Star Wars: Episode VIII (The Last Jedi) - SPOILERS POSSIBLE*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MLutthans, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Possibly, the young Kenobi donated to that particular bank and many, many years later in a galaxy far, far away a couple that could not have kids got Kenobi's sample tube, easily recognizable from the colour and the shape

[​IMG]

;)

2. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Obi-Wan is a man. There's no reason he couldn't have fathered a child in his sixties (Guinness was 63 when he played the role).

However, she's clearly not old enough to have been born before he died so grandfather does seem more likely, if they're going there.

3. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Lucas began writing Episode I in November 1994 and they started shooting June 1997, that's two-and-a-half years not five, and the last 18 months of that was spent almost entirely on design and prep. Rian Johnson is an immeasurably better writer and director than Lucas, and he's been working on VIII for the last year-and-a-half, so another six months of total production time isn't going to do any damage; he already has a solid vision for the new film, the delay is so they can incorporate new rewrites to take into consideration broader representation for characters from The Force Awakens that really resonated with audiences (Poe Dameron, for example)... or so I've heard from my source. The main body of the film is in place; sets are built, locations are secured, filming has already begun at Skellig Michael in Ireland late last year, the film is ready to go, the delay is just to accommodate a final pass on the shooting script, and to give the film proper time in post prior to release, something the original May 2017 release date did not.

I'm fine with the delay... marginally more time means a better film overall, it worked for The Force Awakens, it'll work for the new film, it's in good hands...

Matt Starr likes this.
  4. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

I meant five years from first draft screenplay all the way through final cut of the film for initial release.

5. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

That's too bad it's pushed back but like others said more time to make it the best possible, let's hope anyway. I'm really curious what they will title Ep VIII, I really hope it's a great title. The Force Awakens was a nice title and fit well with bringing the spark back into the Star Wars universe.

So any ideas of what some great titles could be with Ep VIII? It's a hard one for sure.

6. The Hermit

I simply can't argue with someone who has probably the cutest and most utterly adorable avatar in christendom... it's like an online human shield, please change your avatar so I can properly get into it with you :D.

bluemooze and bferr1 like this.
  7. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

8. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Not a chance! My offspring is all Jedi-- nothing Sith about her except her diapers...

(By the way, I don't necessarily disagree with anything you've written...)

The Hermit likes this.
  9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'd say it's because the movie is F'd up and they realized it needed to be rewritten. This is the usual reason why a film is delayed 6 months. What the trades are reporting today is that Disney is not concerned, since they never expected Force Awakens to make $2 billion dollars. They're more than content to wait until the end of 2017 provided the next film can make at least a billion.

J.J. Abrams has said he would've loved the option of delaying the release of Force Awakens another six months to do more editing and reshoot a few scenes, but Disney really dug in their heels and insisted he hit that date. When you think about it, it's monstrously difficult to make a film of this size and get it all done in less than two years (plus however much time was taken on the script). Films like Lawrence of Arabia took a lot more than two years to finish. 2001 started shooting in late 1965 and wasn't released until April of 1968. A lot of these studios are rushing this stuff too much.

10. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

Not a surprise at all once the first one was delayed to December. Figure it would be really tough to not delay the second one when there's essentially no overlap in production and they're even still working out story.

11. The Hermit

I'd agree with every word of that; whilst I understand Disney wants/needs a return on their very-sizable investment into Lucasfilm, you would think they would have given things a bit more time, there's been script problems on both Saga installments (although 'problems' is maybe the wrong word for the VIII revisions, I'm hearing things need a bit of work still, but there's not 'problems' as such, and that a large part of the delay was the original insufficient post period, now rectified) and the Rogue One movie... that should be telling the powers-that-be they're maybe pushing the dinner on the plate before the chicken is thoroughly cooked. The three-year gap between episodes in past installments would have been a better option, but even they had script problems in the making, so I don't know, maybe it's just a byproduct of the creative process...

12. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Star Wars VIII: Jabba's Gastric Bypass

13. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Star Wars VIII: The Plot Thickens

14. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Star Wars VIII: Let's try another Death Star

15. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Star Wars VIII: Attack of Preparation H Base

[​IMG]

16. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

Let's hope the writers get a little more creative. How about a Death Solar System? Or a Death Galaxy?

Then we can all just sit back and let Neil deGrasse Tyson debunk how the science doesn't support either of these. That's when the big bucks start rollin' in.

17. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Star Wars VIII: Admiral Ackbar's Awkward Early Teens

LivingForever and David Campbell like this.
  18. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

Wait. There's a new Star Wars movie?

19. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

I would prefer to see battles/fights/chases in space with the Star Destroyers v Rebellion ships to any kind of new Death Star........as with TESB........But would these be more expensive/time consuming to create?

20. questrider

questrider Forum Resident

The Force Awakens was delayed from May to December because of rewriting the whole script from the ground up by Abrams and Kasdan. I would love to think they're delaying Episode VIII to bring Kasdan back in to clean-up Johnson's script because he really is the one who knows the flavor of Star Wars. I've always thought it to be a bit presumptuous that Episode VIII was going to be written and directed entirely by one guy as if Star Wars is an auteur's canvas. But really what this comes down to is that Disney had immeasurable success with The Force Awakens over the holiday season. And I think a lot of that had to do with people having time off from work and families being together making going to the movies a family event and Star Wars fit right into that. (Let's face it, families aren't going out to the movies over the holidays to see movies like The Hateful Eight.) There's only so much food and presents and football families can do before it becomes "let's get out of the house and go to the movies". Whereas in May you don't have time off from work, children are still in school, and other summer blockbusters are opening.

My predictive title: Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Jedi Strike Back

David Campbell, Song4U and Quadboy like this.
  21. Squealy

The release date may have been pushed back seven months but I'm not getting the impression that the start of production has been pushed back. I would think if they were heavily reworking the script they wouldn't be starting the shoot this month as planned.

22. questrider

questrider Forum Resident

That's exactly what is being reported:

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-...eturn-of-darth-vader-and-obi-wan/#more-335206

23. Squealy

OK, didn't see that in the initial announcements. It's not a huge delay though.

24. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Meanwhile James Cameron and 20th Century Fox are going :disgust::disgust::disgust::disgust: or does Cameron need even more time to work out the Avatar sequels and decided to let Disney work that time slot.

25. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I dunno if that necessarily means it's "F'd up," but they did indicate that the re-writes are more or less due to audience reaction to Force Awakens - i.e., what worked, what didn't, who resonated with audiences, who didn't...

I'm also kind of hoping they've been monitoring the fan speculation for how the story will proceed, and are making a conscious effort to steer things away from the predictable (Rey being Luke's daughter, for example).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.