Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. John S

John S Forum Resident

Now:

[​IMG]

(London, 1976)

Wonderful music...never tire of this.

canzld, ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have this LP as well but have not listened to it in ages ...

3. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Jospeh Spencer, who I knew well, lived at Alan Curtis' house in North Berkeley. At the time, most of the keyboardist/conductor's posts were in Europe, Joseph sublet the house. I recorded Alan Curtis a few times, archiving for SFEMS most likely. Sad to hear of his passing.

ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  4. coopmv

Now playing the following LP from my baroque collection. The ensemble was the Chamber Orchestra of the Budapest Philharmonic Society ...

[​IMG]

Baroque, TonyACT and Wes H like this.
  5. coopmv

:righton:

6. John S

John S Forum Resident

Turns out that Boyce was deaf at about the same time in his life as Beethoven was in his.

7. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Been listening the Bach/Faust eClassical downloads. Thought to compare with few other recordings, but Faust just is so impressive that better to stick to her playing today...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

:righton:

9. coopmv

Did not even know I have an RCA Living Stereo LP in my LP collection featuring works I am actually unfamiliar with. It was probably acquired during the early "gold rush" days when I just picked up classical music recording when the price was right regardless of composers. Now playing the following LP ...

[​IMG]

I bet a few of you may be familiar with this recording and the featured works. The music may sound too modern to my ears ...

royzak2000, TonyACT, canzld and 5 others like this.
  10. coopmv

Excellent violinist! I have yet to get around to acquire these Bach recordings ...

11. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

First time spin, wow this is great. Thanks RRB.

[​IMG]

royzak2000, TonyACT and bluemooze like this.
  12. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

[​IMG]

I sincerely doubt it. Hovhaness "Mysterious Mountain" is consonant enough and smooth enough to get programmed on "New Age Radio". The Divertimento from Le baiser de la fée is Stravinsky's homage to Tchaikovsky. The Sound Quality is among the best from the "Living Stereo" years.

TimWare, sambamaster, ToddBD and 3 others like this.
  13. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

She is, like so many others, today.

I got the hirez files just for fun - had the ceedees already. Snappily tried to compare them on few occasions (through the same dac so the only difference is in the source) but unlike with orchestral music didn't noticed any difference - except the one I imagined. But that was a hasty couple of minutes experiment. Yet I'd guess redbook is enough with solo instrument works.

14. coopmv

I actually survived side A - Hovhaness "Mysterious Mountain". For almost one minute, I kept hearing that non-stop pops and clicks, which reminded me of the legendary poor RCA press quality (though I see no visible scratches on the vinyl) from the early 70's.

BTW, the SQ is indeed quite good but the press quality is not ...

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  15. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

The Hovhaness probably won't sound too modern to you. The Stravinsky might not too since it's an homage to Tchaikovsky.

I see Robin beat me to it.

16. coopmv

Both works actually are quite tolerable to me, probably much more so than thirty years ago ...

TonyACT likes this.
  17. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Listening to Ginastera: Panambi, Estancia (Complete Ballets) performed by the London Symphony Orchestra & Luis Gaeta conducted by Gisele Ben-Dor. Excellent music. I've bought a few of Ben-Dor Ginastera recordings after someone posted one of the earlier this year. Every one is great.

[​IMG]

royzak2000 and bluemooze like this.
  18. coopmv

Getting a dose of holiday spirits, now playing the following CD from my Tchaikovsky collection ...

[​IMG]

This CD is almost 81 minutes in length.

royzak2000, canzld, PH416156 and 2 others like this.
  19. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now on the turntable, record 3 from "The Flowering Of Renaissance Polyphony" performed by Pro Cantione Antiqua, London led by Bruno Turner on Archiv.

Desprez - Missa L'homme arme

[​IMG]

Donniej, royzak2000 and canzld like this.
  20. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

The smudges look like this (and again, they appear on every CD case):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. coopmv

:edthumbs::edthumbs:

22. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Didn't see this particular Boyce recording mentioned in the recent discussion, so I'll add it to the pile.
    It's a 1972 recording, issued on "The Bach Guild" record label. My first exposure to Boyce's music.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

H.C. Robbins Landon wrote an essay for the album in which he notes that Max Goberman made the first complete recording of these symphonies in the 1930's. I bet drh has that on a 78.

royzak2000, TonyACT, canzld and 2 others like this.
  23. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

The originals would be from the very early 1960's. The pressing quality probably wouldn't be all that much better. I don't see any audiophile LP pressings for this, Scott might know of one.

24. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Nope. I don't think Classic Records or Chesky ever did this one.

25. coopmv

One further observation, the LP feels a bit heavier than almost all other LP's in my collection. The back of the LP says, "RCA, New York 1958". This LP could well have been pressed in the 1960's ...