The Beatles 1 and 1+ : DVD, Blu-ray, CD, Vinyl releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by abbeyrdsteve, Sep 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

They don't sing in unison on the verses, your ears are tricking you because you've always assumed Paul goes high, John goes low on this song, but now you know they don't, listen again. And the Candlestick Park video where even you can hear what Paul is singing.

2. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Day Tripper is one of their most frighteningly original vocal harmonies. It's at that point, where John and Paul 'swap' that tricks the ear.

3. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

I should have my Deluxe DVD edition later this week. Will finally be able to watch and listen, and I'll give my thoughts. Feeling excited, always keen to hear remixes, and it's not like they're replacing the originals :)

4. omar ravenhurst

omar ravenhurst Well-Known Member

Yeah...but I've also seen examples of where a bus whose destination is shown as Someplace actually terminates at Someotherplace.
    It really doesn't mean we should change the colour of the bus.

5. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

John really loved 'why don't we do it in the road'! And was not amused when Macca didn't invite him to add something during the session!

6. slane

slane Forum Resident

I've posted this observation before. One of John's favourite songs was 'Only You' by the Platters. He admitted that he used the chord progression from that song on his own 'Woman Is The N***** Of The World', only he drastically speeded up the chord changes (he also later suggested that Ringo record 'Only You', which John played on and sang a guide vocal for).

But guess what? Seven years before WITNOTW, almost the exact same chord sequence was used for 'In My Life', the only change being the second chord in the sequence. Here's a comparison - the chord sequence for 'Only You'/WITNOTW is at the top (transposed to A), and 'In My Life' at the bottom:

OY/WITNOTW - A C# F#m A7 D Dm A
    IML.................... - A E.. F#m A7 D Dm A

Coincidence? Or another tune that John wrote using a favourite song as 'inspiration'?

7. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

Paul still could have written the melody. Maybe John had the words and the music ready but struggled with the melody.

theMess likes this.
  8. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

That's the best review I've ever read about the Give My Regards To Broad Street film. ... ;)

9. varitone

varitone Forum Resident

I confess I never noticed the swap all these years, but now I hear it and it makes a fantastic example of how their voices blend. The swap makes me wonder if the "Got a good reason" lines would have been Lennon's but they sounded better sung by McCartney.

10. DavidFell

DavidFell Forum Resident

Sorry if this has been addressed already (I'm 22 pages behind); but the LPCM aren't just the front or rear at all; they are the stereo mix; not directly connected to the two 5.1 formats.

Dinstun likes this.
  11. DavidFell

DavidFell Forum Resident

With the exception of a couple of songs that were in mono on the old version and stereo on the new ones (still listed as mono on the labels, oops), they used the same compilation tapes made for the original issue, including the studio noise that precedes I Feel Fine...something I never heard until I got these 2014 sets, because that wasn't on the US version.

funkydude likes this.
  12. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Not a good analogy. We're talking two authors here, two names on the sheet music, not two potential authors. One is dropped because it is second.

With the vitriol over the supposed evil-McCartney scheming to have Lennon's tracks not included on 1, imagine the horror if they started dripping John's name from the sheet music.

theMess likes this.
  13. slane

slane Forum Resident

"Imagine the clouds dripping..." ;)

omar ravenhurst likes this.
  14. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Maybe so, yes. But John takes the lead vocal throughout the chorus too. It's a bit of a mystery song as to who wrote what. Unlike say She Loves You where clearly Paul wrote "because she loves you" (upbeat and positive) and John came back with "and you know that can't be bad" (downbeat and equivocal) for instance.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    goodiesguy, Maidenpriest and theMess like this.
  15. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

You seem to have some sort of a imagined persecution complex on Lennon's behalf with these bizarre conspiracy fantasies about McCartney actively working to suppress him at every turn.

I'm thinking of writing a dissertation about the Beatles as personality archetypes and how our identification with the various different band members and our reactions to their past behavior/work reflects our own psyches. This board would provide all sorts of fascinating study data!

16. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

"She was a" and "It took me" in the choruses are John alone

goodiesguy, supermd, theMess and 3 others like this.
  17. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Yes, as noted in the original post that led to this discussion. Though both John and Paul do doubletrack their vocals, so there are two Johns.

theMess and AppleCorp3 like this.
  18. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Tight A$ would have been great as a Day Tripper style track if both John $ Paul had sung it

Maidenpriest, gramfan and 905 like this.
  19. DavidFell

DavidFell Forum Resident

Yeah, that's nuts. I'll be blowing that up for personal use.

20. DavidFell

DavidFell Forum Resident

True, it doesn't look great. But it beats the pants over an island surrounded by oceans of black.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  21. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Ah!!! Stupid iPhone keypad :)

22. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident

I am one of those graduates as well! Mary Lu is a friend of mine. Although the headline is a bit mis-leading. She was the first name called at graduation. There were several others in her cohort who earned Master's Degrees. I am a graduate of the second cohort of the programme (2010-2012).

23. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Yes, and I posted this information a while ago, boiling it down to John being 50.04%, and a poster replied he was shocked John had written so little!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  24. omar ravenhurst

omar ravenhurst Well-Known Member

The thing I like about The Beatles is that they're still The Beatles.
    Despite having gone through periods in which someone (Philip Norman or Yoko or maybe even YOU) tried to make them John+three others and periods in which some others attempt to say that Paul is claiming them as himself + 3 others (even while he keeps mentioning John at every drop or non-drop of a hat) and even while journalists and ignoramuses say Ringo wasn't useful or when John or George have occasionally minimised their interest in the band altogether, the fact has remained that they persist as a quartet of collaboration that not even The Threetles plus John could fully emulate.
    It gets tedious when people say or try to say otherwise and it gets good when they just admit it and get on with enjoying the fact.

1+1+1+1 =The Beatles.

25. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Well, then, tell Mary Lu to join us here so that she can show us "Amateur Macca Scholars" what the real deal is. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.