The Beatles 1 and 1+ : DVD, Blu-ray, CD, Vinyl releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by abbeyrdsteve, Sep 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Do you have 2 week totals for any other countries?

2. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Finally I'm ordering my 1+ 2 DVD 1 CD set tomorrow. As I recall shipping usually takes only 3-4 days

Captain Groovy likes this.
  3. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I get that you are joking, but why would that be the case?

John said that he really liked the BOTR album, Eat At Home, and Mull Of Kintyre, and he said that 'Coming Up' inspired him when he returned to music. I imagine that John would like many of Paul's songs since 1980 as well.

Maidenpriest and 905 like this.
  4. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

He wanted to play Monkberry Tonight on a radio show in the 70s, they didn't have it so he played some other McCartney song.

theMess likes this.
  5. stollar

stollar Forum Resident

Not yet > But i will post them when they get available.

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  6. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I miss the foghorn that was nicely brought up in the YSS mix. It's just as inaudible in this remix as the original mix.

7. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

It's much more than that - that's not what "makes it". It's the total remix - the drums sound like Ringo's drums. The acoustic section is more revealing almost right off the bat, making it less muddy - much more of how The Beatles would have done it in the late 60s... the added lick is nice and unique but I'm talking about the remix itself, not the nice little overdubs or redubs since '95...

Jeff

8. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

BTW, what is JL saying now at the end of "Free as a Bird"? I can't make it out.

Last time, sounded like "My name's John Lennon" on the ukulele outro. It's quicker and shorter now - but what audio clip does he say now instead? Thanks.

Jeff

9. jeighson1

jeighson1 Forum Resident

If most of the words were from the poster, and also considering that about half of the melody was lifted from "It's Only Love", the melody of the "having been some days in preparation" is arguably one of the only original ideas in the written song. I hope it's John, but yeah, it's easy to conjecture it Paul.

JimC likes this.
  10. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Wasn't Paul's bit helping meld the 2 Lennon bits into 1 song, also have heard this was more George than Paul. I don't remember from my various listening to the tapes, I remember Paul helping with BG vocals that were never used.

zobalob and nikh33 like this.
  11. jeighson1

jeighson1 Forum Resident

I was talking about "Being For the Benefit of Mr. Kite"

Chuckee likes this.
  12. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

oops

13. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Thanks! I didn't know that, and it is nice to hear. I am not surprised that he liked that song, considering the unusual almost 'Lennon-esque' lyrics that it had.

Chuckee likes this.
  14. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Also, I am sure that Martin has mentioned being inspired by what Paul and the others did with the loops on Tomorrow Never Knows. Whereas Paul led the arrangement of that song, Martin arranged the loops on 'Mr.Kite'.

15. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

you may be on to something there :)

Arnold Grove likes this.
  16. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I think that it says: 'It turned out good again'.

Captain Groovy likes this.
  17. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

It also goes to show that they didn't stop writing together early on, as many people incorrectly believe. Their songwriting relationship changed through the years, but they wrote together until Yoko started living with John, as Paul spoke about during the Get Back sessions:

(Discussing Yoko and trying to finish I Will with John whilst Yoko was interfering. Talking to Neil and Ringo):

PAUL: But you know... I tend to think that about them, too. You know, like I say. “Well, I’d rather write without Yoko, thank you.” Just because it’s, you know, that’s the way I write. If I like, if I was in Tunisia, I’d go up to the bathroom to write a song, and then come back when it was done to show it to you, and sort of say, “Let’s do a couple more words, now that’s it all there.” You know, “Now that there’s only a little...”

NEIL: Yeah.

PAUL: But it’s difficult starting right from scratch with Yoko there. ‘Cause you start off on a– well, I do, I start off on a “Yoko beam”, you know. I start off sort of writing songs about white walls. [Neil and Ringo laugh] Just ‘cause I–you know, just ‘cause I think she–John and Yoko would like that, you know. And they wouldn’t. You know, I give them too much credit for what I think they’d like. But that’s not true, you know. They wouldn’t. They’re very straight, you know.

---

NEIL: But when you’re talking to John, you always–these days, anyway–tend to think that you’re talking to Yoko more than you’re talking to John.

PAUL: That’s why I say writing a song with him... is a bit embarrassing, because I do think it–sort of–you know, that I’d start examining my emotions, with Yoko there. [pause] But it’s probably silly of me. It’s probably silly, because, like, Yoko’s not what we’re all sort of thinking she is.

goodiesguy, crossroads69 and nikh33 like this.
  18. HoundsOBurkittsville

HoundsOBurkittsville Deep Wine List Sonic Equivalency

Poor gal's simply suffering from another good ol' Beatle nervous breakdown.

No big deal.

Some of us experience those daily 'round here :goodie: ...while wracking our brains.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    Maidenpriest and Arnold Grove like this.
  19. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

You could very well be correct; from the sound of it, it is 'McCartney-esque'.

As for 'Don't Let Me Down', I think that it could easily be credited as Lennon/McCartney/Harrison; Paul and George took a small fragment of a song and built it into arguably the best 'rock' song of the Get Back sessions.

20. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

I finished ripping all the audio from the two Blu Ray discs and put together the following playlist with a focus on fitting in the unique studio remixes from the DVD that weren't featured on the 1 remixed CD:

Beatles 1+

RED = Beatles 1 CD (Remixed)
    BLUE = Beatles 1 or + DVD

1. Love Me Do
    2. Twist and Shout (+)
    3. From Me To You
    4. She Loves You
    5. I Want To Hold Your Hand
    6. Can't Buy Me Love
    7. A Hard Day's Night
    8. I Feel Fine
    9. Eight Days a Week
    10. Ticket To Ride
    11. Help!
    12. Yesterday
    13. Day Tripper
    14. We Can Work It Out
    15. Paperback Writer

16. Rain (+)
    17. Yellow Submarine
    18. Eleanor Rigby

19. Tomorrow Never Knows / Within You Without You (LOVE) (+)
    20. Penny Lane
    21. Strawberry Fields (+)
    22. A Day in the Life (+)

23. All You Need Is Love
    24. Hello, Goodbye
    25. Lady Madonna

26. Hey Bulldog (+)
    27. Hey Jude
    28. Revolution (1)
    29. Get Back
    30. The Ballad of John and Yoko
    31. Something
    32. Come Together
    33. Let It Be

34. Don't Let Me Down (+)
    35. The Long and Winding Road
    36. Free As A Bird (+)
    37. Real Love (+)

Bonus Tracks:
    38. Hey Jude (Beatles + with Live Vocals) (+)
    39. Get Back (DVD Single Mix) 3:12 (1)
    40. Get Back (DVD Album Mix) 2:39 (+)
    41. The Long and Winding Road (Beatles...Naked) (1)

Did I miss anything significant from a studio perspective? I chose to leave off the early period live tracks since I focused on the studio material and the fidelity of these recordings doesn't work as well with the remixed studio tracks.

And I'm 50/50 on including "Revolution" with the rest of the remixed studio tracks, but I couldn't resist. Where it lacks in fidelity it makes up for in the smack in the face that opening guitar gives ya.

It might be sacrilegious to include the Love track "Tomorrow Never Knows/Within You Without" with the rest of the period tracks, but it works great as a bridge from the end of the early touring period to the Pepper/studio years.

I included the single mix of "Get Back" from the DVD as a bonus since the mix differs from the CD -- the lead guitar (largely in the right channel) is slightly louder and the song is better for it, imo.
    I found the DVD tracks of "like" tracks to be slightly louder than their CD counterparts, but just slightly.

And man, "Real Love" sounds so different -- it's like a new song to me!

21. AdamChanSiuLung

AdamChanSiuLung Forum Resident

Am I the only Beatles fan who hasn't ordered this yet and is only looking at the 1+ DVD format and not Blu-Ray? So what am I waiting for? Well I'm hoping to find a substantial markdown for Black Friday. This is a very bad time for me so I shouldn't be spending any money at all.

As for choosing the DVD over BR, I don't really care about the picture quality. I'm someone who up until early 2014 or maybe this year, was watching TV on a set bought in 1980. Yes, it's nice to have a bigger screen and the picture looks nicer (and the only reason why I have a big screen HD TV is because my friend gave it to me, otherwise I'd still be using the 1980 set), but BR is an upgrade that I don't need.

It's sort of like vinyl and CDs. I only started buying CDs when the music I liked wasn't made on vinyl anymore so I'll probably switch to BR when they stop releasing products on DVD.

Tero and Maidenpriest like this.
  22. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Yes, it was October 1974 in LA. John plays Jet instead and says "That was one of Paul's, wasn't that a good one"

DavidFell and theMess like this.
  23. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

It's the same clip, just not reversed. Now, it's 'right way round' and it's John saying "Turned out nice again" which was British ukulele banjo-playing comedian George Formby's catchphrase in the 1940s and 50s. On the 1995 version, it's played in reverse and does indeed sound a lot like "Made for John Lennon", though it's just backwards noise. Which is kinda sweet!

George Harrison was a big Formby fan and used to attend the George Formby Appreciation Society Annual Convention where a hundred middle aged men played ukuleles. True fact.

24. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Mr. Kite's vocal melody has characteristics of both John and Paul but the way the chords are used in more of a melodic fashion and the ragtag cadences sounds like typical John way of writing. But like you said, some of the vocalizing could be from Paul. We may never know........:D

A lot of John's songs show little concern for harmonic root relationships in the chords. He had an amazing way of somehow making the unusual sound familiar.

Maidenpriest and theMess like this.
  25. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Thanks for the information; I had never heard that before. I knew that he liked the BOTR album as a whole, but I didn't know that he had spoken positively about 'Jet'. It is interesting that he had wanted to play 'Monkberry Moon Delight' in 1974, 3 years after 'Ram' was released. I know that he criticised 'Ram' for the songs that mentioned him, but he did seem to be a fan of the album; I remember him praising 'Eat At Home' as being like a Buddy Holly song, and then there is the tape of him singing 'hands across the water' on his birthday.

It is such a shame that we never got to see John sing songs like 'Jet' with Paul. One of the most interesting things to consider when thinking about a potential Beatles reunion is what solo songs they could have played together live.

nikh33, Mr. H, lennon_08518 and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.