Nilsson's PussyCats album *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Greg Smith, Jan 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

The fact that there even is a word filter is pretty ridiculous.

2. elgoodo

elgoodo Forum Resident

Censorship is dumb. We're all adults, are we not?

3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

When I first saw the thread title, I figured the album title was, "**** Cats." I like my title better.

4. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Thread title wise, I had the same problem when I made a thread about Russian band, ***** Riot!

ChristopherTeuma likes this.
  5. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

I love this group of albums, all recorded in 1974, they seem like they belong together in a box set:

P-cats
    Walls and Bridges
    Goodnight Vienna
    Two Sides of the Moon

6. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

I for one could NOT believe it when I saw ***** cats written as p**** cats on this site before and now again on this forum!!! How bloody uptight are you lot?
    It's one thing to censor language which could be construed as profane or degrading but to assume that using an actual album title or even referring to a domesticated animal is in some way "really referring to a part of the female anatomy is beyond belief.
    I know...bring it on Gorts......
    Edit: ah it's automated conservatism. Neat.
    Edit 2: how come we can say Revolting Cocks and nothing happens?

7. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Would a Gort step in here and make the title one word so we will stop snickering??

8. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

They could call it the Party Box. :)

Fortuleo and johnny moondog 909 like this.
  9. teag

teag Forum Resident

Pussyfooting around.

10. helter

helter Forum Resident

Welcome to Mr Rogers neighborhood !;)
    I like the album in question a lot .....it has aged well IMO

Guy Smiley likes this.
  11. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Forum Resident

I love the album, but half of it seems like filler.
    I love Black Sails, Many Rivers to Cross, Mucho Mungo, Old Forgotten Soldier, Don't Forget Me, and I could live without the rest of it..

ChristopherTeuma and bagofsoup like this.
  12. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Most of us, I guess. Not the kids sitting on Dad's lap. All software packages have a word censor. It's obvious why. :)

Hey, we're not uptight at all. We choose to try and be a family friendly forum. It's an alternative to other places on the intranet. If you want to cuss and swear and attack people, there are places where you can do it elsewhere.

Again, it's the software. There's around 12 words in there, if people can't communicate by avoiding those 12 words, they have more serious problems they should be addressing. This is a music forum, not a locker room.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/forum-policies.303291/

13. helter

helter Forum Resident

[​IMG] Harry autographed my album in 1982 does anyone know what he wrote at the bottom middle of the cover
    Looks like R " G but I don't really know ......must have some kind of meaning? [​IMG]

14. elgoodo

elgoodo Forum Resident

He's spelling out the inside joke. Look at the D and the S. Put the letters RUG in the middle. I'd type it out but that word is probably censored here too. (Harry signed mine the same way, bless him.)

15. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I came into the album as a Lennon fan, and I knew off the bat that it is not the best portrait of ol' Harry.

That said, I find it a pretty good album! As I recall, it was, in it's early stages, supposed to be a covers album. In the end, Harry writes or co-writes half of it. And I'd say three of those five are very strong: the haunting Black Sails, the fun Mucho Mungo/Mt. Elga, and the all around powerful Don't Forget Me. And all the covers work well too. Again, I knew better than to expect a pristine sounding Nilsson singing here, but even so he still knocks these songs out of the park. From the little that I've explored of his career, I think the damage to his voice is more evident after this album.

16. bagofsoup

bagofsoup Forum Resident

I love the same songs. "Don't Forget Me" is one of my fav Nilsson tracks ever.

17. helter

helter Forum Resident

Bless you ...it only took me 34 years to learn :tiphat:

18. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Looks like this young lady isn't welcome as a member here :whistle:!
    [​IMG]

Fullbug, helter, teag and 1 other person like this.
  19. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I remember buying it when it as first released and being appalled that either him or Mr Lennon would put out anything so horrid.
    The only one thing I can say is good about it is thank God yoko wasn't yodeling
    Seems I read years ago that the reason he sounds so terrible on the album is because he tried to sing while he had a serious cold.

20. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

In the documentary "Who Is Harry Nilsson And Why Is Everybody Talking About Him?" I believe explains this period. Harry had a voice ailment of some sort. But didnt tell anyone. He got in some shout singing match with John and the few who witnessed it stated that the microphone literally had spatterings of blood on it afterwords. While this probably wasnt the only vocal abuse Harry placed on that wonderful instrument (cocaine aint good for the voice either); Id imagine it was the straw that broke the vocal cords back.

I think Harry, not to mention John, was a very self destructive person. Get the idea he just didnt think he deserved the "gift". Beautiful but rather sad life at times it seems.

21. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

If that documentary is a video, I have it on a puter here somewhere and have seen it.
    I don't remember that part of it, but you could be right. But I do remember reading an interview with someone associated with the album years ago that said he had a bad cold. Perhaps that was the spin at the time.
    Either way, his performance on the album is a travesty and certainly not up to the amazing performances he had been doing for years prior.
    It is really sad these two guys got together at a low point rather than at a peak.
    The mutual respect they had alone should have been the makings of a masterpiece.

22. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

He didn't have a "bad cold". He was destructive and was trying to impress his friend. He did permanent damage to his voice during these sessions.
    That being said (let's STOP the kitty memes and fixation on the word), the album is 50/50 for me. Some GREAT songs, and some okay songs.
    I really like the Flying Saucer outtake from this album. The conversation that he carries with himself is hilarious and I have no idea how he did it. He obviously overdubbed his lines, but his responses and the timing is amazing. Good stuff!

Chippoh likes this.
  23. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Well, I dont know if it was a cold or pharyngitis or what; but John in an interview mentions that Harry had some sort of a throat condition that he failed to tell anyone he had. That probably made the abuse he put on his throat even worse. But I agree, it wasnt simply a bad cold that caused him to sound like that on the album. Harry ruined his voice by pushing it way beyond its limits. As if he wanted to shred it. Purposely? Madly in a drunken/stoned lost weekend? I dont know. But seems to me he had some sort of wish to self destruct.

Either way...what a thing to do.

24. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Mixed feelings about this album. One of Harry's albums that I listen to less often, mainly because of how strained his vocals sound, and knowing he shred them dying the recording.
    It's heart-breaking to listen to some of the performances.

Having said that, Don't Forget Me is very poignant. A couple of odd lyrics, but it's always the song I think of first on the anniversary of Nilsson's passing.

25. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I like the chaos of Rock Around the Clock, the total goofiness of Loop de Loop, the Dylan cover, and the Mucho Mungo medley
    The quad mix was different

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.