‘Star Wars VII’ Will Have Major Change to Opening: No Fox Fanfare

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Nov 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

The Lord of the Rings films are also a great example of good use of a mix of practical effects and CGI (not the new Hobbit films, though, they are too CGI-heavy, in my opinion). Heck, even Phantom Menace has a pretty good mix of location shooting, models, costumed extras AND green screen / CGI compared to Episodes II and II. The later two prequels were 90% actors performing on a completely green-screened soundstage reacting to nothing. For the new films coming out, I'd like to see things tilt more back in the direction of Phantom Menace, effects-wise.

nbakid2000 likes this.
  2. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I do have to admit Disney's fanfare is beautiful. If it has to be changed, that would be the one worthy of the film.

AKA likes this.
  3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Don't forget that it was John Williams' idea to use the Fox fanfare, and Lucas received and got permission to combine the Fox logos with his own Lucasfilm Ltd. logo. And no question, it became memorable, iconic, and totally embedded into the whole mythos of the film.

One of the forgotten elements of the Star Wars saga is that Lucas went hat in hand to every studio in town in 1975, desperately trying to get them to buy his script. Disney's Ron Miller, who was head of the studio at the time, thought that Star Wars was too violent and too convoluted. Only after the movie came out did he realize what a horrendous mistake he had made, since it would have been a perfect Disney film, particularly with the toy and theme park tie-ins that it could generate. It's clear the new management is going to make up for that mistake from almost 40 years ago.

Drifter and thedudeabidz like this.
  4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And an update: here's some shots of the film cameras being used to shoot Star Wars Episode 7:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note the name of the camera above...

CoryS, driverdrummer, Robin L and 5 others like this.
  5. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Very cool.

6. Chris_G

Chris_G Well-Known Member

Hmmm...are movies still being recorded on tape??? Why aren't they using digital media to capture scenes and shots?

7. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

J.J. will only shoot on film. Same goes for Christopher Nolan.

driverdrummer likes this.
  8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

They're generally record to solid-state drives and/or high-speed CF cards. A handful of movies still shoot on film. There are some reality shows still shooting on videotape, but because those camcorders are fairly old, they're in the process of transitioning to hard drive and SSD.

Mr. Nolan has said he'll shoot on whatever will give him the highest possible picture quality. There's a rumor that Arri will have a "65mm" digital camera to demo in about 10 days, alongside its popular Alexa, but it'll be interesting to see how much it costs and when it's available.

9. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Did it feel a little weird to see a Star Wars film without the classic fanfare? Sure.

Did it detract from my enjoyment of the new movie? Not one bit. :)

Allen Michael, BGLeduc and AKA like this.
  10. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Did they use the same new fanfare as the digital releases of the saga?

11. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

No, it was just silence over the Lucasfilm, Ltd. logo. No music at all. I was curious going in as to how they would deal with it. I thought for certain that they would have Williams come up with something to replace the Fox fanfare, something in the same key as the fanfare and the Star Wars theme.

Vidiot and AKA like this.
  12. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Nothing is Pure anymore so its not really a surprise :(

13. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

They should have a 'cue' at the beginning of the film, so everyone in the audience can sing it a cappella!

Drifter likes this.
  14. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

:D

15. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Playable on your smartphone in time with Lucasfilm opening in theater, gotta love that!

And nope didn't really feel empty without it before movie began.

16. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Yeah it was strange but really the best way to go about it. No big honkin' Disney castle up right before the Lucasfilm title card. :p

BGLeduc likes this.
  17. They've already done a good job of that. This film Is so over exposed....

18. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I think having the Disney fanfare would have set the wrong tone, and Disney knew this, but I was surprised that they didn't even have just a static, silent shot of the Disney castle and logo. They paid how many billions of dollars for this franchise and then don't even tie it to their brand in the biggest way possible? Odd, but okay.

19. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I think Disney handled the opening of the movie well by keeping their logo off the film. Smart move

20. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

They get it. They checked their egos at the door and gave the fans what they wanted. They realized when they do so, it's just like printing money...

Allen Michael, sunspot42 and Bryan like this.
  21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I sang it in my head when the theater "Our Feature Presentation" title started, so that it ended in time with the Lucasfilm logo. :cool:

It's a shame that Disney and Fox couldn't have worked that out. It's just :20 seconds of music:

Somebody should just bring it in on their cellphones and play it prior to the movie starting.

22. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

When I saw the film in theaters, it was great to hear that scoring and other post-production sound continued to be done at Sony Pictures Studios here in L.A., and at Skywalker Sound in Lucas Valley.

Which brings me to this question: Have you ever been to both post-production facilities?

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I wanted to get out to visit Skywalker Sound in Nicasio, but never got around to it, even though I spent 3 months working at C Building at ILM's Kerner Optical facility in San Rafael in 2004.

I've been to Sony Pictures, Paramount, Warner Bros, Fox, and Universal's recording studios. Never been to Disney during a session. Have been to many of the smaller stages for other projects, like TV.

Vahan likes this.
  24. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I thought the silence seemed . . . odd. Also the absence of the Disney logo. But I guess Lucasfilm is a Disney brand now too, like Touchstone Pictures was.

25. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I think I was more worried about the Bad Robot logo showing up, rather than the Disney one! I think they handled it as best they could. The theater I saw it in erupted when the Lucasfilm logo appeared.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.