Movies You Love That No One Else Does.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wayneklein, Nov 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

[​IMG]

Heh.

Michael likes this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I liked it!

3. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

The 10th Victim (1965), Marcello Mastroiani, Ursula Andress; Italian Pop Art/New Wave(?) cinema of the absurd about reality TV(!) violence in a near future (one which looks exactly like 1965). Great Rome sets/locations and "futuristic" designer clothes. Loads of fun, and an obvious inspiration for Austin Powers.

The Guru
    (1968), Michael York, Rita Tushingham, Uptal Dutt, Madhur Jaffrey. Merchant-Ivory tale set in India, very loosely inspired by George Harrison's time studying with Ravi Shankar. A sweet, and slightly silly, Sixties fairy tale.

Duffy (1967), James Coburn, Susannah York, James Mason, James Fox. Psychedelic crime caper flick, set in the Mediterranean, with Coburn cast as a retired hipster with mysterious past (Navy SEAL? CIA?) recruited by brothers to help hijack tycoon dad's ship and cash for ... kicks, man.

Alice In Wonderland (1966), Anne-Marie Malik, Michael Redgrave, John Gielgud, Leo McKern, Peter Sellers, Peter Cook, Alan Bennett, etc. etc. ...
    B&W(!) BBC adaptation of the Lewis Carroll classic, filmed during the hot summer of 1966, soundtrack by Ravi Shankar! As you may guess, the feel of the thing is woozy and hallucinogenic. One can almost sense the Beatles nearby in London, making Revolver ...

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  4. The Absent-Minded Flaneur

The Absent-Minded Flaneur Forum Resident

The catchily-titled Museum Hours, produced by Patti Smith and directed four years ago by her friend Jem Cohen.

An Austrian security guard and a Canadian visitor, both well on in life, meet in a Vienna art gallery. Nothing really happens. It's a film about slowing down and looking: just looking at pigeons on wires, paintings by Bruegel and Memling, cigarette butts in the gutter, trains in the snow, faces in the street.

It's a meditation on seeing the world around us.

[​IMG]

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

GREAT movie. I imported the soundtrack! I'd watch that with you any day. I based my life of Marcello Mastroiani in that movie. He's the ultimate slacker! I love the scene where they're repossessing is furniture and all he cares about is his comic books collection. One of my favorite quotes from the the movie, is one of his droll comments; he's such an existentialist: "I'm famous for not talking to people." I used to use that all the time. Ha!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
    bhazen likes this.
  6. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

Love And Other Drugs

Chris DeVoe and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  7. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I watched this movie about 3 weeks ago and I still think only the 2nd half of this film is very good. The first half is ok.
    But watching it again, I would reassess Hayden Christensen performance in it. I think he stunk in Attack of the clones but he's pretty good in this film
    ----------------------------
    I also agree with Click -Adam Sandler. It got terrible reviews and Amazon's rating of it is poor but I liked it.
    ------------------------------------------
    Black Knight -Martin Lawrence Another film with terrible reviews but I think is very funny. The only film of his I like

8. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Magic
    S.O.B.
    Personal Best
    The Survivors
    Deal Of The Century
    Pennies From Heaven
    Garbo Talks
    The Hotel New Hampshire
    Into The Night
    52 Pick Up
    Armed And Dangerous
    Quick Change
    Cadillac Man

Comet01 and Miriam like this.
  9. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

Subtitled Movies have never bothered Me, I enjoy all sorts.. but some of my friends won't watch a Movie if not in English?..

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  10. I love The Invention of Lying. A real original.

Michael and wayneklein like this.
  11. Miriam

Miriam Forum Resident

Dracula: Dead and Loving It (1995) by Mel Brooks

12. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Caveman starring Ringo, Barbara Bach, Dennis Quaid and Shelley Long. Back in high school, I saw this with my brother and my parents and we were all laughing our asses off throughout the entire movie. There were like only 4 other people in the show and you didn't even hear one giggle or peep out of them (I think one person got up in the middle of the movie and left.) I think we might have gotten a dirty stare or two from them after the show. Other people who I knew who saw it, also hated the movie. Also, I remember we recommended the movie to friends and relatives who we thought had similar tastes. But after they saw it, they thought it sucked and questioned us on why we thought they would like it.

