Petition launched to reintroduce Technics turntables (Update: The SL-1200 is Back!)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by englishbob, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

A bonus feature, like the ability to play 78s, which aren't exactly "hi-fi" either.

PhilBiker likes this.
  2. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I think they do a pretty good job establishing that the 1200 series was designed for high fi use but also adopted by DJs. I don't think there's any reason for them to omit a feature that had been on the table for so long just to prove its not just for DJs.

56GoldTop likes this.
  3. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I just got the Audio Technica PL120 last year. I should have waited. I blame myself.

4. spindashblue

spindashblue Well-Known Member

It's also useful for playing back off-speed pressings like side 1 of Kind of Blue.

Shak Cohen and 56GoldTop like this.
  5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Not sure if serious.

6. sportzdad

sportzdad Well-Known Member

any guesses on msrp? I'm thinking 1495$.

7. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

I agree with that 100,000%, but it could have just been +/- 8%, right? It appears that the M5G also had +/- 16% pitch adjustment but it was digital...is this pitch adjustment digital??

8. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Some might consider this to be Pollyanna-ish, but I think the reintroduction of the 1200 is exciting news for the vinyl resurgence because it's the one audiophile-level table I could see my non-audiophile friends actually aspiring to own (even if just for the "cool" factor). The 1200 is probably the only hi-fi table that's still an icon with regular people. Hopefully the $900 SRP mentioned above is true, because it could mean these puppies might get down to the $500 range on sale (like black-Friday), a price average people would consider spending. If anything, this could be the spark that reignites 2-channel hifi for the masses.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I think you're right. I read somewhere there was some advantage to that larger range but I forget what it is now

10. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

The pitch adjustment has nothing to do with playing 78s. It looks like you engage both the 33 and 45 buttons to play 78s.

panasoffkee likes this.
  11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I

I really hope that $900 is in the ball park!

Aftermath and rischa like this.
  12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

What!? It plays 78's! This news just keeps getting better and better!

Aftermath likes this.
  13. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

Well as a DJ I can say it is clearly for a greater range of mixing possibilities, matching songs with a difference in BPM beyond 8%.

14. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Why wouldn't he be? It's like how I wanted a Koetsu signature but already bought an AT95 so oh well.

dmckean likes this.
  15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Hey this is a little like winning the lottery. Who thought it was going to actually happen? I haven't been this excited about an audio product in many many years

Regarding playing 78s by pressing the 45 and 33 button at the same time, it just dawned on me for the very first time that 45+33 = 78! I wonder what the reason behind that is!?

Dino and PhilBiker like this.
  16. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

I'm hopeful for as cheap a price as possible (duh), but before they announced the discontinued production I'm pretty sure Mk5's were going for something like $550 new off the shelf, so I would expect it to be higher than that. (Hopefully under $1,000 for the regular model! :rolleyes:)

gss likes this.
  17. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

Pre-Amp?

18. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

He bought a $250 table? Even if you sell it, you'd be out what, $100 loss? To replace with a $1500+ table in 8 months?

EDIT: ah I see your sarcasm there ;) Wasn't familiar with the AT95.

Rolltide likes this.
  19. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

And from the specs posted - RCA output terminal jacks...no included cheapy cord.

2xUeL and Ghostworld like this.
  20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Saw that! Fantastic!

2xUeL likes this.
  21. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

My bad. Thanks.

22. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

Sorry for the confusion. I was speaking specifically to the fact that it's 16 instead of 8. If it's for home use, I don't really understand why they had to make the pitch adjustment so high. Maybe because the GAE is going to be very similar to the G and the G has +/- 16% and the G will be expected to be bought and used by DJs?

23. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

It's good news, anyway.

Licorice pizza likes this.
  24. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

Probably the best news of the year.

Ghostworld likes this.
  25. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

Do we have a list of the differences between the G and the GAE yet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.