Alien : Covenant

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Lord Summerisle, Nov 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ridley Scott returns to the universe he created in ALIEN with ALIEN: COVENANT, the second chapter in a prequel trilogy that began with PROMETHEUS -- and connects directly to Scott’s 1979 seminal work of science fiction. Bound for a remote planet on the far side of the galaxy, the crew of the colony ship Covenant discovers what they think is an uncharted paradise, but is actually a dark, dangerous world -- whose sole inhabitant is the "synthetic" David (Michael Fassbender), survivor of the doomed Prometheus expedition.

[​IMG]

2. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I enjoyed most of Prometheus, so I'm excited about this.

3. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Waiting patiently for the spectacle.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. tcj

tcj Senior Member

Despite hating Prometheus, I'm sure I'll wind up seeing this at some point, but I'm much more intrigued with what Blomkamp might have done with an Alien film that branched off Aliens. I've been a huge fan of the series but I don't really ever recall wondering how the xenomorph came into existence. We knew it adapted to its host. That was good enough for me. Explaining it feels like Lucas explaining the Force the prequels: unnecessary and possibly damaging to the legacy.

5. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I was pretty ambivalent about Prometheus, but will probably still see this at some point. I feel like there's been some major backpedaling by Ridley Scott on the whole Prometheus-Alien connection. I think it's pretty telling how poorly received Prometheus was by the fact that they dropped that title completely from this new film.

6. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

The problem with the name Prometheus, it is the name of a ship that got destroyed in the first film, so why use it for a sequel? If anything, Prometheus may get re-titled later as ALIEN: Prometheus just to be consistent.

altaeria, Jarleboy and Tree of Life like this.
  7. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Remember when Prometheus had "nothing" to do with the Alien films and merely took place in the same universe as them? Good one, Ridley!

Mr. H and DreadPikathulhu like this.
  8. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

9. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Even a bad Alien movie is better than a good day at the office. Or something....

Jarleboy, DHamilton, Rocat and 8 others like this.
  10. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

So what happened to Noomi Rapace?
    Hasn't she signed up for the sequel?

11. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

O' Bannon , Shusett , Giger

Scott directed , not created

weird , when i linked the IMDB
    listing it said Alien : Paradise Lost

Plan9 likes this.
  12. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

On line sources report she's in.

scotpagel likes this.
  13. spewey

spewey Senior Member

I LOVED LOVED LOVED Prometheus....

....LOVED it!!

So I can't wait!

14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'll watch it, but after the huge disappointment that was Prometheus, my expectations are low.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

Awesome! :righton:

16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes, that was the previous name (after Prometheus 2). Still a long ways off, it's scheduled for October 6 2017 at this stage.

17. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Loved Prometheus, loved the way they took the story, looking forward to this. :righton:

Gregster, Manimal, bru87tr and 3 others like this.
  18. spewey

spewey Senior Member

Hey....

Did I mention...

That I....

LOVED Prometheus!!

In fact...I'm gonna ask Prometheus to marry me...I'm going to Zales right now and get the biggest blood diamond they have.

Also....I'm looking forward to seeing this new film.

Jarleboy, Gregster, Manimal and 2 others like this.
  19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

we will love this! cool...

spewey likes this.
  20. Michael

really? I thought Prometheus was great...this may be better!

21. Michael

yea, you loved it! eh?

Manimal, CrazyCatz and spewey like this.
  22. Well Scott created the look of "Alien" with lots of support but ultimately the director is the final author of most films and, in the case of Scott, that's been proven pretty definitively. He has others help him realize that vision. Does he work in collaboration with others? Sure. Did O'Bannon create the main idea of "Alien" yep but "Alien". The script was fleshed out and developed by Walter Hill. Hill introduced a couple of major plot twists and O'Bannon worked with material provided to him by others. Actors change dialog, directors ask for rewrites. It's a collaborative format but subject to the director's vision in this case.

23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes. Because of things like the fact that pretty much every character acts in a completely idiotic and totally unbelievable way throughout the entire movie, especially those that are supposed to be scientists and then go out and break every single scientific protocol they can.

Consider this. Upon arriving at their destination, we see that the team has sophisticated mapping probes, but they charge into the alien facility without waiting for the probes to finish scanning the structure. Then discovering that there’s a breathable atmosphere inside the facility, Dr. Holloway recklessly pulls off his helmet while chiding his colleague/lover to not 'be a skeptic', because apparently skepticism is anathema to good scientists! It’s later confirmed they have no way of being sure the air isn’t full of strange pathogens, and everyone else points out that this is insane, the rest of the team nevertheless immediately follows suit when it doesn’t result in his instant death.

Then we have a biologist and a geologist freak out at the sight of dead alien bodies, despite having been willing to travel 35 light years on a perilous exploratory mission, and hasten to run back to the ship in a panic. They get lost, despite the fact that the geologist is the one with mapping expertise. This fear then evaporates as quickly as it appeared, as the biologist decides he should recklessly cozy up to a terrifying alien serpent creature. To nobody’s surprise, it quickly kills the biologist, while his geologist colleague is dissolved in black goop, only to later reappear as a zombie in a completely pointless fight scene. This is a pattern. In almost every scene, members of this handpicked group of top scientists for a trillion-dollar mission routinely make the kind of wildly irrational blunders that we strain to accept when it’s half-drunk teenagers in slasher pics. Nobody, at any time, acts remotely like a scientist.

These are the highlights that make this film unwatchable for me. I've read rumors about the behind the scenes problems on this production.

They are that Lindelof completely butchered the script that it was totally unusable, and they brought in an entire team of writers to shore it up at the last minute in order to salvage the production. A lot of money had already been spent, the project was badly behind schedule (again, thanks to Lindelof) and simply shutting it down wasn't an option.

I don't know to what extent those rumors is true, but it does have a ring of truth to me, given the results (and Lindelof's level of [in]competency).

I'm glad you asked! :)

Having said that, if Scott has more control over the script and follows on from his recent success in The Martian, then there is some reason for optimism.

24. Michael

I have yet to be disappointed in Scott...hoping you are not again.

sound chaser, coltlacey1 and spewey like this.
  25. spewey

spewey Senior Member

Hey...speaking of idiotic...someone still hasn't told me why Princess Leia didn't just EMAIL the Death Star plans to the rebels....sheeeeesh!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.