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

If Mr. Kite is true, that bring Sgt. Pepper up to at least 7 co-writes.

18. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

John supposedly contributed at least 1 line to Penny Lane.

19. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

This relatively low position could have all to do with the fact the damn thing is barely anywhere in stock. Amateurish handling all around.

CoryS, graystoke and theMess like this.
  20. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

What are the other 6 ?

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  21. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I understand your desire to have the actual rooftop performances in very good video quality and with audio that is truly from the rooftop.

The Get Back that was released as a single comes from a hybrid of two separate performances on two different days. -(Sulpy and Schweighardt DDSI 27.63 & 28.43). Lewisohn states it is all from one take (with the coda being on the same take but faded down and then up) but that seems to clearly be in error. The 1+ booklet contains a quote by Paul Hicks which supports Sulpy and Schweighardt: "Since the version release as a single contained a coda at the end not present on the original session recording for the song, it wouldn't have represented what actually took place in the studio during that take."

But the two versions of Get Back that appear on the 1+ package are not intended to be exact performances from the roof, and the booklet included with the 1+ package is very clear about what they are.
    On DVD/BluRay 1 - This is a reconstruction of the video put together in 1970, which was plugging the single. And the single was not a live performance from the roof. It was the studio performance. And the booklet says that Apple created the promo version from parts of all 3 of the rooftop versions and acknowledges lip synch inconsistencies as a result of pairing the live visuals against the studio audio.

On DVD/BlueRay 2 - They use the video clip that was done to promote Let It Be Naked, which includes various footage of them performing Get Back in the studio, on the roof, and performances at both Twickenham and Apple that are clearly not performances of Get Back. The 1+ booklet states that it is the 2003 Let It Be Naked version that forms the audio track of the clip. And again, the LIBN version was the January 27 studio version of the song, remixed in 2003. So even the video on disc 2 will not synch up that well with a studio recording.

I believe you are looking at the wrong package in what you seek. When (or if) Let It Be is released, hopefully we will get the full rooftop performance. Get Back (Parts of versions 1 & 2 and all of 3 from the rooftop) do appear in that film. Version 1 was a warmup, but Lewisohn says "The Let It Be film has a well-matched edit of these first two Get Back versions." So unless they release the entire rooftop performance as an extra, you won't even see an entire, unedited live performance except for the inferior Get Back version 3, which has John and George's guitars turned off for a bit.

People have complained that Two of Us and For You Blue are missing from the 1+ compilation. But I actually appreciate that, because it gives me hope that those performances and much more may be coming our way via a comprehensive Get Back deluxe package.

22. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

23. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

With A Little Help...
    Lucy...
    Getting Better
    Day In The Life
    When I'm 64 (John helped with some new lyrics)
    She's Leaving Home

theMess and nikh33 like this.
  24. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

I was pleasantly shocked at the guitar opening...and loved it! I wish it was on the cd.

25. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

I think Paul plays live what he wants to. I wouldn't try to read too much into it. He played "Give Peace a Chance" for a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.