Star Wars: Episode VIII (The Last Jedi) - SPOILERS POSSIBLE*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MLutthans, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Wonder if Colt 45 was involved?

Lownote30 and Ghostworld like this.
  2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

It was rebranded "Blaster 45"

ianuaditis and mpayan like this.
  3. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I'm bummed that Luke never got to see Han before the tragic event unfolded.

agaraffa, mark renard and Classicolin like this.
  4. Classicolin

Classicolin ‘60s/‘70s Rock Fanatic/Crown Kingdom Guitarist

THE FORCE AWAKENS SPOILERS: I enjoyed The Force Awakens. It certainly was a clear departure from the aesthetic and narrative sensibilities of the dreadful Prequel films, and I thought that the new cast was excellent along with Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher - who I thought perfectly portrayed an older Han Solo and Leia Organa, respectively. The dialogue - thanks in no small part to Lawrence Kasdan - was actually coherent and respectable (unlike the last three films...). However, the plot (although not the utter remake of the original 1977 film so many online critics make it out to be) did leave quite a bit to be desired (although I expected very little in that respect, as JJ Abrams has never exemplified brilliant writing or originality). For Episode VIII, I hope the plot will strike a richer and more original character than The Force Awakens. Perhaps more importantly, though, I simply dearly hope that the ridiculous 'Chosen One' prophecy isn't mentioned in any of the sequels, or that Jedi Master Luke Skywalker isn't written to be a Jedi of the Prequel sensibility (celibate, authoritarian, boorish, scolding, unadventurous, etc.). Hamill's portrayal of the character and his arc are what I most look forward to in this trilogy, and it will certainly be difficult for Lucasfilm to bridge the young, swashbuckling and optimistic Luke Skywalker of the Original Trilogy with the devastated, failed and ageing Jedi Master of the present narrative (if they even intend to do this at all). Although I do 'buy' Luke's maturity 30+ years after Return of the Jedi, there has to be a better explanation for completely abandoning his sister and the Resistance and essentially permitting the Galaxy to possibly suffer under his former pupil, as the young Luke Skywalker was, if anything, never willing to abandon anyone or anything for whom he felt an affinity/obligation toward (e.g. his departure from Dagobah in the belief that he was saving his friends in The Empire Strikes Back and his tenaciousness in striving to redeem his father in ROTJ). Regardless of what they do, I strongly feel that Luke will have to fully re-commit himself to the salvation of the galaxy in Episode VIII.

As for the newly introduced characters, Kylo Ren was my absolute favourite. I hope that we will see him become a much more skilled and put-together swordsman and leader in Episode VIII. Seeing that Supreme Commander Snoke is renewing his training of Kylo, we will presumably see this. Rey should be more developed as a character, and I hope that her Mary Sue-esque qualities (the perfection and formidable skills in just about every crucial Star Wars element) are a bit diminished in the next instalments, as those aforementioned abilities bordered on the ridiculous in VII even if she is a Skywalker.

As for Billy Dee Williams (Lando), I hope that he does appear in either Episode VIII or IX in some capacity. It would be a great slight indeed if all of the surviving major OT characters make a return appearance in the Sequels (including even minor characters like Admiral Ackbar and Nien Nunb...) and Lando doesn't.

I also hope we get to learn more about Snoke without the mystery surrounding him dissipating him. The Sith Lords in the Prequels (and every other element of those 'films') left so little to the imagination...

5. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Agree w/ a lot of what you state. What do you mean by Mary-Sue characteristics? You mean a simpleton?

6. Classicolin

Classicolin ‘60s/‘70s Rock Fanatic/Crown Kingdom Guitarist

Thanks! And anything but! In 1973, a Star Trek fan-fiction parody story, "A Trekkie's Tale", was published in the fanzine Menagerie. In it, a 15 year old girl, the irresistably beautiful Mary Sue, joined the USS Enterprise as the youngest enlistee in the history of Starfleet, saved the crew against an alien attack, and entered into a relationship with Captain Kirk. The story satirised the largely female-created fan-fiction stories in which their fantasies were essentially played out in the Trek universe in the vehicle of a new character. The term 'Mary Sue' is now used to refer to young characters who are inexplicably and exceptionally gifted, lucky, skilled, intelligent and attractive.

Many commentators feel that Rey is a Mary Sue. In The Force Awakens, Rey, who is extremely pretty and rather young, is shown to be an extremely formidable fighter, a great shot, a capable pilot, and a more skilful lightsaber duellist than Kylo Ren, the latter having a greater degree of experience than Rey, having been a pupil of Jedi Master Luke Skywalker and a Knight of Ren. Furthermore, she is fluent in several languages - including the Wookie language - and is able to successfully execute a Jedi mind trick - again, without any training - and she's immediately offered a job by Han Solo amongst his crew. All Mary Sue qualities.

