Alice In Chains

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wasatch, Dec 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover! Thread Starter

Has anyone heard if these 2 LPs will be remastered anytime soon? Facelift, and Self Titled.

2. Wasatch

Nothing?

3. éder

éder Forum Resident

I hope so .. but i've not heard anything..

Wasatch likes this.
  4. éder

éder Forum Resident

@Wasatch what do you think of the new alice in chains with william duvall ?
    I am not a big fan to be honest.. for me AIC died with Layne staley.

5. Wasatch

Definitely not the same, but I still like AIC. Big fan of Jerry Cantrell, to me he is AIC.

DrewHarris, Clanceman, junk and 2 others like this.
  6. éder

éder Forum Resident

Well i agree that Jerry is the driving force of AIC but Layne had such a unique and amazing voice. I still like them too but not half as much as the old Alice..
    Saw them twice in '93 .. they were brilliant.

junk likes this.
  7. Wasatch

Your definitely right, Layne had an awesome voice. Layne and Chris Cornell to me definitely stood out more than any other singer's in that time frame, and beyond.

junk, painted8 and éder like this.
  8. éder

éder Forum Resident

Yeah totally agree - But Cornell considering how great he is on record was/is hit and miss live for some reason..
    I am a big soundgarden fan but my favourite album of Cornell is his debut solo album euphoria morning.. i love that record.
    Staley, Cornell, Weiland and mike Patton are my fave rock vocalists of that era in that order.

I've just brought an AIC live cd - the L.A broadcast from 1990.. god they were great !! But its hard to believe how much Layne had deteriorated by the time of the tripod album and the mtv unplugged.

9. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

This is coming from a HUUUUGE Pearl Jam fan ---- AIC were the best of the bunch. By far.

Clanceman, tmtomh, junk and 5 others like this.
  10. éder

éder Forum Resident

I loved Ten but i seemed to lose interest in pearl jam after Vs for some reason... vedder was also a great vocalist.. Black is one of my favourite songs.
    If you think AIC were the best by far then why are you not a HUUUUGE AIC fan? !! lol

junk, Parkertown and Erik B. like this.
  11. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

because in my mind PJ is still a viable entity -- releasing new material and having relevant tours, whereas AIC is somewhat of an artifact.

benzo, junk, Parkertown and 1 other person like this.
  12. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Will DuVall has brought new life to Alice In Chains, literally. When AIC was asked to play at the VH1 Herat tribute management wanted a 'name' singer, but Jerry and the band wanted Will. Jerry had used Will's band Comes With The Fall as his backing (and opening!) band for the Degradation Trip tour and knew what he could do. Layne was unique, but even by his own admission a bit erratic live. Will pays tribute to Layne without copying him and has the blessing of the Staley family.

He's a Hell of a nice guy to boot. Check out Comes With The Fall if you get a chance. They managed to do some pretty great things all by themselves.

DrewHarris, Clanceman, ARK and 4 others like this.
  13. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

That's kind of ironic since my own personal love of Pearl Jam has declined over the past few years for the very opposite reason - substandard new albums and tours that feel like they're going through the motions. I'm probably an equal fan of both bands (with a slight edge to AIC) but I get far more play/enjoyment out of "Black Gives Way to Blue" and "The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here" than "Backspacer" and "Lightning Bolt".

CopTheRiotAct, junk, agundy and 3 others like this.
  14. éder

éder Forum Resident

Layne staley nearly always delivered live before his decline... easily the best rock voice i have heard live and seen in the flesh..

vinylphile, Fullbug and junk like this.
  15. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Unplugged, definitely on my wish list.

Erik B., junk and Clonesteak like this.
  16. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

Why wold the first two albums need to be remastered? They sound fine.

I saw AIC with Duvall in 2013, it was awesome. One of the bests shows I have seen.

searing75, Clanceman and wdiv like this.
  17. Wasatch

Actually the first album is "Dirt", the last studio album is the Self Titled with the 3 legged dog. If you read my post right, I'm looking for the remaster's (LPs) when/if they becoming available, the originals (Again LPs) are hard to come by and very expensive. I have the CDs already. To me, the remastered LPs sound way better/different then the CDs.

18. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

I saw them in 2010 with Duvall & that was a great show. Black Gives Way to Blue was an incredible album... classic AIC. The follow-up album was a big disappointment for me. Hopefully they didn't use up all of the magic on the first "reunion" album. Both Cantrell solo albums are excellent too, they don't get anywhere near the attention that they deserve.

19. NearysEpiphany

NearysEpiphany Forum Resident

I have Face Lift, Dirt and Jar Of Flies original CD pressings, and they all three sound awesome. I never got around to picking of the self-titled album, I had moved on by that point.

What are the opinions here? Good album? Worth picking up?

Clanceman likes this.
  20. Wasatch

I have both, but the Degradation Trip - Volumes 1 & 2 (Enhanced) is some heavy ****.

21. Wasatch

SAP is pretty good also. The self-titled is very good, both are worth having.

Clanceman, junk and NearysEpiphany like this.
  22. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Definitely. You can find it on the cheap, too

23. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

It's like DIRT cheap on Amazon. Of course! I actually like that album a lot.

http://www.amazon.com/Alice-Chains/...id=1453868791&sr=1-4&keywords=alice+in+chains

Erik B. likes this.
  24. éder

éder Forum Resident

The first album is Dirt ? Dirt was the second album

Clanceman, ARK, junk and 3 others like this.
  25. ifihadafish

ifihadafish Forum Resident

Was just about to reply to say Dirt is their second album. Took me ages to get into it - so much so I hated them playing songs from Dirt on that tour and only enjoyed the Facelift songs. I found Layne under a table in our rock club afterwards - just a total mess. I don't think that helped my opinion of Dirt at the time either. I love it now though (took about 15 years for it to click with me!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.