‘Lost In Space’ series reboot in the works

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Oct 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Jonathan was Dr. Smith or nothing...he wasn't going to take a bit part...Special Micro Guest Star was not going to work for him...Indeed! How dare they!

2. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

Netflix made it official by ordering a season of 10 one hour episodes for production.

The writing team includes Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless (Dracula Untold, Last Witch Hunter). Prison Break’s Zack Estrin will act as showrunner. So, it doesn't fill me with confidence...

We'll have to wait until 2018 to see how it turns out.

4. Deesky

Not any longer. The new Dr Smith has now been cast and it's Parker Posey! The show is still tracking to land in 2018 with the (well received) pilot ep being directed by Neil Marshall (cv ibcludes Game Of Thrones, Constantine, Hannibal and Black Sails, and also helmed feature films Centurion, Doomsday and The Descent).

Michael likes this.
  5. Michael

omg! THAT'S HYSTERICAL!

6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Just became aware of this. I didn't think much of the old TV show and hated the movie. But I'm a big fan of Molly Parker, who is playing Maureen Robinson, so I'll give it a shot.

7. Michael

LOL! pure bliss...the crap that's on prime time today would not have even been thought of back then...it's F'n sickening what spews from the tube these days...like a virus...

8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The big question is: Are they going to go for the Dr Smith of the first couple of episodes--evil and plotting and capable--or the Dr Smith of the rest of the series, who was conniving but weak and ultimately a buffoon? I could see Parkey Posey as the former. I can't really see her as the latter.

9. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I'm really looking forward to this & I really really hope they use the same
    type of Jupiter 2. I also hope they show her off (Like the did with the Starship
    Enterprise I "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" & give her a grand launch sequence.
    I love this scene from the pilot episode "The Reluctant Stowaway":
    [​IMG]

Ginger Ale and Johnny Rocker like this.
  10. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I'd be willing to bet that it won't look much like the old Irwin Allen version. It seems that whenever one of these classic show reboots are done, the younger designers almost always want to put their own stamp on the way it looks and make it look "cool", "now", "hip", "better". If they even look at the old footage from the 1960's, they'll just laugh at it and move on. They want today's audience - not those of us who remember the actual old show.

We've got history on this one too - the movie version that changed things too. Recall the beloved robot, arguably the most popular character from the TV series, yet the new one had to look like something from a Transformers cartoon, even though they managed to get Dick Tufeld to voice it. They made Penny and Will brats, and had dynamics within the family where everyone argued with everyone else. Mind you, I actually kind of liked the LOST IN SPACE movie once I finally saw it, but in my mind it has little to do with the old TV series.

And now we've got news that Dr. Smith is now being played by a woman, so can there be ANY hope that they'd leave the ship looking like it did?

Ginger Ale and tomunbound like this.
  11. Deesky

:yikes:
    :yikes::yikes:

12. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

You mean the ship that was about 8 feet tall on the outside, yet they had to use an elevator inside? :p

13. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Yeah I'd heard all kinds of horror stories about the William Hurt film and avoided it like the plague. Then I saw a Blu-ray of it in a bargain bin and picked it up just to have fun perhaps laughing at it. And when I watched it, I found it to be an "almost" decent sci-fi film, especially when there was a bit of tampering with time at the end. I'm always a sucker for any kind of time manipulation stories. But then again, I'm easy to please...

14. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for the new series, I just got to this specific thread so I'm not sure of the outcome? Did they release it or was it or is it still on the back burner? I loved the original series, nice and campy!

15. Deesky

The best estimate so far is a premier in mid/fall of 2018.

Johnny Rocker likes this.
  16. Johnny Rocker

Thanks Deesky, any specific channel, like Sci-fi, or others?:cool:

17. Deesky

It's a Netflix show.

18. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I'm still holdi8ng onto hope. The original Jupiter 2 still looks awesome & classy to me. That simple elegant ship can be fitted with modern weaponry underneath & hidden away to maintain it's simplistic beauty. The Robinson family are heading out on a trip through space. If they suit it up with heavy artillery, they then show the Robinsons as seekers of war.. I won't like that! My opinion.

19. Steelymark

Steelymark Forum Resident

Run will Robinson RUN

20. Johnny Rocker

In deep space nobody can hear you scream. I agree war is bad, but its best to be pre-paired.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Plus space critters make for good bb-q.:cool:

21. Johnny Rocker

I'm a subscriber, thanks Deesky!:cool:

22. Johnny Rocker

I hope Penny does the groovie dance like she did back in the day.:cool:[​IMG] Its completely groovie!

23. Steelymark

Steelymark Forum Resident

Dr Smith Has Moves ,Will looks dazed and confused

klockwerk and Ginger Ale like this.
  24. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Will any of the old cast be returning?

25. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

To do what? Most of them are up there in age, especially June Lockhart (91, yay!), and a couple of them are gone, so it seems unlikely. Maybe Bill Mumy in a guest shot. He reprised his famous Twilight Zone role in 2012-Anthony all grown up. And that's a good thing. A real good thing. :sigh: So maybe they'll find something for him.

I'm mildly curious about this. If they make it pretty dark, like what Ron Moore attempted to do with the BG reboot, then I'll be interested. At any rate, I don't think Parker Posey :love: will be calling anyone a ninny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.