Brian Wilson biopic: Love and Mercy

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

Hey guys, just a heads up. This is only $1 to Rent on iTunes.
    I just finished watching it and thought it was very decent (albeit a bit short). I also thought Paul Dano was fantastic as a young Brian.

Hopefully they do have a directors cut in the future :)

Jason Manley likes this.
  2. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Reiterating what Blind Melon mentioned above. U.S. iTunes has it for a $1 dollar rental $7.99 purchase. If you are on the fence and never got to see it, do yourself a favor and check it out for the $1. It's one of the best films I saw in 2015 and a truly loving tribute to an American great.

On a side note, Paul Dano did a Q/A with the Los Angeles Times today.

He's up for the Best Supporting Actor Golden Globe next Sunday and (hopefully) same for the Academy Awards(!)

3. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

So if Paul Dano is a supporting actor, is John Cusak considered the lead actor or is there no actual lead actor for this movie?

Plan9 likes this.
  4. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

I think it's more about how the studio promotes the nomination. If they (studio) think there's a better chance at a Supporting Actor nomination for Dano, they will push that 'for your consideration'.

5. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

At this point in my life, I have pretty much no interest in the Academy Awards, nor respect for what winning one represents; but it still strikes me as odd that Love and Mercy seems to have been overlooked. It did come out in 2015, didn't it?
    I get that the whole enterprise is really more of a big, um, mutual-gratification-fest rather than acknowledgement of quality, but I am still irked.

6. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Dano deserved a nomination.

[​IMG]

7. djork

djork Forum Resident

It should have gotten a sound editing (or some such) nomination too, IMO.

davenav, vince and Plan9 like this.
  8. Peace N. Love

Here's the thing from my perspective: it was a great performance in itself, but it was also amazing in that he was portraying a character whose real-life counterpart most of us have seen lots of footage of, interviews with and (if we're lucky) have seen in concert. To be able to do that convincingly, I think, makes it even more impressive.

One of my favorite moments, by the way, is that shot where he's adjusting his pants after the TV appearance, just a little subtle thing that was just real.

9. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

'Star Wars' isn't even that well edited, is it? Did they put any thought into that nomination?

And "50 Shades of Gray" has a song? Who knew?

davenav likes this.
  10. Peace N. Love

I think they do put though into it. They perhaps say, "Now we can't possibly give Star Wars any kind of real, top-tier nominations, because that might devalue the credibility of this esteemed award." "And because we'll upset Cruise and Travolta!" "No, you're thinking of that documentary. We're talking about Star Wars now." "Ah, okay, well let's just do the usual, give them some sort of technical award or music or whatever, throw them a bit of a bone."

11. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

A nomination for Dano seemed a no-brainer, for me. I'm actually pissed off for the first time in ages about an Oscar non-nom.

And, yes a sound award was another no-brainer - I thought (wrongly).

12. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

I prefer documentaries using real footage with thoughtful narration, why do we make biopics anyway???

JoeRockhead likes this.
  13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I found this film depressing.

14. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

What's depressing is Paul Dano not being nominated for an Oscar.

15. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

There's plenty of documentaries about Brian, his productions, his illness, etc.

None come close to taking the viewer inside the man's head the way this first rate movie did.

16. Matt Starr

Matt Starr Forum Troglodyte

I saw this in the theater a few months back and actually found it to be very inspiring.

sgtmono and Sammy Banderas like this.
  17. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

I thought the A&E bio on him was the best one of all, very much told the story

18. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I though it was a terrific biopic that made Brian very human considering what he went through is something most of us have probably never experienced.

Dano definitely deserved a nomination. I also thought Elizabeth Banks gave a great performance too. I thought she might end up getting a Supporting Actress nomination.

davenav likes this.
  19. Peace N. Love

Another reason to love this movie: unlike many biopics, it actually gave you some insight in the the central character's work and creative process. Some movies about showbiz folks neglect to do that.

The mention above of a director's cut got me thinking - I'd love to see a longer version. Struck me as odd for instance that Joanna Going is barely seen in the movie, so I'm guessing there were scenes with her that got cut. I mean she's not a mega-star, but she has a good enough resume that I doubt they would've cast her in a non-speaking role.

20. Sure Dano was great and so is the movie but it was a small film. A group of 6000 people vote on who to nominate. There is no meeting of a small group of people who decide what gets nominated for whatever reasons.
    Most of these 6000 probably did not even see "Love and Mercy". . .

JoeRockhead likes this.
  21. He didn't look anything like Brian Wilson to me, and I found that incredibly distracting. I hated this movie.

22. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

You hated this movie because of John Cusack? Better not watch "Say Anything", then.

23. For some is the problem was that not only doesn't Cusack look like Brian Wilson, he doesn't really look like an older version of Paul Dano either. That sort of thing takes a guy out of a movie.

24. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Personally I found no issue with the actors. Its the acting that counts for me and they both really pulled me in.

Drifter and quakerparrot67 like this.
  25. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

I disagree, have you ever seen A&E s biography of Brian? 2 hours long and really gives the best portrait of who he was and is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.