"Making a Murderer" on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JimC, Dec 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimC

JimC Senior Member Thread Starter

This 10-episode documentary dropped on Netflix this weekend. Watched all 10 yesterday. Extraordinary. Check it out.

ceedee and dylankicks like this.
  2. Tobylab

Tobylab Active Member

I watched it over the last few days. Very interesting...and disturbing. I'm not convinced of the innocence of the persons involved, but it does raise some questions about the investigation and procedural tactics of the police and prosecutors.

D-rock and JimC like this.
  3. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Just A Flea-Bit Peanut Monkey

Finished watching it this evening and have got to say that it's one of the best things that I've watched all year. Would recommend it to anyone. Hard to comprehend that some of the things depicted in it could happen in this day and age.

4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I saw the first few minutes before I knew this isn't the type of show for me.

5. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

Watched it all in less than 24 hours. Riveting, though it does lag a bit once the trial starts. Good for folks who enjoyed THE JINX or the PARADISE LOST series.

psychtrailmix, Jamey K and JimC like this.
  6. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I was wondering were my posts/comments were on this until I realized there were two threads about it.

7. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I just finished episode 4, and my wife and 30yo son, are also watching it. We can't believe there are 11 episodes in all on this topic. It seems like it could wrap up in one or two more, but then there is another plot twist. Watching it is kind of like
    s l o w i n g down as one drives by a fatal car crash -- something horrible happened, but the fascination factor keeps one from turning away and looking the other direction.

Not a lot of noble characters to be found -- perhaps substitute "any" for "a lot of". Statements and/or accusations are being made about allegedly perpetrators and their relatives, as well as the criminal justice system (esp. police and judiciary).

At this point, after only four episodes, I must say that the portrayal of the criminal justice system is stunning. We all have heard beforehand of shoddy investigations, false coerced confessions, prosecutorial misconduct, and bizarre rulings by judges. But in the words of that BTO classic hit, "you ain't seen nuthin' yet" until you view this TV series, where all these things happen over and over again throughout a single, protracted nightmare in Manitowoc County, Wisconsin.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
    JimC and wayneklein like this.
  8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

As law biding citizens we're supposed to walk into these courtroom in awe and reverence for these judges, lawyers and cops. I say pi$% on them. They're just as much f-ups as any other human on the planet. They can be bought, manipulated, fooled, and influenced. Luckily I've always stayed out of their grasp, but they can all go to hell -- as well as the miserably judicial system which the wealthy can run free of and poor have to suffer the indignities of -- under the hand of these bloated, self-important bureaucrats.

9. Watching the miscarriage of justice in the way this investigation was handled is dumbfounding. The fact that police officers would still act this way with a suspect--particularly a suspect like an under aged 16 year old. I'm not suggesting that either one of them are guilty or not but the way the police led a 16 year old with an IQ under 70, the whole story that the police put together is suspect. The attorney for Brendan (the 16 year old) trying to get him to take a plea was not in the best interest of his client. His attorney wouldn't even meet with Brendan's mother or return her phone calls and tried to get him to sign a pleas without discussing it with his mother. The whole story stinks and is an example of a massive miscarriage of justice on every level from obtaining evidence to the lack logic IN that evidence (they were suggesting that Avery wore gloves so he didn't leave any prints and then carelessly allowed blood to somehow be left behind). The issue with the tampering of the blood vial just was icing on the cake for a trial that clearly should never have taken place.

The level of incompetence is astonishing.

rburly, ceedee, dylankicks and 3 others like this.
  10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks for the tip...

JimC likes this.
  11. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Started watching it tonight. Don't know how this is going to be 10 ep long but I'm in.

JimC likes this.
  12. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I watched the first six eps last night. Trouble is I started at 10 pm :eek:

Scope J and mrjinks like this.
  13. Voodoo Child

As I was watching it and some new revelation would occur regarding Police procedures or evidence, I would think to myself "well surely this must be the end of the case now" only to then remind myself that there's still another 6, 5, 4 episodes left, but how can it possibly continue...

JimC likes this.
  14. bartels76

Right!

Voodoo Child likes this.
  15. Once you see the end, well, it left me with my mouth hanging so wide my wife had to use a crane to close it again.

Voodoo Child likes this.
  16. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

It does manage to give new twists and revelations, right up to the last episode.

17. ceedee

ceedee Forum Resident

binged watched this a few weeks ago when it came out. made me really angry. this guy at the very least deserves a retrial and his compensation case should be reassessed - i.e. being forced to settle for $400K rather than the $35m he was originally suing for. however, the film-makers had a perspective and i wouldn't want to believe any side really - so that is why i would like to see a retrial in a neutral state (far away from Wisconsin)

Rubber65, wayneklein and Voodoo Child like this.
  18. I agree but it is odd that the police officer they had on the stand thst reportedly had a grudge against Steven calling giving the dispatcher the missing car's license plate number before it was found and confirming that it was, indeed, the missing vehicle suggests that the car was found before it was discovered on the junkyard lot. There's too many odd things like Steven not leaving any fingerprints and yet he left blood behind that just don't gel.

D-rock and ceedee like this.
  19. ceedee

ceedee Forum Resident

totally agree, but i don't think a documentary should determine a man's guilt or innocence. really this needs a retrial as i said so the truth can be uncovered.

20. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I'm only three episodes in and this is a really disturbing series. I don't want to read too much here for fear of spoilers, but I have a good idea of what the outcome is going to be. Making a Murderer has been garnering quite a bit of press and public outrage from what I've read. Really good show, so far.

21. Voodoo Child

I find it a little sad when we refer to something like this as a "show" and the people depicted in at as "characters".
    Not meant as a criticism of anybody in particular just that I've noticed a lot of people use those types of words when discussing this documentary.

22. bartels76

23. skyjelly

skyjelly Forum Resident

A must-watch documentary.
    We rarely binge watch in our house, preferring instead to watch multi-episode things that we decide we like over the course of a week or two. It saves us from having to look for something else to watch too soon that we can agree on, and it gives us time to savor what we watch. This was a real exception. we watched all ten episodes in 3 consecutive evenings last week. A week later and we are still talking, and arguing, about it because it's disturbing for many different reasons, and on many different levels. I've been telling friends to watch it, and pointedly avoiding telling them anything about it. It's something that needs to be watched with as little foreknowledge as possible.
    Some are criticizing it for being biased, but how could it not be when the film makers followed the family for so long? However, the takeaway from this shouldn't be whether Avery and Dassey are guilty or innocent (which is an ongoing debate in our house). It should be, as Attorney Strang mentions in the documentary, how the total absence of a presumption of innocence perverts justice.

Voodoo Child and bartels76 like this.
  24. bartels76

This was a perfect New Years weekend thing to binge watch. I'm glad I did as I want to be done with it as I probably would've thought about it all week or started reading articles on it. I'm still disturbed by it.

25. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I think Avery's toast at this point unless something happens magically with EDTA testing. Brendan otoh shouldn't be anywhere near a prison. They need to get him out of there before he explodes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.