Who invented punk rock?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mother, Dec 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Not saying The Stones invented punk, but this track has always struck me as proto-punk, definitely moreso than anything The Kinks did. Heck, even the cover looks pretty punk.

mooseman, MHP, quakerparrot67 and 4 others like this.
  2. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

3. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Tough question and I doubt there's a definitive answer, just as who invented rock 'n roll can't be answered definitively. Big Joe Turner used to say he'd been playing rock 'n roll since 1938 and in a pretty credible sense it's hard to argue. Still, you can dig up antecedents that predict a style. There's a 'first rock record' comp that starts with some kind of recording of a 1916 church camp meeting. Maybe that's stretching it but you see my point.

Rolltide and Brian Lux like this.
  4. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

melstapler likes this.
  5. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

6. The Ramones. Everything before that is proto-punk at most.

7. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Dave Clark 5

Mal likes this.
  8. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

9. The Trashmen

Lightworker and melstapler like this.
  10. bobc

bobc Bluesman

Yeah, I'd agree that "She Said Yeah" is proto-punk in style, but the Stones were too respectful of their blues roots to have a punk attitude. "I Wanna Be Your Man" has a similar level of aggression which could be said to prefigure punk.

That Bob Dyaln's "Subterranean Homesick Blues" has something punky about it, but it's too clever for punk.

I would say the MC5, but their politics may be slightly too serious for punk.

Oh I dunno and I don't caaaaaare!

11. trumpet sounds

trumpet sounds "The radio makes hideous sounds." Bob Dylan

Sonics

MHP, Trace and davers like this.
  12. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

Simple four chord 'good time' riff. Slurred lyrics that caused controversy over alleged obscenity. Screaming before the solo. At 0:54 the drummer yells 'f**k' in the background and it got past the radar. It's got to be The Kingsmen's version of Louie Louie.

Rolltide and quakerparrot67 like this.
  13. Baby Driver

Baby Driver Forum Resident

The Stooges were proto-punk, but they had material that wasn't punk.

The Saints were the first 100% bona fide Punk Rock band. they were playing live in late '73 - several months before The Ramones (1974).

14. SebUK

SebUK Forum Resident

sam the sham

15. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Al Gore... right before he invented the Internet... ;)

havenz, xdawg and Holy Diver like this.
  16. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Look: Richard Hell. It's pretty well established.

Music and lyrics: The Stooges.

17. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Elvis Presley.

He had the attitude early on. Even invented the sneer :)

18. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Herman's Hermits

mooseman, trumpet sounds and KeninDC like this.
  19. blehman

blehman Forum Resident

I am greatly pleased that two people before me site The Sonics from Tacoma, WA. It is hard to fathom what people thought of them when they emerged in about 1960 considering that rock and roll was in something of a nadir at that point. With songs like Strychnine and Psycho they certainly almost appeared as a strange anomaly. Certainly a forefather to the movement, Iggy Pop, in 2011 interview with GQ magazine sited The Sonics as a direct influence on The Stooges. This would indicate a very clear path and pedigree as to what The Sonics meant to "punk rock" Listening to a song like Psycho, released in 1965, would indicate a very edgy band that like punk was not going to appeal to the peace and love aesthetic that is typically associated with the 1960's

Rochdale3, mooseman, Trace and 5 others like this.
  20. blueoysterdvp

blueoysterdvp Forum Resident

Love with "7+7 is"
    Music Machine
    with "Talk Talk"
    Plus other 60's garage rock bands that had songs as raw as these 2. The 2 above songs were ahead of there time. Not your average 60's pop.

21. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I never heard that before, but I would definitely classify it as punk. Besides, of course, that the song is over 3 minutes long. ;)

quakerparrot67 likes this.
  22. Crushed Butler

23. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

Music-wise...Syd Barrett and the Pink Floyd live. As evidence, listen to the proto-punk sound, especially the vocals, on this early live version of Matilda Mother, starting at 1:34:

24. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

^^^ This.

Unless you regard Punk as an attitude rather than a musical genre, in which case you could probably go back to Richard III to thank for that.

25. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Like any genre it didn't just appear out of nowhere, but I agree with Dudley above that you have to call stuff from the 60's and early 70's 'Proto Punk' at most.

So in my view the Ramones invented US Punk, the Sex Pistols UK Punk, which are two quite different things. UK Punk was far more angry and political and so had a completely different aspect to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.