However, many of her skills are explained in the film, as she is shown to be an experienced scavenger on a rough and hostile planet (which would necessitate fighting skills, some piloting, and perhaps the knowledge of other languages), as well as someone gifted in the Force (and she is most likely a Skywalker descendant). Additionally, she isn't the only person to ever achieve a certain distinguished post or power-set at a certain age (or at all), which is a crucial Mary Sue element. Anakin ~ perhaps her grandfather ~ in Episode I is absolutely a Mar(t)y Sue, being the most powerful force empowered individual in history, the oldest human person to ever be accepted as a Jedi padawan and the prophesied saviour of the Force to boot (not to mention being a mechanical genius and exceptional pilot at eight). Perhaps, if she's a Skywalker, it's fitting that she's a Sue...

7. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Guys, this is not the thread you're looking for. This one is for Episode VIII.

Voodoo Child likes this.
  8. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

New info about the next installments from directors

http://www.yodasnews.com/star-wars-...ow-promises-profoundly-satisfying-rey-reveal/

Via thegaurdian.com:
    Star Wars: Episode IX director Colin Trevorrow has promised a “profoundly satisfying” answer to mysteries surrounding the parentage of Daisy Ridley’s character in The Force Awakens, Rey.

Speaking to Entertainment Tonight, the Jurassic World film-maker said the Jakku-based scavenger introduced in JJ Abrams’ blockbuster deserved a fully fleshed out back story.

“We’re going to make sure that [the] answer is deeply and profoundly satisfying,” promised Trevorrow, whose film is due to arrive in cinemas in May 2019, two years after Rian Johnson’s Episode VIII. “Rey is a character that is important in this universe, not just in the context of The Force Awakens, but in the entire galaxy,” he continued. “She deserves it. We’ll make sure that that answer is something that feels like it was something that happened a long time ago, far away, and we’re just telling you what happened.”

Trevorrow, 39, also signalled that original Star Wars trilogy stalwarts Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) and Carrie Fisher (Leia Organa) might still be part of the picture by the time the final instalment in the new triptych rolls around, saying that he can’t wait “to find new places that we can take those characters”.

“They are icons, but they’re also people that have suffered tremendous loss and challenge over the course of all these films,” said the film-maker. “[Episode IX] is something that needs to honour a story that’s been told over a period of 40 years,” he added. “I don’t want to ignore any of it, and I respect all of it. It’s something I think the fan base is going to embrace.”

Abrams has confirmed he knows the parentage of Rey, who many fans have linked to the Skywalker or Kenobi family trees.

9. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Kenobi. Ill bet on it.

Song4U likes this.
  10. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

11. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

12. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

I'll go Skywalker. Or in true Diznee fashion, both.

13. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

I had a feeling this might happen with talk of filming delays. Three things at play I think:

1) They (Disney) will have December all to themselves to rake in all the cash they want and not compete with other summer fare. "Oscar" films this time of year typically don't make a lot so they will be the only game in town, so to speak.
    2) This will give Rian Johnson nearly 2 full years to make his film rather than 18 months.
    3) Cuts down on the possible confusion around Rogue One (coming Dec 2016).

14. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

And thanks goodness we have Rogue One to tide us over!

15. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I thought their schedule was a bit optimistic. This may seem like a bummer, but I think it's probably best that the movies are more widely spaced out... Episode VIII was supposed to be coming only five months after Rogue One.

xdawg likes this.
  16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Another Pirates, another Cars and another Galaxy...cant Hollywood come up with something besides this?

Ok ok Im biased. I realize Ididnt say "another Star Wars????"

17. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Yes, do you want a really good movie - like The Force Awakens - or a potentially great movie? Give Johnson the time he needs, if it means a better film, it's a win-win for all concerned. J.J. Abrams was given an extra six months for his installment so it's only right they allow Johnson the same courtesy, that original release date always was a little on the unrealistic side; begin shooting this month, wrap in July, leaving a mere nine months of post for a Star Wars film with (likely) thousands of complex effect shots??? GTFO...

More time, better film... what's not to like?

mikeyt likes this.
  18. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

How could her father be Kenobi? He was like what, 70 in A New Hope? And TFA takes place like 30 years after ROTJ. Maybe his Granddaughter.

19. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

The only thing not to like is missing the experience of a new Star Wars film coming out in May. That's a very special feeling.

20. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

When I was freezing my butt off standing outside waiting to get into the first screening of Force Awakens, I remember turning to my girlfriend and saying, "Well, at least it'll be warmer when the next one comes out..."
    :doh:

mikeyt likes this.
  21. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Senior Member

Skywalker I bet. Genetically engineered from the remains of his hand that has been floating through space in a scene that has been cut from TFA. :D

22. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Just A Flea-Bit Peanut Monkey

All this talk of Luke's hand, holding the lightsaber and floating through space makes no sense at all. Assuming it fell through a vent the same as Luke did, it would have fallen to Bespin's surface. It couldn't have made its way up out of the planet's atmosphere. The lightsaber probably ended up wedged somewhere until being found and eventually making its way into Maz's possession.

23. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Plus, I kinda doubt a severed hand would have still been able to grip anything, since the tendons connecting the fingers to the forearm muscles that control them would have been cut.

LivingForever likes this.
  24. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

My only prediction is that there will be 65 variations of action figures for each major character and 45 for the minor ones.

...oh and a possible glucose-fructose shortage when no fewer than 6 Episode VIII cereals are released.

25. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Lucas worked on Episode I for five years instead of the usual three. Spend too long working on something, it runs the risk of turning stale before you finish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.