Sigue Sigue Sputnik, anyone?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bhazen, Feb 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I still have my original EMI UK CD!

c-eling likes this.
  2. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I remember them well and knew most of them during and before the band. To be honest nobody took them seriously at the time, they were trying to pull a huge McLaren type hype but by this point we had seen it all before.
    I remember Murial Gray's interview, I chatted with her afterwards and she referred to Martin as 'dreggsville'

3. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

I bought the 12" single of Love Missile F1-11 when it came out (still got it!), it was great fun at the time but tbh you don't need any more than this.

4. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Dress for Excess and the first iteration of "The First Generation" I both highly enjoy :cheers:

BigManRestless likes this.
  5. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

Back in 1986, I remember buying the "Love Missle F1-11" single. Good song. :)

6. footstomper

footstomper Forum Resident

That is absolute b***ocks!
    Sigue Sigue Sputnik were friends of mine and I photographed their every move for a number of years from the early days before they were signed right up until the time of "Success". I saw almost every UK concert they did and the only thing on tape were the samples of explosions, gunfire and clips from movies. They were a fantastic live band and the best bunch of people I ever worked with. I went on tour with them in 1986 and a tatty tabloid called The Sun ran that story which was so far from the truth!
    Don't believe everything you read folks and don't pretend you were there when you weren't!

7. Farthingscat

Farthingscat Forum Resident

I didn't pretend I was there, I clearly stated my sister saw them live. To be fair it's a life time ago but that's what I recall her saying. Apologies if it's not factual, maybe she got it wrong. Were you st the Norwich UEA gig , be interested on what you saw?

Regards
    Gary

willied likes this.
  8. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

"Flaunt It" rules !!! I've got a tape when I was 14 and I still love that album until today !!! I have to play my LP again - it's long ago...

9. Farthingscat

10. c-eling

Booing sucks and can ruin a good time, it's just plain rude
    Saw Sting play up in Charlevoix @ The Castle for his first solo album, booing galore and people hucking stuff at him, I felt bad...
    A bunch of retarded Michigan Rednecks...

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  11. footstomper

Apologies Gary - I do realise it wasn't you saying that. I just got on my high horse and jumped in to defend SSS. I really hate it when I hear people repeating inaccurate accounts as I've heard it so many times. I travelled around the UK with the band on that 1986 tour and was at the Norwich gig, unfortunately I cannot remember exactly what your sister would be referring to I'm afraid. Yana used to stand stage left and control the samples and so it's quite likely they malfunctioned. I can say that anyone who ever saw SSS in concert would have been in no doubt they were watching a LIVE band. I saw them rehearse, soundcheck and perform so, so, many times. The only time they would ever have mimed was when they performed on television programmes like Top Of The Pops. I always admired Tony James because I was a big Generation X fan. I would study him closely pounding that bass and wondered how on earth he kept it up - and there were indeed times were he faltered. Neal X was a terrific guitarist too and has played alongside Marc Almond for numerous years. Neal is now is in a great band called The Montecristos, they did a terrific surf/glam/rock 'n' roll re-make of "Love Missile F1-11" for last years Record Store Day which was released on a red vinyl 7".

BigManRestless and TeddyB like this.
  12. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

"Studio line from l'Oréal. Fixing gel strong hold beat old!"

I have very fond memories of "Flaunt It when I owned the cassette in the late 80s. I will have to revisit it now that you brought them up.

Thank you!

c-eling likes this.
  13. c-eling

Didn't Phil Hartman add his talent to this album also?

14. Egg Crisis

Egg Crisis Forum Resident

Can you remember anything relating to their gig at Grand Theatre, Leeds? (It must have been 86, can't have been any later.) The reason I ask is a friend bought a ticket and then he says the gig was cancelled. A year later he was chatting to the guy at the ticket office (I was there so can at least vouch for that part) and he asked the guy about the SSS gig and the ticket office guy told him that they only sold 7 tickets and that was the reason the gig was cancelled. That can't be right can it? Surely the story has been garbled somewhere along the way?? Perhaps the gig wasn't properly advertised which would account for low sales. I would have gone to it had I known, but I saw no advertising and had no idea they'd booked a gig there. (I saw them in 89 and can confirm they were definitely playing live.)

15. Farthingscat

No offence taken foot stomper
    Regards
    Gary

footstomper and willied like this.
  16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Great production. Though the band, too much hair gel, not enough brain cells.

17. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

And the wigs, don't forget the wigs...

18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

That comes under 'brain cells'.:)
    And Bowie covered them as well,shame.

19. This.

20. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

This +1. Google it, tells you all you need to know to make your judgement.

21. footstomper

I remember the Leeds gig well because I met up with my sister earlier who was at Uni there during this time.
    The proposed gig was at Leeds University and was cancelled for security issues rather late in the day. The whole tour was a sell-out so the story that 7 tickets sold is also pure fabrication. SSS's security guard had been told by head of security at the University Union (basically some kids making a few extra quid) there had been a threat that a gang of football supporters were coming to smash the place up. SSS's own security guard didn't think the security was suitable enough to protect them and so they quickly left town and headed for the next venue. The trouble didn't end there though as the fans who had already gathered outside the venue were less than happy and some attacked the tour bus and the brake lines were also cut. These were indeed crazy times!

22. NotOneStraw

NotOneStraw Well-Known Member

holy **** this is a name I haven't heard in a long time!

I was literally OBSESSED with their debut album (on cassette) for a sizable portion of my 8th grade of high school

23. Egg Crisis

Thanks. Could there have been an earlier gig at the Grand Theatre, 1985 perhaps? He definitely said Grand Theatre, I remembered that part because it's fairly unusual for bands to play there.

24. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

There must be a warehouse somewhere in the UK with all of their NOT sold items like the box / posters etc.
    Great mediahype but it didn't worked.

25. Egg Crisis

Yeah, I listened to their first two albums for the first time yesterday and I was disappointed. The first album I thought was dreadful, even the version of Love Missile on there wasn't the same as the single version which is the version I remember. I thought the second album was better than their first although still quite disappointing. Now I can't help thinking if my opinion would have been the same if I'd listened to the albums back in the 80's instead of only hearing the singles.

Oh well, I still like their live stuff (and it's lucky that almost all the available live recordings of them are soundboards) so I guess I'll stick to those instead.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.