The Beatles 1 and 1+ : DVD, Blu-ray, CD, Vinyl releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by abbeyrdsteve, Sep 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

I'm really clutching at straws asking this - but what mixes do I need to extract from the blurays that differ from the 1+CD?

2. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I would love to read something like that, although I am not sure that it would go down too well here. :D

3. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Paul started the song, and brought in the first lines about 'keeping a face in a jar by the door', and then he finished the song with John, George, Ringo and Pete Shotton all suggesting certain ideas.

It seems that George and Ringo's contributions to the lyrics were bigger than John's, and we know the lines that they contributed:
    ''Harrison came up with the "Ah, look at all the lonely people" hook. Starr contributed the line "writing the words of a sermon that no one will hear" and suggested making "Father McCartney" darn his socks, which McCartney liked.''

Even though all of the lyrics are brilliant, Paul still came up with the idea for the song, the name 'Eleanor Rigby', and what is arguably the best line of the song (the face in the jar line), so it is still a great example of his lyrical abilities.

goodiesguy, Zeki, fatoldsun and 3 others like this.
  4. DavidFell

DavidFell Forum Resident

I did, but nobody liked it. (sniff.)
    The Beatles 1 and 1+ : DVD, Blu-ray, CD, Vinyl releases

whisper3978 and Grant like this.
  5. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

Did anyone comment on what might have been done with the 3 mono songs, besides smoothing out the edits in "She Loves You"? Booklet says they were remixed to mono. But we all know that's not really possible. So what exactly have they done?

6. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

USA Billboard Update:
    "The Beatles’ successful greatest hits package 1 returns to the list, reentering at No. 6 with 40,000 units (up 1,528 percent) and with 39,000 sold (up 2,623 percent). The former No. 1 (which spent eight nonconsecutive weeks atop the list in 2000 and 2001) bounds back onto the chart following its reissue on Nov. 6. It was rereleased in a variety of new formats, including sets that boasted music videos for each of the album’s 27 songs."

Maidenpriest and helter like this.
  7. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

I'm sure that's a bit disappointing. But something tells me this will continue to sell big from here on to Xmas. This is the ideal gift for grandpa.

omar ravenhurst likes this.
  8. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

was #2 in Germany the highest chart position yet?

9. (Talking about Yes in a Beatles thread!)

If you listen to the LPCM 6-channel "fold down" of "Heart of the Sunrise" (not the LPCM 2-channel mix) the "airy high notes" are missing, that should follow the "growling" beginning.
    Of course this could just be how DVD Audio Extractor folds down surround 6-channel LPCM files.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  10. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I'm wondering what the marketing strategy is/was.
    Sure all of us who are on The Beatles mailing list from their Beatles.com webpage got emails of the teasers for this product. But it seems there was very little advertising/marketing to the general audience. Best Buy had it listed in one Sunday flier, but if you already didn't know what it was, it would have not been obvious. Our Walmart has only the Yellow CD/DVD in the rack in their CD section, but not on an endcap in their new release section. I didn't see anything on the morning news shows or entertainment shows, but then I just might have missed it. Did major music publications have any advertising? In what periodicals did the poster/advert get published? At least England got the 2 hour TV special.

My non-Beatle friends don't have any idea that any new release is even available. I am guessing that 40,000 sales is pretty much the dedicated fans. How does this compare with sales of On Air BBC Vol. 2 and Bootleg 1963? Of course both of those were done more as a strategy to avoid the public domain, so were not advertised very heavily (Bootleg 63 not at all). But the 1 and 1+ package seem clearly done to appeal to a mass audience.

11. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I really believe too that if you were to pose that question to them they would all tell you that. The Beatles were always 4 guys working together as a unit, not merely a vehicle for one or two. They've all spoken of the democracy, camaraderie, and groupthink that went on.

Maybe that started to fade away towards the end but they could still close ranks when they needed to. Like when John blasted the Stones in an interview or stuck up for Paul during their very public fued.

omar ravenhurst, Zeki and Grant like this.
  12. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Father Mackinze, NOT father McCartney. That obvious mistake makes me question the accuracy of your post.

13. Grant

Rebalancing a two-track recording can be considered remixing. Some people don't think so, though.

14. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Ahem...

The first version of the lyric *was* Father McCartney.

15. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

Absolutely. Everything about Eleanor Rigby sounds like a Paul song, and not at all like a John song. As we all know, John wrote about himself, Paul wrote the character studies. We have both Paul himself saying John contributed little to the song and -- for those people who think anything John says is gospel while anything Paul says must be questioned -- we have John's best childhood friend, Pete Shotten, saying the same thing. Shotten happened to be there when Paul brought in the song and asked for suggestions. Shotten says George and Ringo contributed a line or two and John didn't contribute anything.

Why John claimed 70% percent credit for the lyrics later is a mystery. Perhaps he was messing with Paul. And why Paul didn't notice John claiming 70% credit on that Hit Parade interview is also a mystery. Perhaps Paul just read over it too fast, and didn't notice that bit. Needless to say that Hit Parader interview doesn't stand as fact for all time. And we now have other sources -- Paul himself and Pete Shotten -- agreeing on John's role in that particular song.

16. Grant

I have decided that I really don't like the new mix of "Hey Jude". The vocals are way too loud and destroys the jamming feel of the song, especially the second half. I put on the mono single mix and it all sounded very correct again.

17. Grant

Whatever was written, it was Father Mackinzie that made it to the final recording.

18. Grant

So, Paul wrote "Yesterday" as a character study?

I only mentioned that because your post sounded so absolute.

zobalob and Lost In The Flood like this.
  19. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

You can't rebalance if you only have a mono master. Hence my question.

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  20. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

True, but undermining someone's sagacity over it is unnecessary,

21. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

You don't have to question the accuracy of the post because there was no obvious mistake made. theMess put Father McCartney into quotation marks because at the point they were coming up with lyrics, the name in fact still was Father McCartney.

22. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

I think you know I was describing general tendencies of both songwriters.

fatoldsun likes this.
  23. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

What kind of job do you get with this qualification? :wave:

24. Grant

That is only true for two or three mono songs. The rest of the mono songs had two-track tapes.

25. Grant

I have learned that on this forum, and in general, you have to try your best to be specific in what you say and write. You learn that after having worked in retail for many years, and writing on the internet. You don't want to leave room for interpretation.

Jose Jones likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.