Nilsson's PussyCats album *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Greg Smith, Jan 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elgoodo

elgoodo Forum Resident

My signed copy is the Quad mix!

Mt.Elga and funknik like this.
  2. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

He sounds good on most of the songs.. so I can forget that.

Guy Smiley likes this.
  3. drasil

drasil Former Resident

is it wild, like the quad of Nilsson schmilsson?

there's a video on youtube of 'don't forget me' in quadraphonic (folded to stereo, obviously), and it sounds very straightforward, so I'm guessing not.

(actually, even that fold-down sounds clearer than the stereo mix, so maybe they used the quad as a way to open things up. I'd be interested in hearing that, too, even though the murkiness is a crucial part of the record for me.)

4. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Have the original vinyl & the cd. Haven't listened for a while, I recall thinking Many Rivers To Cross was good.

5. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

yea, it's pretty wild. SHBlues has a very cool horn chart that was cut out Rock Around the Clock goes to a cold ending. Those are the two I really remember.
    Also, that Mucho Mungo just sounds really warm and sweeter

Mt.Elga, Shawn and drasil like this.
  6. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Despite the received wisdom that Harry permanently ruined his voice during these sessions, if you listen to the albums that followed -- which were largely ignored upon release -- you'll find that while he no longer had the schoolboy purity of 1967-68 (drinking and smoking alone would have put paid to that), his vocals are much much better than they are here.

7. Raider4life

Raider4life Forum Resident

Dick is good. ***** is bad. What is this world coming to?

Guy Smiley and teag like this.
  8. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

With the exception of Ms. Galore, ***** is an uncommon name. But if we couldn't talk about, say, American Bandstand host **** Clark or the swell new Australian band **** Diver, that would suck donkey ****.

Guy Smiley likes this.
  9. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

I have liked it since release and think the songs suit the state of his voice at the time. I particularly like some of the oldies like Many Rivers and Last Dance.

10. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

A perfect disc to get the AF 4.0 treatment. The quad mix sounds like an entirely different album (a better one).

Mt.Elga, kronning, Shawn and 4 others like this.
  11. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I'd buy it for sure ... and it's nowhere near my favorite Nilsson album to boot!

12. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

It's taken me a long time to come to peace with this album. I loved Harry and John and couldn't wait to play it. The sound of Harry's voice devastated me. I was mad at John for having a hand in destroying the greatest voice I knew. I've slowly warmed to it through the decades. I would love to hear the quad version of this and Nilsson Schmilsson.

13. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Posters have called each other the p-word in arguments here? Wow, that sounds so....standoff in a New Jersey bar-ish. Springsteen fans? :)
    I like the album.

14. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I was a Lennon fan in the early 70,s and already had a couple of Harry albums prior to ***** Cats. I was disappointed with the album then and still am now although later albums are even weaker in terms of overall content. Having said that I still wish Harry had recorded more. I have never heard the quad mix but will try and track down a needle drop from somewhere.
    Favourite track is Don't Forget Me.

15. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

"PussyCats" has it's moments, but it is easily one of my least favorite albums by Nilsson.

16. Reader

Reader Senior Member

I like the whole album. Nilsson's voice sounds shot but that's how it was. "Many Rivers To Cross" is incredible. With Nilsson's voice being so ragged who is singing towards the end of the song? Sounds like Lennon, sounds like Nilsson.

Has his voice gone downhill by this time or could it just have changed? I like all the different voices he used over his entire career. Life changed his voice and I'm glad he didn't quit singing at that time. All the later albums are different compared to his 60's recordings but they are just as valid. You either like them or you don't. For my taste the later work is more emotional than the early albums. I don't know enough about his personal life to understand what he really went through that made him stop singing completely. I know all the stories and myths but who really knows? Probably his wife.

Pussycats is actually one of my favorite Nilsson albums. He sounds weary. Maybe he was. If you can enjoy current Dylan work or any Tom Waits how can you not enjoy some rough voiced Nilsson? He was still good old Harry. Only my opinion.

Guy Smiley and drasil like this.
  17. downer

downer Senior Member

Oi!

[​IMG]

18. Filou

Filou Well-Known Member

Not my favorite but a better album than what people use to say.

First, there are great songs (with great voice) like Don't Forget Me or All My Life and some songs that sounds good (maybe better) with Old Forgotten Soldier or Save The Last Dance For Me (even if the demo with his good voice is so fantastic).

I think the production don't serve Harry. Maybe Lennon was not a very good producer. And when you hear the 8-track cartridge reproduced islolated tracks, you get a clearer sound and discover a lot of things in this album. Try to get those things and you'll be surprised. Maybe there are different jobs made from the 8-track cartridge. Sorry this album was not reissue with that kind of clear sound. Maybe we could ask Giles Martin to do Pepper job on PussyCats? ;-)

Chippoh likes this.
  19. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Never heard the isolated tracks but would like to. I'm in for all versions of Nilsson's work.

I'm hoping that some label will start digging into his unreleased material and release everything.

drasil likes this.
  20. Chippoh

Chippoh Senior Member

As stated many times before, find the Quad mix of ***** Cats and you'll hear a different approach to this music.

Both mixes should be made available!

What is meant by isolated tracks...really...?...On the eight track cartridge?...Hmmm...

21. drasil

drasil Former Resident

I think Filou meant that s/he believes the 8-track may have been mixed differently than the LP release, and was referring to the individual songs on it--not tracks isolated from a multitrack recording.

22. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I love Harry but I can't even listen to this album anymore. I still remember how shocked I was when I first listened to it. I was so psyched that two heroes of mine were working together. I was devastated at what they did to his voice.

23. Drotz1

Drotz1 Forum Resident

OK, but I do not pay for it

Sean likes this.
  24. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

Despite loving Harry's early albums for many years, I had never listened to this album until about four years ago when I read a bunch of praise and articles about it suddenly being considered vastly underrated. I tracked it down and, well, I think its original reputation was more correct. The sheer level of talent involved in this recording is just not reflected in the grooves.

25. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I enjoy the album quite a bit. Sure, Harry's voice is blown out on a few songs but not all of them.
    I thought his rendition of "Save the Last Dance For Me" was kind of touching.
    "Loop de Loop" and "Rock around the Clock" are a bit of a mess, but the rest is good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.