Billy Cobham "Spectrum" by Audio Fidelity

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claus, Dec 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claus

Claus Senior Member Thread Starter

bhazen, Burning Tires, FVDnz and 4 others like this.
  2. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Would've been excited by this, but the DVD-A version has served me well. Autographed by the man himself too!

3. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

Hope Steve is doing it. Sonically this should be killer - one of the few really great fusion albums that has stood the test of time and doesn't sound dated.

ti-triodes likes this.
  4. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

True, but that one's long out of print and pricey. I'll pick this AF up as long as it's surround - wonder if it will be the 5.1 mix or a vintage quad mix?

5. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Excellent - recent Audio Fidelity releases haven't been my cup of tea but I'll look forward to this.

6. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Isn't the Atlantic CD mastered by Zal Schreiber well regarded? I wonder how much it can be improved on for stereo only?

7. Claus

I don't care of the pricey DVD-A.... the original Atlantic LP is the best version IMO.

slideroni likes this.
  8. Claus

I don't like it.... compared to the LP.

9. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Great choice. Never liked the original Atlantic CD and the remaster on the recent box set was a bit compressed digitally.

10. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Nice. This is one I'm in on for sure.

11. Despite enjoying many fusion albums I have never heard this album. I have been meaning to however. Looking forward to the AF release.

Heavy Music likes this.
  12. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

This is great news! :goodie:

13. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Cool. I'm in! :)

14. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Thanks OP. I'm in!

15. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Forum Resident

Great album. Hopefully we also get a MC version. 5.1 or Quad would be the icing of the cake. :righton:

tribby2001, Ed Hughes and ti-triodes like this.
  16. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Seriously good news!

17. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

Aw yeah!

18. slideroni

slideroni Forum Resident

Glad to see this crucial album getting some attention. Tommy Bolin, Jan Hammer, and some of the most musical drum breaks ever.

19. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Fantastic album.

Ed Hughes likes this.
  20. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Great news!

21. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Enjoyed MO in the 70's and got to be a stagehand for a show of theirs. Spectrum was always one of my favorites and I've had the DVD-A for years so I probably won't be picking this up but it's tempting nonetheless. Great album. I saw the Spectrum 40 tour this fall in Natick MA. and was impressed with how Cobham could still bring it. He had a massive set, it took up half the stage and was amplified perfectly. His bandmates were ringers that I wasn't familiar with. I looked them up. His keyboard player was in the Tonight Show band and guitarist Dean Brown has been with him for a while. I don't ordinarily go for recreations of classic albums in concert, but they worked a few changes that made it sound fresh and played some unfamiliar stuff as well. Kudos. If well mastered this will be worth picking up. A musician friend says the compositions from Spectrum are musicians's favorites. Not that hard to play and a lot of fun to improvise off of.

22. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

This 4.0 quad mix of "Spectrum" (that AF are utilizing) is a 1970s mix that was never released. Very different from the DVD-A 5.1 mix.

I wonder who is mastering this and the Herbie Hancock - "Thurst" with 4.0 SACD for AF?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
    tribby2001, Ed Hughes and jsayers like this.
  23. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

The Hancock should be a quencher!

24. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I am not sure who is doing the mastering, but it is definitely the unreleased quad mix from the '70s, and it's clean and clear and amazing. Those surround fans who own the European CD-4 Demo LP "Quadraphonic Experience" have heard the track "Quadrant 4" from this unreleased mix. It contains a stereo mix in the fronts of the drums and bass, and the two solo guitars occupy each of the rear speakers individually. This gives the listener an extremely clear listen of both guitar parts - very cool if you're a guitar player or guitar fan.

ti-triodes, Plan9 and quicksrt like this.
  25. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

This sounds like a quad mix that can be enjoyed from any sitting position in the room, one that does not require listener to be in a sweet spot to hear discreet separation and enjoy it fully - providing one likes the music to begin with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.