MFSL - Miles Davis - Tribute to Jack Johnson - vinyl is in!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spaulding, Nov 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi Thread Starter

2. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

KOB gets a lot more press but this album is no less a stunning achievement. The lineup is a who's who of 60s/70s jazz/fusion. I too have been waiting for this one! MFSL has been firing on all cylinders for their Miles Davis re releases... expecting on different here.

Humbuster likes this.
  3. Macman

Macman Senior Member

Great album. I only heard it for the first time a couple of months ago and it blew me away.

4. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi Thread Starter

Oh man - simply stunning sound.
    I've got an original Columbia (KC) that sounds just fine.
    But the MFSL takes it to the shed - the pressing is fantastic - Miles' trumpet coming out of the black as if from space.
    Every detail of the fuzz on the guitar playing is audible -
    an amazing listening experience.

Dmann201, Bobsblkwax and hishou like this.
  5. Spooky

Spooky Forum Resident

Probably my favorite Miles Davis album. This version should be arriving in the mail today. Can't wait.

6. Mumdad

Mumdad Forum Resident

I'd been waiting for this for quite a while but MFSL releases can be a pain to get here in Europe (at least for a not-too-painful price) so was waiting for quality reports before ordering. Unfortunately after the long wait it seems to have gone out of stock almost instantly, I didn't even see any on eBay. It's not that limited, I hope?

7. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Any idea when the SACD is coming out?

8. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Next year!

9. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Not sure I can wait that long. May have to break down and get the vinyl.

10. trumpetplayer

trumpetplayer Senior Member

He doesn't know, he's just looking for a way to be critical of MOFI.

Randy Goldberg likes this.
  11. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Ordered this from Music Direct just now, to replace my VG (at best) Columbia Masterworks 1st pressing.

They have a 10% off coupon - HOLIDAY10 - plus free shipping on orders over $49...

12. djost

djost Hyperactive!

Got my MFSL vinyl copy a couple of days ago and listening to side one right now. Was very anxious to get this partly because of what I have read about it and partly because I have never heard it. Stayed away from youtube because I wanted my first listen to be this record. All I can say is WOW! Need to flip the record over, fill up my glass and listen to side two.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  13. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Next year is 40 days away lol.;)

14. Six String

Six String Senior Member

This was definitely a game changer in the Miles canon. I wish I could say I was listening to it when it was released but I can't, but if there is anyone here who could entertain us with a story of what it felt like on release day, dropping the needle i to the groove.....please......I didn't check it out until after I had heard hos earlier music so although it wasn't as big a shock to me as someone back in the day with no warning, it was still a little bit of WTF is this? I'm on the fence as I have an original with the grey cover with car, etc. and it's not my favorite Miles album but I can certainly understand the enthusiasm. That's the way I felt about getting Sorcerer from MoFi. I hope they are equally successful with these tapes!
    I'm assuming this is not a 45 RPM pressing although ORG did that with a Coltrane title (splitting a side long track) so I don't assume anything when it comes to putting the money down.

15. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I'm looking forward to the SACD.

Didn't hear this one til a few years after it had been released, and after I had digested Filles, Bitches Brew and In A Silent Way (in that order).

It's never been my favorite, being more rock-oriented imo than any of the others I'd heard, that making it less interesting to me than the others. Rock I knew, the jazz and funk of the others was what fascinated me with the discovery of those Miles albums.

I think the recent Blu-Spec 2 CD sounds really good. I suspect the Mobile Fidelity SACD will top it.

16. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

I was in my favorite local record store yesterday and he had all the Miles Davis MOFI records but they were Test Pressings. I was too cheap to buy any though since I know MFSLs are always so hit or miss. Sounds like they did these right though! I may have to head back in there today.

17. petercl

petercl Forum Resident

Got mine yesterday, easily my favorite Miles record. The sound on this is incredible (not one click or pop), even on my lo-fi system.

djost likes this.
  18. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

;);)
    Exactly. Not sure I can wait that long;)

formu_la and cds23 like this.
  19. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Just received it, along with the KOB 45rpm box. Can't wait to open and spin it. JJ is my second fav. after In a silent way which is also amazing on MOFI vinyl.

20. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I am not knowledgeable about this album but isn't that different cover art?

21. Lonson

That's the original cover art (if memory serves. .. I think that's the original.)

22. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

I hope they do Miles Smiles and Get Up With It.

razorball likes this.
  23. mwheelerk

I was wondering. Maybe it's the CD cover art I'm familiar with. A black and white pic of Miles standing with slight arched back with horn to his mouth.

24. Lonson

25. mwheelerk

I like the original then. I'd never seen it before. I've been curious about this album but never bought it. I think I'll jump in when the SACD is available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.