[​IMG]

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I thought that movie was a massive disappointment - briefly funny but it capsizes under the weight of its own lack of logic/consistency. From my review:

"This world’s characters don’t seem honest – they come across as blithely mean. There’s a difference between telling the truth and offering every thought that enters one’s mind. The people here say everything they think; why can’t they keep some of that to themselves? Lying forces its characters to air every thought. That’s funny for the 10 minutes I mentioned, but it never makes any sense; simply not saying what one thinks isn’t actually the same as lying.

And why does a world without lying seem to equal a world without compassion or emotions? It’s like a planet of Forrest Gumps, though without his strong moral code. People just look out for themselves and do nothing to help others. What does that have to do with honesty? And why do they have to come across as so damned stupid? Does incessant truthfulness kill one’s IQ?"

14. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

I have an obsessive love for this terrible Italian "Star Wars" cash-in from 1978.
    I suspect it may have something to do with the sight of Caroline Munro in a leather space bikini. :D

Great Bad Movies: "Starcrash" (1978)
    [​IMG]

BadJack likes this.
  15. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I love SOB, but the end drags a bit. Robert Preston walks off with the movie
    I once read that Irving thought HNH was the closest a movie came to capturing his books. If you can get past the way incest is treated cavalierly, it's a wonderfully odd movie full of great moments.
    It took awhile to get the wife to see it, but she sobbed heavily when it was done. "you were right, it is wonderful." whew.

16. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

I don't know if this movie is particularly disliked, but I seem to remember it getting mixed reviews or a muted reception at the time, I really liked it - K-PAX.

The Hud likes this.
  17. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Barbara Loden's down & dirty film noir WANDA (1971). I wish she had directed a dozen more films as good as this one.

Miriam likes this.
  18. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

The 10th victim is great. The blu-Ray looks very nice (if perhaps a little too digital sharp).

I'm surprised it's never been adapted into s TV series by Netflix or other. I think the concept would make for an interesting series.

Mr Bass, Uncle Miles and bhazen like this.
  19. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

20. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I like this movie too. It's not high art, but it is just funny.

Miriam likes this.
  21. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

C0me on. A LOT of people like Godfather III. There are just also a lot who don't, but that's hardly a dog.

I enjoy both of those.

22. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

It made sense to me. It was not only a world without lying - it was a world without fiction. None of these people had ever grown up with stories that taught them how to understand anyone else's point of view or how to be tactful and develop diplomacy. It didn't kill anyone's IQ, but it did kill their empathy. Lying serves an actual purpose in development.

My problem with the movie was that the whole thing fell apart in the final act where everyone had to have a happy Hollywood cliché chick flick ending. I sat through an hour and a half of philosophical discourse on the nature of "what if?" only to be told that I was supposed to care if these people ended up together at the end?? She's supposed to look past his physical appearance and lack of money because he's so wonderful within, but no one could be bothered to write anything about Jennifer Garner's character except how everyone thinks she's beautiful.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

But IIRC, it made everyone out to be really happy with their lives, which makes no sense. If people say nasty comments to you all the time, why are you so freakin' happy about it?

I think you're giving the filmmakers too much credit for the "world without fiction" conceit anyway. I think they came up with the "world without lying" concept and didn't care that they stretched it for cheap jokes...

24. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I absolutely love Caveman. One of my favorite comedies as a kid. Atook alonda Lana. Atook, Lana, zug zug!
    I'm with you on this one. Stella Starcrash was hot! This is a Roger Corman flick, right? I know I have the blu-ray.

Morton LaBongo and keefer1970 like this.
  25. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

There is a 1981 sci-fi movie called Lifepod. It was very derivative of 2001, but I like the detail they went into the set for the lifepod.
    It does not compare with 2001, but has its own charms.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.