24: Legacy - FOX Orders Pilot With Completely New Cast

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ky658, Jan 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ky658

ky658 Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

It won't be the same (for me, at least) without Keifer Sutherland as Jack Bauer. He was great in that role.

Scott

heatherly likes this.
  3. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Meh.

It might actually be good, but without Jack Bauer, audiences aren't going to embrace it in the same way as before (I likely won't)... despite what Kiefer Sutherland and the producers have said in interviews, the star of the show is not the real-time format, it's Jack Bauer, he was the show and if you don't understand that then you won't understand why that show was so immensely popular and why audiences returned to it week-after-week, year-after-year. The same thing was true of the last season of The X Files and The Bourne Legacy but it would appear the powers-that-be don't learn from history. Plus, at this late stage, the whole real-time aspect has become too routine and familiar, robbing the new show of a freshness that it's predecessor had in spades when it started. I'll probably give this one a miss unless the reviews are stellar, it's very telling though that FOX have only ordered a pilot and not a full season...

If this new iteration doesn't catch on (and making an ill-conceived reboot with the word 'legacy' in the title isn't perhaps the template to follow, if past examples are anything to go by), FOX will be at Kiefer's front door with a dump-truck full of money for him to return, although I think the only way he could be convinced to do so would be a 24 movie, Kiefer has never fully given up on that possibility and I think he absolutely would return to his signature role if the studio were serious about making one, giving Jack a proper send-off. A movie would be a much better format than another limited series; a new season with Jack having another bad day would be pushing it a tad and have an air of "here we go again" but a two-hour feature film taking place over a single 24-hour period but not told in real-time would be different enough of a canvas to make it feel relatively fresh and worthwhile. It probably won't happen at this late stage but it would be nice if it did.

As for the new series, again, meh... but if they bring back Mandy the assassin, I might change my mind... woof!!!

Big Pasi and Mark Nelson like this.
  4. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

It's FOX.

"I'm out." - Duncan Bannatyne

Simon A likes this.
  5. ky658

You're absolutely right, I'm thinking this will be popular for the first episode or so, then diehard Jack Bauer fans will drop off...

6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I may have the opposite reaction to many. . . hated what few episodes I saw of 24 with Jack Bauer. A reboot may appeal to me if they have better direction and production values than the (earlier) 24 episodes I saw.

An African-American lead would help. I'd recommend:

Lenny James

[​IMG]

Plenty of TV experience. I like him.

CBC likes this.
  7. Alcoholic

Alcoholic Forum Resident

Not American!

Simon A likes this.
  8. Lonson

Okay. That's right. Still would like to see him in this role.

Simon A likes this.
  9. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Only if Tony Almeida is the lead role!

LSP2003 likes this.
  10. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

It should be a female.

The show ran its course with Jack Bauer. Jack is angry. He's a bad ass. He'll use any means necessary, including torture, to get what he wants. We get it. Time to move on. That last season, Live Another Day, was abominable.

Rufus McDufus and CBC like this.
  11. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Lenny James is good and he does an American accent well, though they could just cast an American to begin with. I don't care at all that they make the lead black or female or whatever color of skittle any particular person wants, so much as they just cast someone who can make a compelling character.

12. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

If they decide to build off of this clip, you may not be too far off...

Quadboy and Encuentro like this.
  13. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

That would be awesome!

Quadboy likes this.
  14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I reckon Damian Lewis would be very compelling.

15. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

What is this from? A DVD extra?

16. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

My son found it on YouTube and showed it to me (we're in the midst of a re-watch of the series), and with the news of a series reboot it made me wonder if Tony Almeida will make an appearance.

Encuentro likes this.
  17. Lonson

Yes, but he's not going to star in a Fox short series.

18. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

19. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

Agree. After like the 2nd season, almost every plot twist was telegraphed from a mile away. The Bauer character became a groan-inducing caricature pretty quickly.

Encuentro likes this.
  20. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

As it just so happens, the first two season are my favorite. It was all downhill after that. The first season was unique in that it was the only season that didn't involve either a nuclear or biological agent. Season 2 was the first to introduce that concept, and they ran with it for every season thereafter. Every season would alternate the nuclear or biological weapon plot: season 3-a biological weapon, season 4-a nuclear weapon, season 5-a biological agent and so on and so forth.

CBC likes this.
  21. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Corey Hawkins to Replace Jack Bauer in FOX’s 24: Legacy
    COREY HAWKINS FOX TV NEWS TV PREMIERE DATES
    BY MAX EVRY ON

JANUARY 25, 2016

FOX recenty ordered the pilot 24: Legacy, a potential new series installment of the groundbreaking and Emmy Award-winning drama franchise, and now TheWrap reports that Juilliard-trained Straight Outta Compton actor Corey Hawkins will step into Jack Bauer’s shoes as the new central lead. Also known for playing Heath on AMC’s “The Walking Dead,” Hawkins will next be seen in Legendary’s blockbuster Kong: Skull Island, which opens in March of 2017.

In 24: Legacy, Hawkins will play Eric Carter, a man with a troubled past who turned his life around in the Army Rangers, becoming a military hero. After settling with his wife Nicole in Virginia, Carter’s past comes back to haunt him and he’s pulled back into action. He eventually asks CTU for help saving his life and stopping what potentially could be one of the largest-scale terror attacks on American soil.

The project will be produced by 20th Century Fox Television, Imagine Television and Gordon’s Teakwood Lane Productions. The pilot will feature an all-new cast of characters and retain the real-time, pulse-pounding, fast-paced format with split screens and complex interweaving storylines, with each episode representing one hour of an eventful day.

Originally premiering on November 6, 2001, “24” was nominated for a total of 73 Emmy Awards, winning for Outstanding Drama Series in 2006. Over eight seasons, Kiefer Sutherland garnered seven Emmy Award nominations and one win for Outstanding Lead Actor – Drama Series. While the series gained global recognition, Sutherland’s portrayal of the legendary character penetrated the American psyche like no other dramatic television character to become part of the cultural lexicon. The most recent chapter in the franchise, “24: Live Another Day,” was a 12-episode event series that premiered in the summer of 2014 on FOX, reuniting series stars Sutherland, Mary Lynn Rajskub, Kim Raver and William Devane. The series was both a critical and ratings hit, garnering three Emmy Awards.

24: Legacy is a production of 20th Century Fox Television and Imagine Television in association with Teakwood Lane Productions. Howard Gordon, Brian Grazer, Manny Coto, Evan Katz and Kiefer Sutherland are executive producers. The original series, which had its last American broadcast on May 24, 2010, was created by Joel Surnow and Robert Cochran.

Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/6...k-bauer-in-foxs-24-legacy#1mfVRL4zS5Bxmuhr.99
    http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/650511-corey-hawkins-to-replace-jack-bauer-in-foxs-24-legacy

Vidiot likes this.
  22. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

23. ky658

Well, again, it'll be a different show, but I don't think it will live up to the Jack Bauer franchise...

24. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

24 everybody dies thee end:)
    Fox, need new management no more reboots..

25. ky658

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.